Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Shiimis
Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600 [sold]
Plato: Lysis [Bilingual: greek / english]. v2.1. 30 Aug 2011

Plato is one of the most important philosophers in Western history. Although 2500 years have passed since Plato wrote his dialogues, they are still relevant today both philosophically and as works of fiction. Plato's ability to convey serious philosophical issues through conversations anyone can understand and relate to is unsurpassed.

For a reader who is serious about studying Plato, it is recommended to read his dialogues in greek. But if you feel you're still not ready, I have also included a translation of text for reference.

Lysis is one of the most controversial dialogues of Plato and it has been often neglected among scholars. Plato is accused of incoherent structure and simplistic treatment of issues in question. Situation has changed in past decades and several scholars have produced convincing arguments about philosophical value of dialogue.
Lysis is a dialogue of many layers, but at the heart of conversation is the question of how one becomes a friend to another. Investigation of what philia (love, friendship) is, leads to much broader questions about desire. Although aporetic in nature, dialogue still manages to provide a possible solution to the initial problem and even give a general account of desire, which is later reused in Plato's Symposium.

About this edition:
Text is taken from “Platonis opera, vol. 3”, edited by J. Burnet. Standard Stephanus pagination is preserved and some formatting is introduced to improve the readability of text. Unfortunately it means that original Stephanus line numbering is lost, but page numbers are still intact. This decision was made because preserving line numbering would completely sacrifice readability when changing font size.

THIS EDITION IS NOW BILINGUAL!!!
I have included translation by W.R.M. Lamb found in "Plato. Plato in Twelve Volumes, Vol. 8", Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press;London, William Heinemann Ltd. 1955 (which is freely available for download @ http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/). Endnotes are preserved.

Both texts are synchronized using standard Stephanus pagination. In one case a line was missing in translation which I allowed myself to put in the text.

If you want to jump between original text and translation just click on the appropriate Stephanus page. Endnotes are accessed the same way.

I hope this bilingual edition will be interesting to a wider audience.

You are welcome to comment and suggest improvements or new features.

Changelog:
v2.1
- Fixed a bug with embedded font.

v2.0
- This edition of Plato's Lysis is now bilingual. You can switch between original text and translation by clicking on Stephanus page.
- Fixed some formatting mistakes.
- Adjusted sidebar text so it aligns more correctly with the main text. Can't make it perfect. Looks different on different devices.
- Changed font for original text to Gentium. Font is modified to include only necessary characters to keep the file size small.

v1.1
- Fixed issues with font scaling for Stanza users;

v1.0
- Initial release;

Last edited by Shiimis; 08-29-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Book is now bilingual.
Shiimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
brauronios
brauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watchbrauronios is clearly one to watch

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiimis View Post

[...]
For a reader who is serious about studying Plato, it is recommended to read his dialogues in greek. But if you feel you're still not ready, I have also included a translation of text for reference.

[...]

About this edition:
Text is taken from “Platonis opera, vol. 3”, edited by J. Burnet. Standard Stephanus pagination is preserved and some formatting is introduced to improve the readability of text. Unfortunately it means that original Stephanus line numbering is lost, but page numbers are still intact. This decision was made because preserving line numbering would completely sacrifice readability when changing font size.

THIS EDITION IS NOW BILINGUAL!!!
I have included translation by W.R.M. Lamb found in "Plato. Plato in Twelve Volumes, Vol. 8", Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press;London, William Heinemann Ltd. 1955 (which is freely available for download @ http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/). Endnotes are preserved.

Both texts are synchronized using standard Stephanus pagination. In one case a line was missing in translation which I allowed myself to put in the text.

If you want to jump between original text and translation just click on the appropriate Stephanus page. Endnotes are accessed the same way.

I hope this bilingual edition will be interesting to a wider audience.

You are welcome to comment and suggest improvements or new features.

Changelog:
v2.1
- Fixed a bug with embedded font.

v2.0
- This edition of Plato's Lysis is now bilingual. You can switch between original text and translation by clicking on Stephanus page.
- Fixed some formatting mistakes.
- Adjusted sidebar text so it aligns more correctly with the main text. Can't make it perfect. Looks different on different devices.
- Changed font for original text to Gentium. Font is modified to include only necessary characters to keep the file size small.

v1.1
- Fixed issues with font scaling for Stanza users;

v1.0
- Initial release;

You did a marvellous job providing a bilingual edition of Lysis. Do you not plan to resume it, making similar editions of other dialogues too?

Last edited by brauronios; 10-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.
brauronios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert