Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Anyone using FB Reader?

I use FB reader on my Android with Calibre Companion. I've just upgraded my iphone to SE and see there is a new Marvin reader to buy. Someone pointed out that I could now buy Calibre Companion for iphone. So I did.

But what should I use as a reader? If I use the old version of Marvin, then it re-copies the book, which seems space-wasting.

The FB Reader website says there is a version for Apple which is .99.5 alpha but the date on the message is Dec 2012.

Anyone know if this software is supported? Anyone using it?
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FB Reader does not exist for iOS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
reader to work with Calibre Companion on Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FB Reader does not exist for iOS.
Thanks JSWolf. What should I use to read on the iphone, then?
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Thanks JSWolf. What should I use to read on the iphone, then?
If you can strip the DRM, Marvin or Hyphen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
RottenRonnie
RottenRonnie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: FBReader on droid, Hyphen on iOS
I've found myself in the same boat recently. Butterfingers and a concrete floor saw the end of my four year love affair with my Samsung Galaxy S3 running FBReader and FBReader Calibre connection, and I've spent the past four days researching eBook readers for iOS and finally settled on Marvin, and if I gave FBReader five stars, Marvin would get four at the moment.

I should note that it is Marvin Classic (v2) on iOS 8 as opposed the the newer Marvin v3.

At this point I miss the day/night toggle that FBReader shipped with, and it's ability to deal with opds catalogues.

Marvin doesn't document it well, but it has native support for opds in library >> get books >> opds which works well to connect with Calibre Content Server. In addition, the email book feature is seamless. Simply open the attachment into Marvin as opposed to the suggested ibooks app.

It only supports ePub so many of the mobi books that just worked on FBReader now have to be converted to ePub prior to download.

I may got back to an Android device post xmas if a nice used one comes up on kijiji for a reasonable price, as I've lost a bit of flexibility in other areas such as ftp access, ssh, sftp, samba, dlna etc. The list goes on. :'(
RottenRonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I just signed up for beta testing for fbreader for iOS. I love the android version. Hopefully, it will be released for iOS soon.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I received my invite for fbReader. Its fairly primitive at this stage, no customisation to speak of, so very early days. Its stable though... Waiting for the next version wherein one hopes tehre will be ways to change font, justification, margins etc. I'd also like to have the slider dimmer switch as per the android version and most otehr IOS readers these days. I like to slide.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fb reader, iphone, marvin