Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #61
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, PRS-T3, PaperWhite 2, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried then unweighted ChaeInk that I've posted? It's the same weight as Charis SIL. So if you want to up the weight yourself using the Reader controls you can do so. Or just leave it as is. I'd like to know what ou think of ChareInk starting with the unweighted version.
Ah, I didn't know that you did another version at regular weight. I'll give this a shot when I have some time. I feel that for a fair shake I need to read at least a couple of books using a font, so it may take some time
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #62
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Unless the font is unreadable and throws me out of the book I read on the default font.
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yep. Same here. I only know the names of a handful of fonts. I'm very happy to be font agnostic. Caring about them seems like a nightmare to me--a deep, dark rabbit-hole I refuse to let my OCD start down. My eyes tend to glaze over when people start mentioning words like serifs, sans, kerning, ascenders, etc... . THAT'S pure "cognitive noise" to me. Font-size and line-spacing are what I concern myself with.
I'm mainly in the same camp. The K2 only has one font, and I didn't pine for a different one. The K4NT added the ability to condense, which I tried, liked, and have stuck with. The Voyage provides a choice of fonts. I tried them, then went back to Caecilia Condensed.

For whatever reason, on the PB360 I prefer its sans font, so I don't prefer serifs present or absent in general. Sometimes, on some screens, one looks better than the other to me.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #63
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ChareInk would work best for getting you a smaller line height when using your Kindle to read with.
Do you have kindle screen shots of the same text with the same font size settings (preferably 4 with no FONT_RAMP) for ChareInk and Caecilia Condensed?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #64
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
That lexend study has so many holes in it.

Sample size is ludicrously small

Grade levels for reading are highly subjective, I was reading at a “college level” when I was in 5th grade. For the non Americans here the last grade before college is 12th.

They used a single serif font vs four variations of their own font

This isn’t taking into account all the other variables which could be reduced by addressing the above.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #65
rtiangha
Addict
rtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I used to use OpenDyslexic, but switched due to limited script support. I now use Andika for Roman and Cyrillic and Skeirs for Gothic. I force my browser to use these, and wish I could force my Kindles and reading software to do the same.
If you didn't know, the creator of OpenDyslexic has been working on a new version with increased glyph support and has moved to using a SIL license. You can view all the new characters in this pdf.

It's not finished yet, but it's pretty close. You can download the latest pre-release version from October for free from their GitHub project page (and bookmark it so you'll know when the final version comes out). You can put it in your fonts folder along with all your other fonts and when you load it in a book, it'll be used instead of the built-in version with the more limited glyph set (or, at least that's how it works on a Kobo; I don't have a Kindle so I don't know if it works that way on there. But you can also use it on your computer too).
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #66
droopy
Addict
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma. Laptop is Linux Mint
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps you noticed that there is no bold, bold-italic or italic variant of Lexend? Actions speak louder than words.
Because of what you wrote, I've removed all Lexend fonts from my Kobo, and will also remove Lexend from my laptop in the future.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #67
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Just curious if anyone is familiar with how these tests are done. Is the testing that Lexend describes reasonable and valid? It seems to have several problems to me but I don't understand this type of thing very well.

I read this on the lexend page:
Quote:
20 third graders, eight males and twelve females, read for one minute in five fonts.

All text was set at 16pt and the reading materials were two grade levels above the participants current grade level to ensure the typography was being measured, rather than reading competency.

Each student read out loud a passage set in a control of Times New Roman, then four of the Lexend Series — Regular, Deca, Mega, and Giga.
Then they give the results with the best scores going this way:
Quote:
2 - Times New Roman
2 - Lexend Regular
1 - Lexend Deca
9 - Lexend Mega
5 - Lexend Giga
I don't see how this study can prove that Lexend is better. At most it says to me that kids get faster when reading in a consistent font. It appears that the students got used to the Lexend fonts and by the time they were on the 3rd or 4th Lexend option they were quicker on the uptake. It does not say that Lexend is better, just that they were used to it by then. I want to know what would have happened in the 3rd or 4th time through with using Times New Roman or a VERY similar variant? Would it have stayed the same? Would they have improved? Etc. Would students who got 4 TNR variants and one Lexend variant still have a 17:2 preference for Lexend or would it flop. (My guess is that it would flip, but I don't see anything here to say one way or the other.) I assume they varied what order they gave the fonts to the students but given that Lexend is essentially the same just with different spacing I don't see how much that really matters.

Anyway, looking for some insights on this type of study. Thank you!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:50 AM   #68
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Honestly, I had a hard time reading the Lexend webpage. Font spacing seems too big.

I really like Bookerly on e-ink. I didn't like any of the default fonts on the Kobo nor other custom fonts I tried so I ended up extracting Bookerly from the Kindle's firmware update file and copied it to the Kobo.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 AM   #69
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Is the testing that Lexend describes reasonable and valid?
Testing is always reasonable and valid if it confirms your preconceived ideas/beliefs.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:32 AM   #70
Uncle Robin
Addict
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Testing is always reasonable and valid if it confirms your preconceived ideas/beliefs.
I have rigorously tested the above hypothesis and find it irrefutable.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Honestly, I had a hard time reading the Lexend webpage. Font spacing seems too big.

I really like Bookerly on e-ink. I didn't like any of the default fonts on the Kobo nor other custom fonts I tried so I ended up extracting Bookerly from the Kindle's firmware update file and copied it to the Kobo.
I like ChareInk as my favorite font. I would really like to to try Monotye Baskerville eText, but the price is too high.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote