Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #31
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I’m shooting to read about 78 different things this year.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #32
restinginlove
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD & Kindle Paperwhite 3
Post Goal: 20 in 2020!

I read 15 this year, hoping for 20 in 2020 and just to get back into reading as a hobby more than netflix as a hobby

I'm noting audiobooks, otherwise it's probably an ebook but occasionally a library or purchased paperback.

January:
1. Uninvited - Lysa TerKeurst (audiobook).
3/5, meh, probably better not as an audiobook. Also realized self help-y christian living books are not necessarily my jam.
2. How Music Got Free: The End of an Industry, the Turn of the Century, and the Patient Zero of Piracy by Stephen Witt.
4/5, both educational and a walk down memory lane.
3. Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West (audiobook).
5/5, a great collection of essays. I loved Lindy's latest last year and knew I had to check this one out too, glad I did.
4. Sew You Want to be a Hero (Threadbare 2) by Andrew Seiple.
4/5 Second in a litRPG/fantasy series about a heroic teddy bear. I really liked the first, this follow up was pretty good too.
5. With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo.
4/5. Fantastic YA novel, and now I've definitely been bit by the YA bug.
6. Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler (audiobook).
4/5. Great historical/biographical novel. The audiobook was very well done too.
7. Lab Girl by Hope Jahren.
5/5. Poetic and heartfelt, I even learned a bit about geobiology in this memoir.

February:
8. This Is My Body: A Memoir of Religious and Romantic Obsession by Cameron Dezen Hammon.
5/5. I'm a sucker for memoirs, especially religious ones, but this was phenomenal in so many ways. A lot of her observations and experiences of sexism as woman in evangelical circles echoed mine. Great first book, I'll be following Cameron's writing from here on out.
9. Far from the Tree by Robin Benway (audiobook).
4/5. Sweet YA novel about adoption and family that made me emotional at times.

Last edited by restinginlove; 02-04-2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: adding books
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #33
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Acer Iconia A1-830, Samsung GalaxyTab 10
52 BOOKS

This year I want to:

1: Finish all the Miss Marple books remaining in my TBR pile. I started the series back in April but got distracted halfway through. 7 more ought to do it.

2: Read 3 non-fiction books.

3: Borrow more books from the library instead of buying and therefore increasing my TBR list. Not sure if freebies and Kindle Unlimited count as buying, though.

4: Read at least 3 books considered to be classic literature.

No, I'm not slowing down but I expect that I'll have less leisure time due to family obligations. Which is why I'm aiming for a book a week, anything over that will be icing on the cake.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #34
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto G4
Read as much as possible and track what I read

No real goal except to read as much as possible and track what I read.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #35
jselby
Connoisseur
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Setting a goal of 12 books.

In Progress
Completed

Did Not Finish

Last edited by jselby; 12-30-2019 at 10:40 PM.
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #36
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Goal: Read 100 books in 2020

1. January:
  2. February:
  3. March:
  4. April:
  5. May:
  6. June:
  7. July:
  8. August:
  9. September:
  10. October:
  11. November:
  12. December:
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #37
Paperbackstash
Addict
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles. See Signature for Info.
Notes for Goals
With book count, I don't have a set number. The past three years at Goodreads, I set the goal for 200 while softly pushing 300, which I've met. I leave at 200 to not make it more stressful. This year I mainly focus on Genre, series, and format goals.

Soft Goals for the Year
*note to self: updated number goal stats 2/21/2020*

Gothics
  • Read more of my Gothic paperbacks that have been sitting on the shelf for years. Goal: 1/5
  • Buy More Used Gothics from local Used Bookstore I haven't been to for years, but want to frequent more often. Sadly, it's in an inconvenient location. Progress: 0/1
  • Re-read at least five Barbara Michaels. Progress: 0/5

Mysteries
  • Get caught up on the Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman. I am on around book 11 of the re-read. Progress 0/10
  • Read some more Hercule Poirot / Agatha Christie in my goal to finish all of them - many to go. Will finally brave Curtain - sad times. Progress: 0/5
  • Get caught up on some cozy mysteries backlog. Goal: 10 Series Firsts Trials. Progress: 1/10
  • Read more Noir and Hardboiled crime detective fiction. Goal: 0/10
  • Continue the Perry Mason Audiobook Marathon on Scribd. Goal: 3/10

Romance
  • Clear out some Harlequin backlog that's been on the bookshelf for years. Goal: 3/15
  • Clear out some Historical romance backlog that's been on the bookshelf for years. Goal: 0/5

Horror
  • Read more Water-Themed horror backlog for eventual website feature. Goal: 0/5
  • Read more Sci-Fi Horror. Goal: 0/3
  • Read and catch up on Halloween related before October (Failed this last year big time) 0/5

Other Genre Goals
  • Read more anthologies consistently (always fail this!) Goal: 1/10
  • Read Nonfiction. Goal: 0/8
  • Read High Fantasy or Science Fiction (Non-horror): Goal: 0/3
  • Christian Theology. Goal: 0/4
  • Classics, country or year not important. Goal: 0/5
  • Graphic Novel Collection/Comic Starters. Goal: 0/10

ARC Backlog:
  • Get caught up on Backlog of horror novels that are ARC's from Silver Shamrock 1/8
  • Catch up on Netgalley Backlog 0/11

Mobile Read's Discussion Link Shortcut

Monthly Tracking

* Listing book titles with ratings and source under each monthly spoiler *

January:

Monthly Stats
Total Read: 25
E-books: 14
Kindle Unlimited: 9
Scribd Audiobook: 3
Audible Audiobooks: 5
Paperback/Hardcover: 3

Discussion Post Stat Breakdown for the month

Spoiler:

• House of Chaos by K.R. Alexander
    Source: Kindle Unlimited
  • The Case of the Lame Canary by Erle Stanley Gardner
    Source: Scribd Subscription Plan
  • High Tide by R.L. Stine
    Source: Owned Book
  • The Howling Ghost by Christopher Pike
    Source: Owned E-Book
  • Shadow Hunter by B.R. Kingsolver
  • The Case of the Curious Bride by Erle Stanley Gardner
  • Night Stalker by B.R. Kingsolver
  • True Grit by Charles Portis
  • Dark Dancer by B.R. Kingsolver
  • Warrior Fae Trapped by K.F. Breene
  • Warrior Fae Princess by K.F. Breene
  • The Levee by Michael McDowell
    Source: Audible Purchase
  • Charmed by Them by Serena Akeroyd
  • The House by Michael McDowell
  • Johnny Halloween by Norman Partridge
  • The War by Michael McDowell
  • Chasing Ghosts by Glenn Rolfe
  • A Ghost of a Chance by Debbie Cassidy
  • The Fortune by Michael McDowell
  • Bitter Pill by Jordan Castillo Price
  • In the Market by Day LeCaire
    Source:Owned Book
  • Into the Darkness by K.F. Breene
    Source:Owned E-Book (Freebie)
  • Rain by Michael McDowell
    Source:Audible Purchase
  • The Wolf at My Door by Sam Hall
    Source:Kindle Unlimited
  • Unchained Destinies by Sara Wood
    Source:Owned Book

February:
Spoiler:

�� Reckless Conduct by Susan Napier
�� Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
�� The Case of the Counterfeit Eye by Perry Mason
�� Chateau in the Palms by Anne Hampson
�� Lye in Wait by Cricket McRae
�� Knight's Fire by S.J. Himes
�� Academy of the Elites by Alexis Calder
�� The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani
�� �� Bottled by Stephanie Ellis
�� Bookmarked for Death by Lorna Barnett
�� Forbidden Freshman by Carol Lynne

March:

April:

May:

June:

July:

August:

September:

October:

November:

December:

Abandoned/DNF Books

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 02-22-2020 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Updating challenge
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote