Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It should work on all devices. But, the "Developer Options" screen was added later. I think in the early 4.x version, but, it might have been earlier. In the older versions, it turned on some debug logging and a few other things.
It didn't work with "DevModeOn," but it did work with all lower-case ("devmodeon") with the Mini and Aura HD. I think, originally, I used "devmodeon" but I was in the Kobo Store search.

Anyhow, it works. Thanks!

EDIT: Odd quirk. When I let the old readers go to sleep (Aura HD and Mini), it loses the invert setting. To get it back I just go to the Home screen, then Settings... and it automatically goes back to inverted mode. So a small issue, but definitely odd.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-01-2020 at 10:12 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #17
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
So, if we use the "devmodeon" option, what "side-effects" should we expect - other than the one rcentros mentioned above? I am trying not to change mine from 'stock' settings if possible.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
So, if we use the "devmodeon" option, what "side-effects" should we expect - other than the one rcentros mentioned above? I am trying not to change mine from 'stock' settings if possible.
You should expect log fles to be written. SO you may have to watch your disk space or delete the every so often.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #19
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post

The other is to go to the Search box on your Kobo, and, as long as you have a local search (not the Kobo store or Wikipedia) selected, type this in, and press enter:

DevModeOn

Nothing will SEEM to have happened, but when you go to the main settings menu (the one accessible from the home screen) and select Settings | Device Information | Developer Options (which would NOT have been there before you did the Search command above), you'll see an "Invert Screen" checkbox.

All best wishes.

This worked on my Glo HD with the latest firmware. Thanks!
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I should make it clear that this "side-effect" does not exist in the Aura 2, so I'm guessing newer Kobos won't have this issue.

In the Developer Options "page" you have the following selections...

LOG SETTINGS
Save Logs: — Save (clicking this presumably saves the logs... to what?)
Logging Category: — View (Clicking "View" will bring up about a page and a half of logging categories that can be checked. None are checked by default. I don't know exactly what that means.)
WIFI SETTINGS
Force WiFi ON: — On (checkbox, not checked by default)
DRAWING
Invert Screen: — On (none of the following checked by default)
Show widget info (need reboot): (?)
Disable Double Tap Zoom:
Disable Forced GC16: (?)
Disable Dithering: (?)
Disable Regal: (?)
FACTORY RESET
Factory reset your eReader: — Reset

I don't know what most of these do.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-02-2020 at 11:10 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Do *NOT* leave Force WiFi ON (i.e., checked) unless you know what you're doing.

It *really* means what it says on the tin (i.e., the device will never sleep, WiFi is *always* on). That'll basically murder your device's uptime if it isn't plugged in.

----

Save will, well, save the logs *now* instead of during the next USBMS session.

The logging categories all do what they say on the tin (i.e., more verbose syslogs).

Show widget info is probably the one that displays the widget's names in the UI (and/or the rect, I've never enabled those via the UI, and I usually pair the two together).

I assume disable double tap zoom disables in-book zoom on images in KePub.

Disable GC16 disables the higher quality refreshes when flashing and/or displaying image content (theoretically, never tried it, as it's not something you'd want to do).

Disable dithering does what it says on the tin. Probably affects HW ditehring on Mk. 7, might also include SW dithering everywhere else (again, never tried it, as it's not something you'd want to inflict on yourself).

Disable regal disables the lower latency/lower ghosting text-to-text non-flashing updates (again, theoretically, as it's not something you'd want).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Worked on my Aura HD, thanks everyone!

Silly question I should have asked BEFOREhand... if we repeat these steps with something like "devmodeoff" will that revert it and stop the logging..? Or is a full factory reset needed?
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, devmodeoff works .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #24
Creeperm4n
Creeperm4n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Creeperm4n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Creeperm4n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Creeperm4n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Creeperm4n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Wow thats good. the only other method I heard of is pretty long
Creeperm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #25
Epubje10
Epubje10 began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
I've tried this and it works on my Kobo Clara HD. Just invert screen on or off for the nightmode and a restart. Easy. Thanx.
Epubje10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:17 AM   #26
Pierre49976
Pierre49976 began at the beginning.

I've installed KOReader mainly for his night mode, which is great, but I miss the standard book shelf presentation of the original Kobo firmware.

As this topic is 2 years old and software has evolved, what would be you're preferred method to go night mode between the 3 methods described above?
Pierre49976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:51 AM   #27
Parsley
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre49976 View Post
I've installed KOReader mainly for his night mode, which is great, but I miss the standard book shelf presentation of the original Kobo firmware.

As this topic is 2 years old and software has evolved, what would be you're preferred method to go night mode between the 3 methods described above?
I haven't used any of these options (it looks like the devmodeon method still works though), but I use Dark Mode (inverts the text in a book but nothing else) and Invert (inverts everything but requires reboot) all the time via NickelMenu and I'm very happy with them.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:09 AM   #28
Pierre49976

What would my NickelMenu config file look like if I'd just like to try Dark Mode?
Old 11-08-2022, 03:42 AM   #29
Pierre49976

I think I figured it out :
Code:
menu_item :reader  :Dark Mode          :nickel_setting     :toggle :dark_mode
And it's great!
Old 11-08-2022, 11:11 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I hope Kobo steals Kindles dark move where everything is dark but images are not inverted. Kindle does a better job than Kobo right now.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote