Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-10-2024, 03:19 PM   #16
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
AlReaderX has now reached an optimal level of development. The Google Play version is out of date.
If it has indeed reached that level, why doesn't the author update what's on Google Play?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:54 PM   #17
Arconte
Enthusiast
Arconte began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx TUC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytes View Post
In case anyone's interested, I ended up with a Boox Tab Mini C and love it.
You bought the correct eReader, or better said, tablet. It is finally a eInk tablet, and the reason for the developing of all these years. To read with it is only one of the few things you can do with it. At the end we got an eInk device fast enough to use it for almost everything and to trust it for fast note taking.

I am sure you are using for more things than you imagined. Just need a 12 or 13 android version and a sligthly more power, and a frontal camera for online meetings, and that's it (we don't need 4k and 16million of colours for work meetings)
Arconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:48 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want a color Reader, I can recommend the Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3.

https://pocketbookstore.com/en-gb/pr...inkpad-color-3

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-21-2024 at 04:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:09 AM   #19
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of multiple Kaleido 3 devices, now that several are available. Although they might share some baseline hardware, the other screen layers will be different and they will also be driving the screens very differently. BigMe claim to have significantly reduced ghosting in their units in a firmware update, for example.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:05 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
They will all have the same basic panels from eink Corp
Speed (Fastest is 55ms vs 0.3ms to 3ms for LCD) is fastest at poorer levels.
They will not vary much in brightness in ambient light, i.e. much dimmer than mono.

Some have poorer to use top layers. Polished glass is worst.
See also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81#post4399981

Kaleido 3 screens are exclusive to eink corp. The actual ARM cpu based motherboard can be wildly different.

Reduced (or no ghosting) and most levels of drive is at the slowest update speed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:53 PM   #21
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They will all have the same basic panels from eink Corp
Speed (Fastest is 55ms vs 0.3ms to 3ms for LCD) is fastest at poorer levels.
They will not vary much in brightness in ambient light, i.e. much dimmer than mono.

Some have poorer to use top layers. Polished glass is worst.
See also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81#post4399981

Kaleido 3 screens are exclusive to eink corp. The actual ARM cpu based motherboard can be wildly different.

Reduced (or no ghosting) and most levels of drive is at the slowest update speed.
Yes that's exactly my point. Different devices and manufacturers have made different trade offs, and having some kind of head to head comparison will reveal differences that a single device review would not.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:08 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It will be minor, not an order of magnitude, nor significant unless the maker has used a too cheap or obsolete motherboard/CPU design. The basic drawback is that they are color eink. I used to think it was a worthwhile niche for coloured comics. The mono eink is absolutely worthwhile on 4.7″ to 8″ devices to read novels.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:31 AM   #23
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arconte View Post
I am sure you are using for more things than you imagined.
Not really - I bought it for reading coloured-text books, and that plus a third-party dictionary is what I use it for.
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:49 AM   #24
Krytes
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
AlReaderX has now reached an optimal level of development. The Google Play version is out of date.
How different is the colour handling on the updated version? The Google Play version allows the user to set text colours from within the app, but there's no option in "CSS & Book Properties" to respect CSS colours baked into an epub. My text has different colours for individual characters, so a blanket 'text colour' setting in the app won't be good enough.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:11 PM   #25
Krytes
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
What app do you read with on your Tab Mini Cs - Neoreader?
I use NeoReader or Lithium for Chinese books, and usually MoonReader+ for English books.

NeoReader has the most customization options by far, and a long-tap on a character not only jumps directly to the definition in Pleco, it also searches intelligently by word and not just character (so long-tapping 跳 in 暴跳如雷 will take you directly to the entry for 暴跳如雷 and not for 跳 without you needing to highlight the phrase manually). The only disadvantages of NeoReader for me are that images show up rather small by default (you can long-tap to jump to the full-size image), and the 'tap to display pinyin' javascript doesn't work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	neoreader.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	206549

"Tap to display pinyin" does work on Lithium, and you can also do long-press dictionary lookup with Pleco, although not as seamlessly (it's an extra click to choose the dictionary, and if you want to look up a phrase you need to manually highlight the entire phrase). The main problem with Lithium for me is that you're restricted to a few default fonts, none of which look especially great in Chinese.

Name:	lithium.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	206550

Moon+ Reader just... fails terribly on my Chinese epubs, not respecting text colour or hiding pinyin. It's fine for English though.

Name:	moon.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	206551

Last edited by Krytes; 02-23-2024 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Add more information
Old 02-23-2024, 02:27 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Moon+ Reader just... fails terribly on my Chinese epubs, not respecting text colour or hiding pinyin. It's fine for English though.
Attachment 206551
7-8 years back when I played with Moon+. I had to dig into Moon+ reader's setup to uncheck "Disable CSS styles" and enable "Show Preview with publisher formatting".

Doing this displayed the book using the publisher stylesheet but also messed with using fonts, permitted only vertical scrolling, etc.

This situation, hopefully, has improved since the last time I played with Moon+.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:38 PM   #27
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
How different is the colour handling on the updated version? The Google Play version allows the user to set text colours from within the app, but there's no option in "CSS & Book Properties" to respect CSS colours baked into an epub. My text has different colours for individual characters, so a blanket 'text colour' setting in the app won't be good enough.
The most recent universal versions incorporate CSS colour support. In theory, it should work on tablets and smartphones (although I don't have a book of your specifications to check). The problem is that Onyx e-readers are detected as e-ink devices and have more limited colour options even if you use the universal version of AlReaderX. I don't know if other brands have this problem (someone with a Bigme device might be able to tell us).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2024-02-23-21-16-11-352_com.neverland.alreaderext.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	206555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240223_211952.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	206556  
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:56 AM   #28
Krytes
Enthusiast

Interesting, might be worth a try if they change their approach for e-ink devices.