Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Google Play store - Nova/Note Pro

Does Google Play store work well on Nova Pro and Note Pro devices or are there any restrictions because of quite old Android version?
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
I have both the Note Pro and the Nova Pro. I have been able to install apps from the Google Play Store which are essential to me such as Moon+ Reader without issue.

There have been other apps which I was able to install, but which just didn't work well on the device. Those were mainly drawing apps I didn't really experiment much with trying to optimize them as they were not that important to me.

So I think it would really depend on what apps you were trying to install. You could always look at the system requirements for a given app to see if you could install it on the device.

Just remember that, even if you can install it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will function well on an e-ink device. And I think that would remain true even if you were running the most recent version of Android.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Thank you for your reply!

My worry was that i have heard that some older Android version don't have access to Google Play store. But seems like all is OK with Android 6.

I would need to run an app called Bookshelf or VitalSource Bookshelf. This is VitalSource app to read VBK formatted books. My current Kobo Glo is not android device, so no apps, and due to very basic web browser the web version doesn't work either. I probably go for Nova Pro and buy it next week then (in a hope that black friday week brings some discounts).

Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Out of curiosity, I tried to install Bookshelf by VitalSource from the Google Play Store on my Nova Pro.

For some reason, the first attempt failed. However, when I tried again, it installed successfully.

As for how well it works, I can't say. Apparently, you need an account to use the app and I don't have one and was not interested in creating one. But, at least, it can be installed.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:30 AM   #5
Risto40
Enthusiast

Thank you!
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 05:07 AM   #6
Risto40
Enthusiast

here's one article about this that ereaders with Android version lower than 8.0 might have issues. Old ones (devices with Google account bounded before March 16, 2018) should work but new ones (just purchased products) might face issues.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ss-google-play

When did you set-up/inserted your google account details into Nova Pro?

As expected, price slightly declined today in a store. I almost made the purchase but fortunately decided to do some additional research on this potential issue. And now i am worried again.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
Risto40
Enthusiast

asked the question from Boox support as well and got positive confirmation:

Hi,
Yes, you can access Google Play store with Nova Pro, but you need to enable it at first. And Nova Pro will be upgraded to Android 9 in the future, so you can keep using the Google Play store without problems.
BOOX Support
Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto40 View Post
When did you set-up/inserted your google account details into Nova Pro?
I believe it was March 20th of this year because I posted a comment in a Nova Pro thread here about how I was currently installing my preferred apps on that day. And I would have been setting everything up to see that it was functioning properly on the very day that I received it.

Oh, and be careful of anything you read on the Good e-Reader website as they are not particularly known for either their accuracy or their honesty.

Last edited by Question Mark; 11-25-2019 at 09:41 AM.