Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
physxman
physxman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Sony eBook Library software: should I install?

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, having just received a PRS-600 for Xmas (2009). I could not install the eBook library on my home PC (a dinosaur). but, I've found that I can download lots of books online (Project Gutenberg, etc.) and just copy them directly to the internal memory, just like I would for a flash drive.

So far, I have not installed the eBook library software, though I have read a few free books already. I have not tried to purchase any eBooks yet, though I am very interested in borrowing eBooks from my local libraries if possible.

Should I install the software? I am wary of any software that would be intrusive and "take control" of my reader, preventing me from doing what I am already.

BTW, I have found pirated copies of books out there (PDF format). Would Sony EBook library or Adobe Digital Editions software prevent me from reading anything like this, or prevent me from reading legal documents that don't have any official digital licensing codes within them?

Bottom line: what, if any, are the downsides of installing the eBook Library software?

Thanks,
Derrick
physxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
If you don't want the ebook library software that comes with the reader but want to borrow library books you have to download Abode Digital Edition. Library books have DRM, so you will need either the Sony software or ADE. ADE located here: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/#download
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert