Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #16
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
It didn't, indeed. Now my PRS300's fu**ed up: it endlessly keeps trying to update the firmware...
What do you mean? Did the reader state "firmware update has failed"? If yes, use this (by porkupan) to unbrick it. Then install any of the alternative firmwares (PRS+, or this one by porkupan.

Another way is to directly use this installer by amutin.

Actually knowing which firmware version did you have when installing and what exactly has happened would help me help you.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #17
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Check my first post's attachment.

Saturday I installed it again. It failed. So, I "forced" it and I tried "Flash PRS+ Firmware".
Failed again. And I couldn't go anywhere: none of the buttons worked anymore. So I hard reset and it repeated the install procedure (which fails). At this point I removed your prs-plus installation file from the Sony drive and hard reset the device.
Now it keeps searching for it endlessly, till I reset the device: after I reset the device it shows me a screenshot which tells me that it failed the firmware installation and I can't go anywhere from it because when I reset again the device it restarts searching for the firmware update. And I can't write on the Sony drive and I can't format it.
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #18
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Geppetto
Your first post was related to another version of the installer which was 2 month ago so your firmware could have changed in between.

After reader restarts 10 times, it detects "something wrong is with firmware" and falls into recovery mode. To recover from it, you could use one of the programs I've mentioned in the previous post.

Quote:
Saturday I installed it again. It failed.
What was the error message?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
Samhain77
Samhain77 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-300
Very good work!

Just a little question: is there a way to add italian language in the reader's menu?

If needed I can translate the english version to italian!!

Please let me know!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain77 View Post
Very good work!
Thanks. I assume you've tried it and it works for you.

Quote:
Just a little question: is there a way to add italian language in the reader's menu?

If needed I can translate the english version to italian!!

Please let me know!
You need to translate 2 files, the XML and then this js (don't touch the code, only convert strings). Sony section of JS files should be very similar (but not 100% the same) as the XML.

It might be that js part was already translated, pampalini was going to do it, I think you better contact him first.

Take into account, that XML part (Sony's standard stuff) won't change in the future, but JS part (PRS+ stuff) will.

PS
Both files must be UTF-8 encoded. You can do it with jedit or gazillion of other semi sophisticated editors.

Last edited by kartu; 09-06-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
Samhain77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Thanks. I assume you've tried it and it works for you.

You need to translate 2 files, the XML and then this js (don't touch the code, only convert strings). Sony section of JS files should be very similar (but not 100% the same) as the XML.

It might be that js part was already translated, pampalini was going to do it, I think you better contact him first.

Take into account, that XML part (Sony's standard stuff) won't change in the future, but JS part (PRS+ stuff) will.

PS
Both files must be UTF-8 encoded. You can do it with jedit or gazillion of other semi sophisticated editors.
Very good, i've contacted pampalini and till he replies I'm going to translate the XML file.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Since the 300 is no longer in production and since you never got your firmware to run correctly in the first place, isn't this a moot point now.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Since the 300 is no longer in production and since you never got your firmware to run correctly in the first place, isn't this a moot point now.
No it isn't. First I believe "my firmware" runs fine (maybe you are referring to the 2 month old attempt to simply copy 505's code 1:1 over to 300? Yes, that didn't work well, buttons were reconfigurable, but CPU wasn't idling correctly). Second, when PRS+ for 505 was founded, 505 was already no longer in production, so what? I'd try to port to even older 500 if a friend of mine wouldn't sell his device.

I don't quite get where does all the aggression come from. So you don't (anymore?) own 300, well, but others do...

Quote:
Very good, i've contacted pampalini and till he replies I'm going to translate the XML file.
Great!

Last edited by kartu; 09-06-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #24
Samhain77

Kartu I've just finished to translate the XML and almost at the end of the JS file (pampalini didn't reply me) and I'm able to build a modified version of your firmware. The only thing I need to know is how to add the Italian language to the menu.... I've tried to modify file "300_bootstrap.js" adding the lines for italian languages but it seems not working..... Should I replace an existing language instead?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #25
kartu
PRS+ author

Samhain77
You should add it to the bootstrap and also put the assets.xml file into 300\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\scripts\l anguages\it folder.

Also copy language.xml from en locale, in some bizarre cases it might be needed.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #26
Samhain77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Samhain77
You should add it to the bootstrap and also put the assets.xml file into 300\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\scripts\l anguages\it folder.

Also copy language.xml from en locale, in some bizarre cases it might be needed.
Ok good. Have you an idea why the firmware isn't working anymore? If I try to flash it it says it's installed (I can see the installed version in the installer) so I force the installation but when the reader reboots I only have the original Sony firmware (I can see the version in the About screen and all PRS+ menus are gone.....)

I've tried to reflash with porkupan's firmware and it works... then go back with yours and all I have is again Sony original firmware....

Last edited by Samhain77; 09-07-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #27
kartu
PRS+ author

Samhain77
If you correctly modified bootstrap js it should work.
There is also "safe mode", when reader is connected to USB during startup, PRS+ doesn't start.

Quote:
then go back with yours and all I have is again Sony original firmware....
I can't explain this... :?

I'll be testing various firmwares these days, to bring 18160 and iron out issues you might have experienced.

ps
Could you post translated files please, so that I include them in the next release?

Last edited by kartu; 09-07-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #28
Samhain77

It seems to be working now with your firmware but I can't get my translation to work......

I've attached my translated file.... you surely can get these to work!!

By the way.... I've created an Italian Localization file for the installer..... here it is attached...
Attached Files
File Type: zip PRS Italian Loc.zip (9.2 KB, 170 views)
File Type: zip PRS Installer Italian Loc.zip (1.3 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by Samhain77; 09-07-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
Samhain77

It seems I've worked it out!!!!

I've just have your firmware translated in italian!!!
I've had to download your sources again to works it out!

Now I only have to make some adjusting on the translation and it should be fine!!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #30
kartu
PRS+ author

Samhain77
Nice. Italian for Italian is "Italiano", right?

PS
Quote:
It seems I've worked it out!!!!
Oh, great!
Don't forget to post amended translations.
Closed Thread