Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
It works fine on the Fires which are the 2nd gen & 10"
I trying to find out How these work on the PW4 sheesh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Ok more googling finds this press release. Looks like they don't offer it for e ink kindles, so your pw4 gets sent a different format, more like a pdf.. I thought I had tried one on a pw3 but I must be misremembering or confusing that with trying the k for Android app

Unless there is a more recent announcement anywhere
Press Release

Amazon today announced the Kindle debut of comiXology’s Guided View experience, now available on the Kindle app for iOS, Fire tablets and Android.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #18
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
It works fine on the Fires which are the 2nd gen & 10"
I trying to find out How these work on the PW4 sheesh
If you keep replying with sheesh and to people asking reasonable questions in order to help, eventually no one will be willing to help.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Assuming the following is the graphic novel in question, guided view does work on e-ink.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A820U0A/

Note, this may need to be downloaded directly to the Kindle over the internet (as kfx). I seem to recall some comic-related controls not working properly with download and transfer via USB (azw).

Also, double tapping for guided view, it still displays the full page first and then if you go to next, it will display individual panels.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-14-2020 at 05:01 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
I all Ready have the book Yes I got it from Amazon Thought PW 4 WAS made for this
To be honest, a tablet would be much better to read comics with. If it was manga, that would be different as manga is not in color.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Also, double tapping for guided view, it still displays the full page first and then if you go to next, it will display individual panels.
When I do the Double Tap all it does is popup the header & footer then changes the page

I did download it direct from Amazon over the internet.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 01-14-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #22
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
E-ink Kindles support panel view, where the series of panels on each page can be individually shown one after another.

Guided view is animated panel view. It shows the relative position of each panel through animation. It is not available on e-ink devices.

What is Guided View?

Quote:
Guided View allows readers to view a comic on a panel-by-panel basis in a way that mimics the natural motion of the user's eye through the comic. Suitable for mobile devices, Guided View animates panel-to-panel movement with each swipe to give a clear indication of how the story progresses across each page. Guided View features include:

A guided panel-by-panel reading experience using the panel order set by the publisher
Panels magnified to full-screen size and centered
Custom masking colors around each panel when magnified

Last edited by jhowell; 01-14-2020 at 08:56 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #23
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:
When I do the Double Tap all it does is popup the header & footer then changes the page

I did download it direct from Amazon over the internet.
Where (on the screen) are you double tapping? I cannot reproduce this behavior.

But first: what firmware version is on your Kindle? (5.13.3 is current, I think)

They’ve changed things since I last tried this: IIRC, you used to be able to switch into and out of Guided View via the menu. The double tap rate needs to be pretty fast or it just turns two pages/panels. It should not matter where you double tap.

And what is up with the PAGE DISPLAY options: Animation On/Off, Fit To Screen On/Off, Page Refresh On/Off, Orientation. But only Page Refresh is enabled for the ‘Troublemaker’ book and another GN I tried.

On another graphic novel, “Indeh”, which does not support Guided View, has Yet Another format with its own set of page display options: Animation (disabled), Crop Margins, Page Refresh, Virtual Panel, Preview Double Page Spread, and Orientation. This is ‘manga’ format, but in this case, with reversed manga navigation (which starts at ‘back’ of book, you have to tap left side to advance, and reverse Z pattern when in Virtual Panel mode).

When Virtual Panel is On, you can toggle with double tap and it sort of walks the (full page) images around in Z pattern.

In Landscape, for this book (which has large margins baked in), Crop Margins is disabled. Makes things very unpleasant, as it displays 2 pages side by side.

Downloaded an ‘actual’ manga and it worked much better in Landscape with VP on: no wasted space.

How to turn on Animation? What could it possibly look like? A teaser for some Super Kindle in the works?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote