Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2024, 10:18 AM   #1
cliffsloane555
cliffsloane555 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Replacing a Kindle Voyage?

First, let me say that there is a lot I like about my 7th Gen Voyage. The page-turning buttons, Wiki lookups, and ability to send via wifi are tops. If it were not for its age (and the finite life of solid state chips) and the clumsy "experimental" browser, I'd stick with it. Which I may still do.
There are appealing features of newer devices, especially dark mode, but they are nice, not essential.
So two candidates remain standing for me, Pocketbook Verse Pro and Kobo Libra 2.
Almost 100% of my reading is articles from newspapers and magazines, sent from browsers, with photos and links to web articles.
Replace?
If so, which?
cliffsloane555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:42 AM   #2
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
I personally would maybe also consider the Libra 2's android cousin, the Tolino Vision 6 (assuming it is available in the US). It might work better if you use the browser a lot with options like EinkBro at your hand*.

Edit: I've been doing some googling and turns out you might not be able to freely install 3rd party apps on the Tolinos? I don't own one myself so I don't have a way to personally test this.

Last edited by hanakomisa; 01-13-2024 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Adding clarification for app installs on Tolino devices.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:08 PM   #3
cliffsloane555

After nearly 1,000 views and but one response, can I assume that the best option is to stick with Voyage? It's a choice I can accept.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:19 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsloane555 View Post
After nearly 1,000 views and but one response, can I assume that the best option is to stick with Voyage? It's a choice I can accept.
I'm guessing there aren't that many people here who regularly use "the experimental browser" on their ereaders (the obvious exception being Android eink tablets, but their browsers aren't experimental), hence no suggestions. Most ereader users presumably read regular books or documents on them. For my part, I've not used the browser on my eink readers for a decade, at least, so have no idea how well it works.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:55 PM   #5
cliffsloane555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm guessing there aren't that many people here who regularly use "the experimental browser" on their ereaders (the obvious exception being Android eink tablets, but their browsers aren't experimental), hence no suggestions. Most ereader users presumably read regular books or documents on them. For my part, I've not used the browser on my eink readers for a decade, at least, so have no idea how well it works.
In a typical afternoon, I will read about 20 articles. The browser takes me to Wikipedia in those occasions when the term I'm looking up doesn't have its own page or the highlighted term has a mistake. Then, I may go to the web page where a cool new article is mentioned. In that typical afternoon. I am on the browser maybe 15 minutes. Not heavy use but more than trivial.
I can put up with the browser if the Voyage is worth staying with.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:55 PM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If the browser is important to you, then getting an Android device is pretty much your only option. You may want to look at the Boox Page.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:19 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
So two candidates remain standing for me, Pocketbook Verse Pro and Kobo Libra 2.
Almost 100% of my reading is articles from newspapers and magazines, sent from browsers, with photos and links to web articles.
Do you mean you want to browse on this device, or will you be browsing on a more suitable device then sending articles to your ereader? If the latter, the Kobo + Pocket combination _might_ suit you, if these articles are correctly formatted for Pocket.

I mostly just read books, so I can't be much further help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:05 AM   #8
cliffsloane555

To clarify, I don't really "browse" on the Kindle. Mostly, I just expand the Wikipedia lookup to read more or figure out a typo on the highlighted name. This takes up maybe 5% of my reading time, and is just annoying because it's slow.
The advantages of the Voyage over potential replacements (Leaf, Page, Libra, Verse) are strong enough to put up with the slow browser. The others have far better customizations, especially dark mode, but it isn't worth spending the money when the Voyage works so well.
Call me old-school
Old 01-17-2024, 05:21 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To clarify, I don't really "browse" on the Kindle. Mostly, I just expand the Wikipedia lookup to read more or figure out a typo on the highlighted name. This takes up maybe 5% of my reading time, and is just annoying because it's slow.
OK, but you still haven't made your workflow clear for the bulk of your reading. That's what I was asking about.

"Almost 100% of my reading is articles from newspapers and magazines, sent from browsers, with photos and links to web articles."

Sent from what browser on what device? Sent how?

Unless you clarify that you're unlikely to get a useful tailored response.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:36 AM   #10
cliffsloane555

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
OK, but you still haven't made your workflow clear for the bulk of your reading. That's what I was asking about.

"Almost 100% of my reading is articles from newspapers and magazines, sent from browsers, with photos and links to web articles."

Sent from what browser on what device? Sent how?
Every other day, on my desktop, I go through my subscriptions and visit key websites (Atlantic, LRB, Substacks, etc), then send the articles I want to my Kindle using extensions like "Push to Kindle" (Fivefilters) and "Send to Kindle" (Oxyry). I use several browsers and a few OS (Mint, KDE Neon, Windows 10).
They allow me to enter different email destinations, not just @free.kindle.com and select epub rather than aws3.
Dropbox integration takes tinkering but would work.
The Kindle browser further lets me see if a linked article is worthwhile; if so, I write it down and send it from my desktop browser another day.
Better?
Old 01-17-2024, 11:40 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Every other day, on my desktop, I go through my subscriptions and visit key websites (Atlantic, LRB, Substacks, etc), then send the articles I want to my Kindle using extensions like "Push to Kindle" (Fivefilters) and "Send to Kindle" (Oxyry). I use several browsers and a few OS (Mint, KDE Neon, Windows 10).
They allow me to enter different email destinations, not just @free.kindle.com and select epub rather than aws3.
Dropbox integration takes tinkering but would work.
The Kindle browser further lets me see if a linked article is worthwhile; if so, I write it down and send it from my desktop browser another day.
Better?
Gotcha! I haven't checked each of those individual sources, but if they're correctly tagging their articles as articles in the HTML, the Pocket-Kobo workflow should also work nicely for you, leaving your options open.