Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-16-2024, 02:38 PM   #1
GrandNeko40
GrandNeko40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question tiny, phone-sized reader?

i'm looking for a tiny reader that i can easily fit in my pocket (like, a jeans pocket) and really, truly take with me everywhere.

i own a Kobo Libra 2, and i absolutely love it -- but sometimes i want something even more compact, because its dimensions are somewhat unwieldy when i want to leave the house without a sling, pouch, backpack, or other bag.

i bought a Boox Palma, and it's a really great size... but my ideal tiny reader would be one that doesn't run a full-fat android fork. just a device running a reading-only OS/frontend with epub support, 2+ week battery, and semi-modern specs (reasonable screen refresh rate, etc).

anybody know of something like this on the market?
GrandNeko40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:42 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The various P47L ereaders. No touch, but not a problem for only reading.
Can be turned off for long charge standby as it boots as fast as some Kindles wake!
There are different brands of the same thing and installed Flash was higher. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345353

Available Denmark, Amazon, and Chinese sellers. €70 to €100 inc local Irish tax and shipping.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:56 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The various P47L ereaders. No touch, but not a problem for only reading.
Can be turned off for long charge standby as it boots as fast as some Kindles wake!
There are different brands of the same thing and installed Flash was higher. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345353

Available Denmark, Amazon, and Chinese sellers. €70 to €100 inc local Irish tax and shipping.
How well does it support ePub? How's the reading experience?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:36 AM   #4
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
If you want to have a cheap, tiny and simple device without a lot of tech specs you can have a look at Woxter Scriba 195 S.

Woxter Scriba 195 S.

The contrast in ambient light is very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8509.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	206953  
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:52 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How well does it support ePub? How's the reading experience?
It's fine. Similar to using a Sony PR-350, but no collections.
No subtitles, publisher info, synopsis or series either. Does have a most recently used list. No touch or front light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
If you want to have a cheap, tiny and simple device without a lot of tech specs you can have a look at Woxter Scriba 195 S.

Woxter Scriba 195 S.

The contrast in ambient light is very good.
Yes. that's the same as the P47L I got from Denmark. It's at the end of the thread I linked.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:38 AM   #6
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
The P47L/Scriba is poor compared to an InkPalm/Hisense/Palma (I've owned them all). Badly designed software and very short battery life (unless it's fully powered down between every read).

I just leave my Android readers in Moonreader with wifi/bluetooth off and it doesn't really make much difference they're running Android. But they're much more adaptable if you do want to change something about the software. That said, the Palma has weak battery life for an Android device (a downside of BSR).

My favourite pocket reader is the Hi Reader Pro.

Last edited by rowe; 03-17-2024 at 08:44 AM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:45 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
The P47L/Scriba is poor compared to an InkPalm/Hisense/Palma (I've owned them all). Badly designed software and very short battery life (unless it's fully powered down between every read).
I agree battery (charge life) is poor due to tiny size, however it boots so fast that it's useable to power off/on.

The SW is very minimalist, but no worse than Kindle models with no touch. Seriously better to read books than a Palm PDA!

It pops apart easily.
Quote:
My favourite pocket reader is the Hi Reader Pro.
I'm not familiar with that.

I don't like Moonreader or MTP. I'd use Bluefire, Aldiko or Lithium on older Android and Pocketbook on anything that runs it.

I'll accept Android on a full featured tablet, but it's a lazy solution for a dedicated ereader.

What sort of price and size are the InkPalm/Hisense/Palma/HiReader Pro?

Last edited by Quoth; 03-17-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:38 PM   #8
GrandNeko40
GrandNeko40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'll accept Android on a full featured tablet, but it's a lazy solution for a dedicated ereader.

What sort of price and size are the InkPalm/Hisense/Palma/HiReader Pro?
agreed. i recognize that Kobo would almost certainly never release a device so small, because they're a company who needs to keep a more tightly-focused range of devices, each of which appeals to the largest demo possible, rather than experimental, niche "toys" like a less-well-established company can afford to do. Rakuten can't just "throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks" like a lot of these others tend to, because they have much more to lose if it doesn't sell well. however, a tiny Kobo -- running their own well-designed, single-purpose OS -- would make me quite happy.

the Palma (and Hisense A9, and the other ones) are essentially the size and shape of an iPhone 13/14/15 or a standard Android phone. approximately 6" diagonal screen, at approximately a 2.15:1 ratio. extremely easy to fit into a (men's) pants pocket, or your coat, or whatever. the Palma costs $280 USD, and i'm not too sure about the others. it varies widely based on the specs... but again, i do not care about "specs". just gimme a a good, purpose-built, single-function OS and an SoC snappy enough to run it, and a nice screen.

Last edited by GrandNeko40; 03-17-2024 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typos
GrandNeko40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, kobo, palma