Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-16-2024, 04:39 PM   #16
NeilF
NeilF began at the beginning.

Device: Ink Pad 4
How is the TTS on Boox Page vs Pocketbook? Is Pocketbook still the better way to go?
NeilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:34 PM   #17
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
How is the TTS on Boox Page vs Pocketbook? Is Pocketbook still the better way to go?
You might have to clarify what you mean by “better”. All android devices use Google’s speech synthesis (there are other apps which use other voice engines, but that’s going into a whole different area). If you have an Android phone or tablet you can download the pocketbook app and try out the tts. That will give you a fair idea of how it will work on the Boox. It will be using Google’s tts.

As for the dedicated Pocketbook eReader, there are some YouTube videos demonstrating the tts function. The dedicated device uses ReadSpeaker voices. Personally, I prefer google’s voices, but that’s a matter of taste.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/news/text-to-speech-ch
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2024, 05:49 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Pocketbook app will use what ever TTS is installed on android and most of the Playstare-ITS use the Google engine, or whatever engine is installed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:06 PM   #19
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Yes, but the Pocketbook eInk devices (Era, InkPad, etc) use the ReadSpeaker voice engine.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:03 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I found that the Kindle App on Android stops at the end of last paragraph on a page and needs restarted (which might be top of next page). The PocketBook and Google Playbooks Apps work fine.
The Fire is really an Android Tablet with Amazon store replacing Playstore, which is why it's possible to get Playstore Apps or apks running on it. The Kindle App on the Fire is obviously preinstalled and slightly different (buying ebooks was disabled on the Playstore version, but might come back after 1st March in EU).
To clarify, Kindle app for Android does not have TTS, only TalkBack (Android screen reader) support. FWIW, continuous reading with TalkBack does work with the Kindle app on my Galaxy Tab A, running Android 11. Maybe there is some TalkBack mode where it only reads the current screen, but if so, I could not get Kindle app to do this.

While Amazon support for screen readers is better than nearly all other reading apps (except Apple Books and maybe Google Play Books) it is sort of half baked, and hasn't improved in years. For example, it doesn't highlight text as it is reading it, even with Amazon's VoiceView on Amazon devices.

For actual Android devices, PocketBook is a much better choice than Kindle app using TalkBack. It even highlights text as it reads.

For Fire tablets, the Kindle app has TTS support for non-fixed layout content (subject to DRM restrictions), and it's relatively easy to install the required 4 APK files, including Google Play store to get PocketBook or other apps. For one-off downloads, I've used APKMirror without any issues.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-20-2024 at 04:11 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, of course the Kindle app behavior is Accessibity, not TTS. TTS while usable for blind and partially sighted is general purpose. Kindle K3 and DXG have TTS but the PW3 and later have voice view aka talkback.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:39 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
yes, of course the Kindle app behavior is Accessibity, not TTS. TTS while usable for blind and partially sighted is general purpose. Kindle K3 and DXG have TTS but the PW3 and later have voice view aka talkback.
I simply must nit pick: the K2 and Kindle Touch have TTS as well.

K3 has a rudimentary screen reader called VoiceGuide, toggled with Shift+Spacebar.

https://ilmk.wordpress.com/2011/10/1...-aka-kindle-3/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:33 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I have the DXG, K3, and PW3, but not the others. I did have an Oasis Gen2 but didn't investigate speech.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:47 AM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
I have been using Kindles since Kindle 2. However I am looking a an ereader with a good TTS.

I am aware of the newer Inkpad4 but wanted to know if there is anything out there better?

I'm at the age now where my eyes get a little tired reading and wouldn't find occasionally switching to TTS.
TTS works well on my PocketBook HD 3 when I (rarely) use it. You have the choice of several different voices.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:46 AM   #25
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
All android devices use Google’s speech synthesis (there are other apps which use other voice engines, but that’s going into a whole different area).

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/news/text-to-speech-ch
It's same area own outside of AI Voice generator.
Most Android devices use Google TTS as it is already part of the system.
TTS applications are divided into TTS engine (Google TTS, Samsung TTS, Ai, MS etc) and content (machine speech, Ivona, Acapela etc)

There are many good TTS engines and applications that support them, and they are completely free (it also depends on the brand of device, as in the case of Samsung and the Samsung TTS engine, which has its own engine and its own TTS voice / Language pack https://galaxystore.samsung.com/deta...lang_fr_fr_g01).

For example, you can try it for free T2S or Acapela

In the application for reading TTS, all you have to do is change the voice source in the settings.

So, for example, I can use the application for reading TTS EVIE books, and choose Acapela or T2S as the TTS source in the application. (of course you can also use Google TTS)

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 02-23-2024 at 07:57 AM.
Michal Jancik is online now   Reply With Quote