Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Way to temp. stop indexing

I will also put it here, as it can be useful to other people.

I have found out, that if I set attr. "read only" to Index.db in Search Indexes, the kindle will stop indexing and will be fast again.

I have now around 5k books waiting for index, and the system is as fast as if index is already done....

(I have K3, did not test it on the rest)

Last edited by jozicka; 10-05-2010 at 03:34 AM.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's also a private command to stop/resume indexing if I remember correctly.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
Wouldn't '~disableIndexing' accomplish the same?
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumburgh View Post
Wouldn't '~disableIndexing' accomplish the same?
where? I do not use any hack for remote control my K3.

Edit - apology - you are right - I'm just a new to K3 - so I just came to this : menu - search - ;debugOn and ~help ....

Last edited by jozicka; 10-07-2010 at 04:48 PM.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
MVB
MVB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Hi there (I'm new!),

I've been having serious problems with the bloody indexing on my Kindle. I tried everything over the last week, but even once the stuff is indexed, I often have to index it again and again and again, so my battery life is more pathetic than a netbook on downers. This forum seemed like the only place with any answers.

I just set up Jailbreaker on my kindle and I found the other thread on disabling the indexing by changing the flag in that file. The problem is, I've been trying all day and the usbNetwork isn't setting up. For whatever reason, I just can't do it that way.

This command (~disableIndexing) certainly works for me, but I'm curious as to what the limitations are. Does this last until the next time I reboot my Kindle, or will it remain indefinitely until I re-enable it?

If it's going to stay disabled until I reboot, then that's not a problem, I've never had to reboot my Kindle before today. If I reboot it, I'll just log the command again... but if it's going to stop anywhere shy of that, then I'm going to need to keep hunting for a more permanent solution.

Cheers

-MVB
MVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAIK, it should hold until a framework restart, which, under normal circumstances (ie. no hacks), should only ever happen in case of a crash, a reboot, or an update.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote