Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
jamesorr
jamesorr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choisya View Post
I live in the UK but am thinking of getting a US friend of mine to purchase a Kindle for me to get over the warranty issue. If she also purchased Amazon.com e-books with her card would she be able to email them to me for me to download them? Or could she send me Amazon.com gift cards for me to use on their e-book downloads?
I don't see why not, you can download the kindle files directly from "Your Media Library" on amazon. This is what people in the US who do not have whispernet coverage have to do. You may even be able to register the kindle with your own amazon account and purchase items yourself. They're not selling kindles to people with mailing addresses outside the US, but there may not be any restrictions on registering one. Your friend should buy it as a "gift" purchase and then it won't be pre-registered to her own account (but even if it is, you can still change it).
jamesorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I had submitted a CS request about this issue and this is the rather unsatisfactory reply I received:
[INDENT]

However, you can purchase Kindle books that interest you
before your Kindle arrives and they will be ready to download as soon
as you receive your Kindle.
I am getting a Kindle for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can send the samples to my Kindle before it is opened and out of the box. (Since I can't open it until Dec 25th.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this is possible, do I have to use the USB to transfer the samples? Or will they be there already? I know these may be dumb questions but I was curious.
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
Wheezie
Wheezie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650
No, you can't add a Kindle book to your wishlist. I contacted Amazon because I was so stumped, and they confirmed that you aren't able to do so via their web site, only from browsing the Kindle store from your device. Many people just send themselves a "sample" of the book to keep it as a wishlist on their Kindle, but I hate all of the clutter.
There is a round-a-bout way that I add it to my wish list on the Amazon site.
When you are looking at a book, it also shows what other formats it comes in, hardback, paperback... just pick one of the "real" book formats and save it to your wishlist, then when you are ready to buy, just pick the Kindle format.
Many people have noticed this and have inquired it seems. I don't understand Amazon's lack of support for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I have ordered my Kindle but not received it yet. I really would like to add some ebooks to my wishlist. Christmas is coming and people want to know what to get me. I only have a button to buy the book on their site. I can't seem to add it to my wishlist. I'm hoping that feature will be there if I have a registered Kindle.
Wheezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomevegan View Post
I am getting a Kindle for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can send the samples to my Kindle before it is opened and out of the box.
Yep, you can. Amazon will queue up any "sends" and as soon as the device jumps on the network they will be downloaded. No USB needed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #20
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezie View Post
No, you can't add a Kindle book to your wishlist. I contacted Amazon because I was so stumped, and they confirmed that you aren't able to do so via their web site, only from browsing the Kindle store from your device. Many people just send themselves a "sample" of the book to keep it as a wishlist on their Kindle, but I hate all of the clutter.
There is a round-a-bout way that I add it to my wish list on the Amazon site.
When you are looking at a book, it also shows what other formats it comes in, hardback, paperback... just pick one of the "real" book formats and save it to your wishlist, then when you are ready to buy, just pick the Kindle format.
Many people have noticed this and have inquired it seems. I don't understand Amazon's lack of support for this.
If you open the "rating" window (click on the stars) for your book, you will find an "add to wish list button" - Go figure, but it's there on the right side!

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #21
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep, you can. Amazon will queue up any "sends" and as soon as the device jumps on the network they will be downloaded. No USB needed.

BOb

Thanks for your help! I am lucky enough that my wonderful mom decided to let me have my baby early lol! It came today and I have already started reading a new book on it. She also let me buy a book. I chose Nightworld Book 1 as my first book (it has 3 stories in one) It caught my eye in a book store once, but I never got around to buying it. I love it so much already and its only been a few hours!

I have tried a sample and have downloaded the feedbooks guide and will probably download the mobileread one too. Got some free classics ready to go. My mom thinks I am crazy because I told her I am going to attempt hard books like War and Peace.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations awesomvegan! Your mom rocks! You're a much braver person than I by being willing to tackle "War and Peace". Let us know if you make it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #23
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Congratulations awesomvegan! Your mom rocks! You're a much braver person than I by being willing to tackle "War and Peace". Let us know if you make it.
Yes my mom rocks! She is awesome! I am not tackling War and Peace QUITE yet, I am going to do some lighter young adult reading first lol. I am reading NIGHTWORLD Book 1. It has 3 books in one. I don't know if I will read them one after another. I am also reading Twilight for the second time. (see my siggy) Should I be afraid of the classics like War and Peace?

At least if I hate it its public domain.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #24
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

I went through a russian novels phase. I read Anna Karena and a couple more on an old Palm IIIx. You should be fine.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #25
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I know this is an old post, but I just joined up today, and realized that I have found a way to add Kindle editions to a wishlist. Sort of.

If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, and the Amazon app loaded, you can search for a book title + kindle, and the search result will have an "add to wishlist" button.

I've spent a fair bit of time today building up a wishlist of all the books I want to load on my new Kindle when it arrives.

I've also sent in a feedback email through the Amazon iPhone App, because I'd really like to be able to purchase a Kindle book from my iPhone, for instance if I'm at a friend's house without my Kindle, then I don't have to go though the "add to wishlist, remember to purchase later" dance.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #26
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Two ways to add Kindle books to your wishlist:

1. If the book has user reviews, click on the "## user reviews" link, then you will see an "add to wishlist" button in the upper right of the page.

2. Use Amazon's Universal Wish List Button in your browser.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
It seems counterproductive not to enable wishlists and gifting of downloadable content. It's a much easier gift to send than physical products. Bandwidth is likely much cheaper than shipping and packaging.

I pre-ordered the Dark Knight on Blu-ray, as such, I was entitled to the free Amazon On-Demand download version. On the movie's release date, Amazon sent me an email with a promotional code to claim the download. Perhaps a similar system might be implemented for gifting Kindle editions? I don't own a Kindle yet, but maybe Kindle owners can band together and request a wishlist system for Kindle ebooks?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #28
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Two ways to add Kindle books to your wishlist:

1. If the book has user reviews, click on the "## user reviews" link, then you will see an "add to wishlist" button in the upper right of the page.

2. Use Amazon's Universal Wish List Button in your browser.
I've really been liking the Universal Wish List button. I was even able to add donations to my local food bank as a wish list item.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #29
jamesorr
jamesorr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K View Post
You currently can't use amazon gift cards for downloadable things - "Gift Cards cannot be redeemed for purchases of downloadable goods" from the terms and conditions.
Actually, you can. I did this after I got some amazon certificates at christmas.

What you can't do is use the certificate as you purchase, but if you simply enter the code at "Apply a Gift Certificate/Card to your account" under "Your Account", then when you buy a kindle book the price is deducted from your available balance rather than your credit card.
jamesorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K View Post
You currently can't use amazon gift cards for downloadable things - "Gift Cards cannot be redeemed for purchases of downloadable goods" from the terms and conditions.
When you get an Amazon GC, you simply go to your account, click on the 'apply to my account', enter the number, and bingo bango......anything ordered, including ebooks, is automatically deducted from the GC first.

Ask me how I know.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote