Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #31
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Seems to me like you might be confusing "reading" with "getting to the end."
I don't think I'm confusing anything at all.

Of course, I've actually used RSVP. Somehow, I'm doubting others here have.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #32
tomfyhr
Enthusiast
tomfyhr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post

Is there anyone that can tell me what RSVP stand for and what its software does?
tomfyhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #33
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_...l_presentation

The unique method used by RSVP allows for the reading of unlimited text in a limited position. Researchers from Carnegie Mellon have found that as many as 12 words per second are readable in controlled situations (720wpm). Further research has shown that for shorter pieces of text, RSVP formats increased reading speed by 33% with no significant differences in comprehension or task load.

Research done by the Wichita State University suggests that at 250 words per minute (WPM) comprehension was not significantly different from reading done using Palm Reader (EReader). Display at 650 WPM reduced comprehension by about 20% versus display at 250 WPM, from a score of 74.6 to 52.1, resulting in an effective 82% increase in words comprehended per minute, assuming the scoring is linear. Studies have shown that reading rate is determined by size of text and spacing. RSVP allows users to obtain a maximum reading rate through the ability to adjust text size and eliminate space by displaying one item at a time.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #34
tomfyhr
Enthusiast
tomfyhr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Studies have shown that reading rate is determined by size of text and spacing.
Does that mean that social media, which usually has little amounts of text, increases reading speed and in thus good in that regard?
tomfyhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

You're confusing at least one thing: me being interested in, or wanting to talk about RSVP. I'm not, and I don't.

People mentioning that they're not interested in "reading faster" is not the same thing as saying "RSVP doesn't work, and no one should use it."

Perhaps if you slowed down a bit you'd realize that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #36
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
You're confusing at least one thing: me being interested in, or wanting to talk about RSVP. I'm not, and I don't.
Then...don't. I'm interested in talking about it so I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
People mentioning that they're not interested in "reading faster" is not the same thing as saying "the software you keep talking about sucks."
Well, the topic of discussion is reading faster. If they aren't interested in reading faster, there are other threads. If they are interested in reading faster, this is a very effective way of doing so.

Quote:
Perhaps if you slowed down a bit you'd realize that.
Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to assume others realizations. If they aren't interested in reading faster, don't use the software. Personally, I doubt very highly anyone in this thread has used it, which is why I asked what software they used.

If someone doesn't know something, why speak on it?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #37
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfyhr View Post
Does that mean that social media, which usually has little amounts of text, increases reading speed and in thus good in that regard?
I don't think that's quite what it means. I don't think there's much difference in WPM read reading a short sentence or a long paragraph.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If someone doesn't know something, why speak on it?
No one but you was "speaking on it" (RSVP).
Old 07-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #39
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
No one but you was "speaking on it" (RSVP).
Difference being, I know about it.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

And no one else cared about it. That's why is was so weird that you started defending it and/or advocating for it (or advising people to not knock it) in a thread that really has nothing to do with how to increase your reading speed.

Nobody was saying anything for or against RSVP. They were only indicating their interest (or lack thereof) in reading faster. Which for some weird reason, you took as somehow badmouthing RSVP.

But whatever ... feel free to continue arguing with yourself.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #41
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
And no one else cared about it.
That's fine. That's why I said it was "too esoteric for most".

Quote:
That's why is was so weird that you started defending it and/or advocating for it (or advising people to not knock it) in a thread that really has nothing to do with how to increase your reading speed.
The topic of discussion was reading speed.

You yourself said:

Quote:
I had a similar experience with a scrolling reading app. My problem was that it actually increased my eye movement, rather than minimized it.

Obviously, you haven't used RSVP either.

Quote:
Nobody was saying anything for or against RSVP. They were only indicating their interest (or lack thereof) in reading faster. Which for some weird reason, you took as somehow badmouthing RSVP.
I didn't take it as anyone badmouthing RSVP, I took it as no one knowing anything about RSVP, which, judging by the context of the statements made by you and others, seems to be pretty accurate.

Quote:
But whatever ... feel free to continue arguing with yourself.
Thanks. Feel free to abstain from replying if you dont want a conversation.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #42
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Display at 650 WPM reduced comprehension by about 20% versus display at 250 WPM, from a score of 74.6 to 52.1, resulting in an effective 82% increase in words comprehended per minute, assuming the scoring is linear.

Actually thank you for that. So it is scientifically proven that RSVP is NOT good if you want to actually comprehend what you are reading. The amount your are comprehending goes down the faster you read, even though you try to convince me that I comprehend more words per minute? No thank you, as you can easily calculate the amount you don't comprehend goes up even faster.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #43
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Actually thank you for that. So it is scientifically proven that RSVP is NOT good if you want to actually comprehend what you are reading.
You would be vastly mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger
The amount your are comprehending goes down the faster you read, even though you try to convince me that I comprehend more words per minute? No thank you, as you can easily calculate the amount you don't comprehend goes up even faster.
Yes. At 1000 words a minute, you may have some problems. At 500 WPM, comprehension is fine and in my experience, 650 is fine. I have no troubles with comprehension or retaining working memory.

Of course, I've actually tried it. My sole experience with it isn't from reading a wikipedia link while trying to find something wrong with it so I can argue about it.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks. Feel free to abstain from replying if you dont want a conversation.
It's amusing to me that you think what you're doing is conversing.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #45
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
It's amusing to me that you think what you're doing is conversing.
Please, continue to feel amused.