Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
gefluegelt
gefluegelt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre 2.82 ebook editor not working - MAC OSX

I do not know WHEN it stopped, but certainly a few weeks ago I still COULD edit my ebooks via Calibre. Not any more, unfortunately - the respective window just stays empty. Going back to version 2.70 did not help. Others I did not try.

Calibre 2.82
MacOs 10.12.3
epub format
The ebook I used for tests originally was converted from epub to mobi, so I am not quite certain what format gets edited. Upon removal of the mobi version, however, the situation does not change.

Are there ebooks around which are protected from editing? After all, I was able to convert them...

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

PS: I just found out at least a workaround: I could edit the mentioned ebook(s) with Sigil 0.9.8. I suspect the failure of the Calibre editor to be due to some rights restrictions perhaps implemented by recent MacOS patches.

Last edited by gefluegelt; 03-23-2017 at 06:05 AM. Reason: new findings
gefluegelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect if it was a 'right' issue, Sigil would also balk

Since you converted it FROM Mobi, the 'DRM' problem would no longer be an issue

I suspect that the book had minor damage (from heavy handed editing?) and the other Editor was more forgiving (I've had it go both ways )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:12 AM   #3
gefluegelt

The respective files were NOT converted from Mobi to epub in the first place, they were (and continue to be) all epubs. And the failure to edit these via Calibre is true for all of them - I've tried it in the meantime. Also, even files I know to have edited via Calibre in the past are no longer editable by Calibre.

My remark concerning the "rights" was not in view of (possible) restrictions ba Amazon, the sole distributor of mobi files, as far as I know. I rather wonder whether the Calibre editor uses some kind of plug in, Java script or whatever for its editing function. In some cases, one must allow this under MacOS explicitly (SnagIt e.g.). Such a hint - which should be expected then - however, never showed up.

On the other hand, Adobe Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 stopped working properly (at least in some respects like printing) due to a Java problem (Apple stopped supporting an older Java version which is required by CS5).

Since Sigil allows for editing with (apparently no problems) even those epub files which were included in the Calibre library before, and since these files as far as I can see afterwards show up correctly in the Calibre ebook reader, the problem can be bypassed.

Still the failure of the Calibre editor to work is curious. I did not fiddle around with my Mac, btw. It's all out of the box plus updates as required. I wonder whether other Mac users encounter the same problem.

Last edited by gefluegelt; 03-24-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Most likely the OP just hid the panels in the calibre editor. Click the View menu and enable the Files Browser panel, then double click on any file you want to edit.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefluegelt View Post
I do not know WHEN it stopped, but certainly a few weeks ago I still COULD edit my ebooks via Calibre. Not any more, unfortunately - the respective window just stays empty. Going back to version 2.70 did not help. Others I did not try.

Calibre 2.82
MacOs 10.12.3
epub format
Identical setup here. No problems with Edit Book at all.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:20 AM   #6
gefluegelt

"Most likely the OP just hid the panels in the calibre editor. Click the View menu and enable the Files Browser panel, then double click on any file you want to edit. "

I tried to follow these suggestions - no success. There is no "view" menu (or it is called differently in the German version. (will try out the English version in order to double check - no success either).

"Identical setup here. No problems with Edit Book at all. "

Good to hear - but the problem continues to be with my setup anyway.

Is there a way to post screenshots here?
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I tried to follow these suggestions - no success. There is no "view" menu (or it is called differently in the German version. (will try out the English version in order to double check - no success either).
When you are in the book editor alt-v opens up the menu that was referred to as the View menu.

Quote:
Is there a way to post screenshots here?
Yes. If you are posting using the Quick Reply editor at the bottom of the thread click on the Go Advanced button to get to the advanced editor. Once in the advanced post editor click on the paperclip to attach any screenshots you wish to share to the post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:22 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
When you are in the book editor alt-v opens up the menu that was referred to as the View menu.
In my German Interface - its Anzeigen (Alt+a), Google translates that to Show.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In my German Interface - its Anzeigen (Alt+a), Google translates that to Show.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #10
gefluegelt

Problem solved! The "view" menu in German indeed is "Anzeigen". Since I never needed this before, it escaped my attention. Upon selecting this menu, no (sub)entry was selected. Upon activating "file browser" within this menu the page list of the open book shows up and then you can edit.
I do not know when the "file browser" entry was unselected, I do not recall doing it. I also did not find a hint towards this in the manual - perhaps it should be mentioned there a little more explicitly.

In any case - thanks to all posters for their support!

Tags
calibre ebook editor