Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
PageEdit: where is the "reload" button

Hi,

PageEdit first timer...

I understand that I need to save doc in PageEdit to see the changes in Sigil. But if I do a change in Sigil, how can I reload the PageEdit view to update it before making more changes?

Ctrl+R doesn't seem to work.

Cheers
François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
PageEdit does not cache pages, but instead loads them directly to and from disk. So if you make changes in Sigil and use a tool that saves the changes to disk (ie. run any plugin or run a report, etc) those changes should be available the next time you navigate to that page in PageEdit but that was not its intent.

Again, PageEdit is NOT BookView. It is designed for simple edits and proofing of nearly final versions. It was NOT designed for going back and forth to make a change in PageEdit then a change in Sigil and then a change in PageEdit , etc. It assumes you want to work in a Visual environment. If you need to see the code itself, use PageEdit's Inspector to show the code of that Page, and using right click in the Inspector, you can even modify it at the code level if that is what you want. Otherwise simply save out of PageEdit, make whatever major changes you want in Sigil and relaunch it.

So exactly what are you trying to do that requires going back and forth repeatedly from Sigil to PageEdit to Sigil to PageEdit that can not be accomplished with the Inspector right in PageEdit?

Last edited by KevinH; 01-01-2020 at 11:21 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the clarification
But I am not sure I understand: if PageEdit reads from the hard drive, it should be able to reload like any other browser displaying a page from a file that I edit with notepad++.

Use Case
My main use case is "pasting as Html" which is at the very beginning of my workflow, not at the end.
And after pasting, I have then to cut the sections (so that will be in Sigil) and paste again some new html at the end of my text once it is cleaned up.

From what I see, this is the only reason for installing pageEdit. (really wish this feature had been kept in Sigil, although I understand some choices had to be made to upgrade the old bookview).

Devtools
(yes, having the devtools might become an interesting feature, especially for interactive epubs for educational purposes, relying heavily on javascript... but it wasn't the first item on my wish list)

Cheers
François
Old 01-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is that Sigil itself caches all changes in files and any only writes them to disk for plugins, reports, and launching an external editor. Once they are saved to disk, PageEdit should be able to see those changes once you navigate away from the current page and back.

So your work flow could be as follows:

1. Fire up Sigil
2. Make the current Tab the OPF
3. Launch PageEdit though the Icon
4. Paste your xhtml, and then use PageEdit's menu to insert a Sigil Split Marker, continue doing that, etc.
5. Once you have your basic material loaded in PageEdit and Saved, you can exit PageEdit
6. Back in Sigil you can use the Split at Markers tool to split the xhtml pieces into proper sections/chapters.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Forma
Sorry, functionally but not factually correct.

Last edited by patrik; 01-01-2020 at 05:46 PM.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
fxp33
Addict

Hi,

@KevinH thanks for the process, I think I better understand it now. Although the double click on ".opf" yields a message at the bottom "External Xhtml viewer works only on html resources"

@patrik thanks, I get it now... maybe something for future development.

Best regards
François
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20200101_203810.png
Views:	20
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	176022  
Old 01-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
KevinH
Wizard

How old a version of Sigil and PageEdit are you using? PageEdit and Sigil added support for loading via the OPF file a few versions back.

Also, contrary to what Patrik wrote, PageEdit always reads and writes directly to files. It is Sigil that caches file contents internally that makes it appear as if changes in Sigil do not appear in PageEdit after PageEdit is launched.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
fxp33
Addict

@KevinH indeed, using the portableapp version, I was kept backward... just updated, and it works fine.

Thanks again.
François