Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
daviowa
daviowa began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD (wifi)
Question PRS-900 (Daily Edition)

I'm considering buying one of these, but first would like to know if the 3G connection is still working/available and, if so, whether it's useful for anything (given the Sony Reader store is now defunct).
daviowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I've never tried turning on the wireless on my PRS900 before. I can't figure out a way just to lauch a browser window, looks like it just accesses the Reader Store which, as you said, is defunct. Tells me that it can't connect. I'm not sure if it's trying via 3G or via my wireless router. It couldn't access my router anyway since that's password protected.

This weekend I'll take the reader out and about where there's free wireless access and see if I can get anything on the PRS900 but I don't think it'll be successful.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was unable to access anything using the 3G on the PRS900. I do live in a rural area though. Unless you can jailbreak it to launch a regular browser window, I don't think the 3G is useful.

I'm also unsure if you can upgrade the software on it to the last software that goes to the Kobo store. If you can, then it might be useful to buy books from Kobo.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
daviowa
daviowa began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD (wifi)
Thank you, Hemmi! I live in an urban area and still wasn't able to connect using the 3G. And according to Sony's website, there's no firmware update to this model, as far as I can tell: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...d#/downloadTab

I guess I'm stuck with physically loading books onto it, but that's ok. Won't be the first or the last time I do it! :-D
daviowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

You should be able to update the software to the latest edition which accesses the Kobo bookstore. I haven't tried that yet but it might be worth a try. Or, you can jailbreak it? I've never done that either but if it can be done, I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere.

In another thread about older Kindles, someone said they can still use the 3G to access their emails.
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
You should be able to update the software to the latest edition which accesses the Kobo bookstore. I haven't tried that yet but it might be worth a try. Or, you can jailbreak it? I've never done that either but if it can be done, I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere.

In another thread about older Kindles, someone said they can still use the 3G to access their emails.
I'm pretty sure the PRS series was not upgraded to be able to access the Kobo bookstore; only the Sony T series is compatible.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

According to Sony's site it should be. At least when I plugged in the model number PRS900 it lead me to the page to download the last version of Reader software.

Alas, Reader software won't recognize the reader at all. Found posts all over Sony's forums about this problem starting last summer but no solution. I know I updated my T1 to the latest version but that was a while ago. So, either Reader software is not working any longer or the latest version isn't compatible with a PRS900. Guess I'll try it with one of my T readers and see if it's the reader or the software.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm pretty sure the PRS series was not upgraded to be able to access the Kobo bookstore; only the Sony T series is compatible.
Correct.

Quote:
As of late March, you can buy eBooks from the Kobo Store directly from your Reader desktop software application. Beginning in mid-June*, you’ll also be able to shop on kobo.com directly from specific** Wi-Fi Readers from Sony. And with the free Kobo reading app, you can continue to download, store and read your eBooks on your Sony device, or any Kobo eReader or tablet.

**Sony Readers PRS-T1, PRS-T2, and PRS-T3.
https://www.kobo.com/sony
https://www.kobo.com/sonyfaq
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

Well, that probably explains why the Reader Store software that has the Kobo store doesn't recognize the PRS900. I'm sure Sony doesn't care that that's the version of software they point you to to download when you put the model of your reader as PRS900.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviowa View Post
I'm considering buying one of these, but first would like to know if the 3G connection is still working/available and, if so, whether it's useful for anything (given the Sony Reader store is now defunct).
Reading with the 900 is like reading with a mirror. The touch layer used is very reflective. It also kills the contrast. And finally, there's no front light. Because the 900 is a stretched 6" Reader, a light will be a lot weaker toward the bottom of the screen if you could even get a light for it.

Overall, I think going with a new Reader that has a better screen and a light would be better. Since you do want a Reader with a screen larger than 6", a Kobo Aura H2O (better contrast, better resolution, front light) at 6.8" would do better than a 900 (IMHO).

The on feature the 900 has that I wish all Readers had is a user replaceable battery. If it wasn't for the really poorly designed touch layer, I would have bought one.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Have you considered the 950? At least it has better contrast (Pearl panel) and I think it also had Wifi so you could at least use the browser to access Calibre wirelessly...?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-900