Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-17-2024, 05:54 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Mostly open?

I'm wanting to move on from Kindle. Is there a recommended e-ink platform that's mostly open? I don't have to have root, but I'd like to choose my reader.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:44 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You could try the Kobo line if you are looking for an open ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:12 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If by "choose my reader" you mean that you want access to multiple reading applications, you could use an Onyx Boox device to get a full Android experience. Kobo has very good native reading software, but you can also run KOReader on Kobos, if you so desire.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:01 AM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Thanks for the replies!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:43 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm wanting to move on from Kindle. Is there a recommended e-ink platform that's mostly open? I don't have to have root, but I'd like to choose my reader.
PocketBooks are based on Linux and can be rooted.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:19 AM   #6
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
PocketBooks also have an official SDK meaning that it is possible to write your own software for it. I think there are several GitHub projects containing user Pocketbook apps.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:27 AM   #7
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
I'll add my vote for a Kobo as well. For me, they're just the right mix. I have access to the Kobo bookstore for purchasing books, I can grab ebooks from my local library via Overdrive, and I can also convert and sideload books using Calibre.

I've had a number of Kobos over the years and have loved every one of them. None of them have died on me, I just fall victim to "gotta buy the new hotness" syndrome every few years or so.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:11 AM   #8
therealTOEBEANS
therealTOEBEANS began at the beginning.

Device: Android - KOReader - S22 Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If by "choose my reader" you mean that you want access to multiple reading applications, you could use an Onyx Boox device to get a full Android experience. Kobo has very good native reading software, but you can also run KOReader on Kobos, if you so desire.
To add onto this... that company has a lot of different models, including the Boox Palma. It's the same size as a normal phone, but with an e-ink display, and like you mentioned full Android.

Their devices have full Google Play Store support, too. A lot of other Android-based ereader devices don't. You can download or sideload any app you please from KOReader to Kindle to Kobo to Instagram.

Issue: very expensive compared to Kindle. They know what they have, I guess. They also can't offload costs to ebook sales...
therealTOEBEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:21 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealTOEBEANS View Post

Issue: very expensive compared to Kindle. They know what they have, I guess. They also can't offload costs to ebook sales...
The price is certainly not the only reason people buy something else instead. I have absolutely no desire to buy a Boox ereader, for example, no matter the price - I have no need for a full Android OS on my ereader that I only use for reading books. I don't particularly like Android reading apps either, and proprietary apps like Kindle and Kobo even less - I prefer to remove the DRM and manage my books in Calibre.

Kobo eink readers do everything I want my ereader to do and I'm quite satisfied with them (I've also tried other brands, but I did not like them as much).

So it all depends on what you want from your ereader.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:54 AM   #10
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Some Hisense ereaders are very good e.g. Hi Reader Pro. Can be rooted and Android 14 installed while keeping the e-ink refresh optimisation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eink/commen...hisense_a9_hi/
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote