Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 12:14 AM   #1
ebookreadr
Enthusiast
ebookreadr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
italic at end of line causes next line to start with a space

I have been having this problem for a very long time and have not been able to resolve it.

When an italicized word is at the end of a line and there is a space after it sometimes the next line will start with a space. This happens when the text is justified. This happens regardless of whether you use <span class"... or <i>. Sometime the justification sees the space correctly and sometime it treats it like a separate word.

I am using a 2nd gen nook Simple Touch. If I convert the justification to the left it is ok. I use Sigil to make changes/corrections to my ebooks. I use the convert feature of Calibre to justify the lines. This makes it easier for me to read. I read by shape as well as spelling and when the format/spacing is different it breaks my reading flow.

This is not a major thing, but has been bugging me for years and I have not found a way to fix this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
ebookreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I use Sigil to make changes/corrections to my ebooks. I use the convert feature of Calibre to justify the lines.
Sigil exists to build e-books. Calibre exists to manage digital libraries. I think you would do better to use each for what it's meant to do. Justification is a menu option in Sigil, but better would be to include a style sheet in which each paragraph style contains the instruction; this is mine:

p {
margin-top:0.0em;
margin-bottom:0.0em;
text-indent:1.5em;
text-align:justify;
}

I have never seen the spacing problem you mention, but then I don't ordinarily read on a Nook.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like a Nook rendering issue to me. I've never noticed the the extra spacing mentioned in any of my Sigil-created epubs.

Renderer-specific justification overrides are not likely going to be something Sigil has the ability to affect.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Never saw that on my Astak. (old RMSDK)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
ebookreadr
Enthusiast
ebookreadr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Sigil exists to build e-books. Calibre exists to manage digital libraries. I think you would do better to use each for what it's meant to do. Justification is a menu option in Sigil, but better would be to include a style sheet in which each paragraph style contains the instruction; this is mine:

p {
}

I have never seen the spacing problem you mention, but then I don't ordinarily read on a Nook.
Thanks for you input. I use the Calibre convert to quickly remove the spaces between lines and paragraphs, change the left/right margins to 3pts, and change the indent to 1em. I do this because sometimes the book's original formatting is off - like having a double line space between paragraphs or large left/right margins. I don't know if these are caused by the nook or not. Often they look OK in Sigil or the Calibre reader, but not on the nook. But a quick convert to make them more readable on the nook.

PS - I also have used Sigil to fix those things, but usually when I am fixing typos or remove extra coding that the nook can't read correctly such as some special characters etc.

My general feeling is that this may be a problem with the nook, but I can't afford a new reader at this time and it has been very reliable. So I'll live with it. Besides, if I hadn't tried fixing different things for the nook, I would not have learned how to use Sigil (or other editing programs etc)

Thanks for all the comments..
ebookreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
p {
}
That's not good code at all. You do not need 0.0em. Just use 0

body {
widows: 1;
orphans: 1;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: justify;
}
p {
text-indent: 1.2em
}

Now that's better code.

As for the nook, B&N has done some odd things with RMDSK that causes some oddities.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
That's not good code at all. You do not need to break out all the margins. Just use:

body {
margin: 0;
}
p {
text-align: left;
}

Now that's better code.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That's not good code at all. You do not need to break out all the margins. Just use:

body {
}
p {
text-align: left;
}

Now that's better code.
I think JSWolf used

Code:
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
instead of

Code:
because Nook doesn't support the shorthand form.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
lolz

I was giving Jon grief because he's very predictable on certain things... thus the
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #10
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Sigil exists to build e-books. Calibre exists to manage digital libraries.
And for to build e-books.

Why do not you take a look at the Calibre editor's manual? (https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit.html) and so you can speak with real knowledge of the subject.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
And for to build e-books.

Why do not you take a look at the Calibre editor's manual? (https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit.html) and so you can speak with real knowledge of the subject.
True. It is now somewhat of a "Swiss Army Knife" tool.

At its core, calibre is a library manager and format converter. It has grown over the years adding satellite apps for ebook reading and for true ebook editing. The latter being roughly the equivalent of Sigil. Sigil remains a rather "single minded" but powerful tool; its purpose being solely ebook creation & editing.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread does not belong in the Sigil forum as it has nothing to do with Sigil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This thread does not belong in the Sigil forum as it has nothing to do with Sigil.
That's not your decision to make. You sent your report, I read it and decided against moving it, now let it go.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kovid's decision to develop the calibre editor was motivated, in part at least, by the fact that Sigil didn't have anyone maintaining it - i.e. it had been 'abandoned'.

I also recall he produced the first version remarkably quickly. Presumably because: he could leverage what calibre already had; he enjoyed doing it, or so he said at the time; there were no legacy issues (i.e. a current user base); he could avoid Sigil's legacy issues - e.g. WYSIWYG Book Editor; and he could add some features - AZW3 support, multilingual spell checking, user functions in S&R, Live CSS tool etc, checkpoint/recovery.

IIRC the initial release of the calibre editor, and Kevin H announcing he would take Sigil under his wing happened within a few weeks of one another.

I've often wondered: if Sigil had been rescued sooner, would Kovid have developed the calibre editor when he did.

Nothing above should be read as me being critical of user-none, Kevin H or anyone else.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-24-2017 at 06:40 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I also recall he produced the first version remarkably quickly.
Amazingly quickly. Scary quick, actually.