Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Decryption Failed!

So - am I the only one getting this? After doing a sync, when I try to open any book on the reader or on the desktop application, I get the message "Decryption Failed!"

The only solution I have found is to delete the desktop application and reinstall it, then "Update Library" and "Sync".

This is the third or fourth time I have had to do this. As I am acquiring more books, it is taking a long time. And, needless to say, all my bookmarks are fried and books that I have finished are appearing back in "I'm Reading".

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

(My computer is running Windows 7 and my Kobo has the latest update)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Try this thread for tips: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ryption+failed
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the pointer but no permanent solution there. I can't be the only one having this can I?

I emailed Kobo yesterday at 4 pm and received a reply at 5:41 am(!) today. I'll try this the next time it happens (and I expect it will :0 )

Here is what Erin said:

Thank you for contacting us.

To fix this have please plug the Kobo into the computer and open the Desktop. Then click on the e-mail address and sign out. Wait 30 seconds and then sign back in, update then sync to correct the error.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
fergi7
fergi7 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Smile Solution to decryption failures

Here is a solution that should work. I had the same problem. Plug in the Kobo to your computer and open the Kobo software on your computer. If you are already logged in to the Kobo software on your desktop then 'sign out' of it. After a few seconds sign in again while the Kobo reader is plugged in. Do an update and then do a sync. Finally do an 'eject' of the Kobo reader and all should be as it shoul be. Good luck. Let me know if and how this works.
fergi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic

This happened to me *again . I'm not sure of the sequence of plugging/unplugging, but I did log out and log back in to my Kobo account using the desktop application. It did work. It had to download all my books but didn't seem to lose bookmarks. Skipped the step of having to uninstall the desktop application though, so saved some time.
Advert