Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #46
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Andrew Vachss has a series where street smart ex-con Burke goes after child molesters in NYC. Some unusual sidekicks there. A little goes a long way.
Quote:
I'm not sure if this qualifies as "same sort of reading" but, in his own calm quiet way, Israeli intelligence operative Gabriel Allon is about the last person a terrorist wants on his trail. Very well written by Daniel Silva.

Hmmmm.... two new ones for me. I'll check them out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #47
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
I highly recommend Dan Simmons' Joe Kurtz books:

Hardcase
Hard Freeze
Hard As Nails

I find Simmons to be one of the most versatile writers around - the Hyperion series is classic sci-fi but be is also quite great with horror and thriller/noir/tough guy books.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've always avoided Lee Child on the principle that I don't approve of British authors trying to pretend to be Americans. But perhaps I should reconsider, based on the recommendations.
There was one Reacher novel that was free in Sony Store at the time. Perhaps you could try to find that if you have Sony device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #49
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Since all the responders seem to have the same reading interests, would you list your favorite 'series' for this same sort of reading? (Series, not singles.) So far we've noted;
Sandford's "Prey" series, "Kidd" series, and "Virgil Flowers" series
Jack DuBrul
Barry Eisler's books
Jeffery Deaver
Robert Parker's "Spenser" series and "Jesse Stone" series
The "Harry Bosch" series
Ian Rankin's "Rebus" series

Please add your favorites...
Sean Drummond series by Brian Haig
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/brian-haig/
http://www.brianhaig.net/

Sean Drummond is lawyer, working for JAG. He is former infantryman, but he got injured so he got chance to stay in Army as a lawyer for a special court that deals with the "special" (read top secret) operations. Very few things he investigates are strictly black or white.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
JerseyBiker, now that you've gotten some answers, would you be upset if I hijacked the thread just a wee bit?

Since all the responders seem to have the same reading interests, would you list your favorite 'series' for this same sort of reading? (Series, not singles.) So far we've noted;
Sandford's "Prey" series, "Kidd" series, and "Virgil Flowers" series
Jack DuBrul
Barry Eisler's books
Jeffery Deaver
Robert Parker's "Spenser" series and "Jesse Stone" series
The "Harry Bosch" series
Ian Rankin's "Rebus" series

Please add your favorites...

Stitchawl
Quote:
Robert Crais has his Elvis Cole PI series. Elvis is a great character and he has a sidekick named Joe Pike who is very much like Reacher. In recent years he's done a few that feature Joe Pike in the lead role. Very good writer.
Yes and double yes to Elvis Cole (and Pike - you can't forget Pike) .

Spenser (and Hawk) - and any Parker novels - are top of my list
Myron Bolitar (and Wynn) are near the top (Harlan Cobin series)
Psychologist Alex Delaware (and Milo) are good too (Jonathan Kellerman)
Burglar Bernie Rodenbarr is a hoot (Lawrence Block)

I would also agree that Deaver, Sandford and Connelly are worthy additions to the list. Not so keen on Rankin (Rebus).

I might also add a couple of female writers:

The Kay Scarpetta series - NOT any of the others (Patricia Cornwell)
The Kinsey Millhone PI series (Sue Grafton)
...though both series are starting to run out of steam now.

@Stitchawl

A bit more info on Jack DuBrul and Barry Eisler if you would? I don't know either of them.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #51
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post

@Stitchawl

A bit more info on Jack DuBrul and Barry Eisler if you would? I don't know either of them.
I don't know them either. Someone else mentioned them. I'm wondering if a book I read about an assassin living in Tokyo was one of Eisler's books?

Stitchawl
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #52
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I don't know them either. Someone else mentioned them. I'm wondering if a book I read about an assassin living in Tokyo was one of Eisler's books?

Stitchawl
Don't know about that, but doing a bit of digging, it seems Lee Child is a fan, so may well be worth a try:
Quote:
'Eisler is exactly my kind of writer and his deadly main character John Rain is exactly my kind of guy - highly recommended' Lee Child
PS - seems like Jack Du Brul has written a number of books jointly with Clive Cussler.

Last edited by orlok; 06-10-2011 at 06:31 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
PS - seems like Jack Du Brul has written a number of books jointly with Clive Cussler.
I tried a couple of Clive Cussler's 'Dirk Pitt' books but found them
a bit too "Doc Savage" for me.

Stitchawl
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, we do have Jeffrey Deaver who is an American and he wrote the next James Bond book which I think will be the next movie. The Flemming estate I think contracted him to do this.

And yes, Lee Child does a very good job with the Jack Reacher books.
Jeffrey Deaver is an author I have a great deal of respect for; I think I've read all his books, and considered them all to be excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #55
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I forgot to mention Brad Thor's 'Scott Horvath' series. He reminds me more directly of Jack Reacher, if he was dropped into stories that are Tom Clancy-like.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #56
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
My husband loves Lee Childs, Daniel Silva, and Brad Thor. After reading this thread I'm really keen to get the Prey series by John Sandford for him but can't find any ebooks preferably epubs. Obviously not looking in the right place - any suggestions?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #57
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sanford's books are available on both the Sony and Kobo sites
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #58
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
BTW, here is a picture of Lee Child. And that guy standing on his right is his character Jack Reacher. Okay, okay, it's me. Shoot I didn't think you'd fall for that.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=667
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #59
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question One to check...

Just got this among the Independent's Best 50 Summer reads........

Last Chance to Die - Noah Boyd
"Second novel to feature Steve Vail, a kind of Jack Reacher 2.0 - Just as pacy - if occasionally preposterous - as it's predecessor" ( "The Bricklayer" ) Don't know any more I'm afraid.

I do like the Reacher stuff, but got to be in the right frame of mind....

ie simplistic and nihilistic.

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #60
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
BTW, here is a picture of Lee Child. And that guy standing on his right is his character Jack Reacher. Okay, okay, it's me. Shoot I didn't think you'd fall for that.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=667
Heya...I cannot access that link cassidym...

Assuming its 'cause I am new to MR - can't access stuff like MR albums and my posts with URLs and pics still require Moderator Approval.

MODS: I have no issue with this reasonable policy, but exactly how long is a new poster's probationary period around here?
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote