Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sharing books

What's the quickest and easiest way of sending a list of books to some one?
Before anyone suggests Calibre, I've tried that (and tried it and tried it) and I'm too dumb to work it out.
Last hope before I start typing the titles out. (Copying and pasting icons don't work either. )
sceadugenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Where is the list of books now?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're on my computer, all filed under "my ebooks".
Most of them are listed in Calibre and there's a few on my reader, but all of them are on the PC.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

In Calibre, there's an Icon called "Convert Books", with an arrow beside it. Click on the arrow to bring up the submenu. The last option is called, "Create catalog of books in your Calibre library". Click on that one.

This will create a file with a listing of the books in it. It looks like the default is "CSV", which stands for "Comma Separated Values". You can use that. You can also strip down the list of columns to include in the file.

That looks like the way to go.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

I've tried that but where does the file go?
I've got this complex doggerel come up in Excel, of all places.
Now I've found a list of authors but it won't copy...
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceadugenga View Post
What's the quickest and easiest way of sending a list of books to some one?
If you are using a Windows based machine, open a command window in the directory containing your books. (To make that easier, you can install the Power Toys for Windows and use the "open command prompt here" from the right-click menu in Windows Explorer.) Then, when you have the command prompt open, type "dir *.* > dir.txt" (or whatever you want the file name to be) or "dir /b *.* > dir.txt". The "/b" means display the file names only, not size information. If you want to list the contents of subdirectories, "dir /s /b *.* > dir.txt".
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

Love your avatar.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

Apart from that I have no idea what you're talking about...
Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceadugenga View Post
I've tried that but where does the file go?
I've got this complex doggerel come up in Excel, of all places.
Now I've found a list of authors but it won't copy...
When you created the Catalog in CSV, part way along, it asked you where to put it.

If you create a EPUB catalog...
I puts it on the list of your books in Calibre.. Just export it with "Save to disk"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
HamsterRage
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
If you are using a Windows based machine, open a command window in the directory containing your books. (To make that easier, you can install the Power Toys for Windows and use the "open command prompt here" from the right-click menu in Windows Explorer.) Then, when you have the command prompt open, type "dir *.* > dir.txt" (or whatever you want the file name to be) or "dir /b *.* > dir.txt". The "/b" means display the file names only, not size information. If you want to list the contents of subdirectories, "dir /s /b *.* > dir.txt".
With Calibre, that will be a PItA, since each book will be in its own directory. Otherwise, that's a good idea. My brain must be getting addled by all these GUI O/S's. I totally forgot about that.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

The problem seems to be is that I want a list of books but it keeps coming up with the actual books, so I get this huge file that's virtually unworkable.
All I want to do is copy the list I have on the first page of Calibre, or copy the first page.
I mean, how hard can that be?

uh oh

The point is now moot, I seem to have lost all the books that I've added.

Fortunately the books are still on the computer file.

#*#&***@%
Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

I've moved the topic to ebook software>calibre
Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Once you get your library back in Calibre, you can also do a print screen of the Calibre page. Then open any text processor and hit ctl v This will paste a copy of your print screen onto that page.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

I'm at the point of just doing it with my digital camera.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Once you get your library back in Calibre, you can also do a print screen of the Calibre page. Then open any text processor and hit ctl v This will paste a copy of your print screen onto that page.

cheers
Beat me to it.

If the list of books is too long for one screen shot just take multiple screen shots, scrolling down your list in calibre between shots.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote