Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
K.B.
K.B. began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Nokia 9300
Question DRM error

Calibre came highly recommended (thanks Dear Author!) and looks to be exactly what I've been looking for, if I could just get it to work

I have approximately 600 ebooks, most of them purchased directly from epublishers, in .prc. I do have some purchased through retailers that have DRM protection, but I'm not worried about those right now. I've tried adding books to the library one at a time, small batches (5-15) and once with the whole directory. Each time, about half of the books came through with some or all of their meta data, and can be viewed. The rest, however, give me the "This book is protected by DRM error". At this point, I'd be fine with adding in the data by hand, but I'm assuming that not being able to view the books means I will also not be able to convert them so that they can be read on my iPhone, which makes it all sort of pointless.

I am using Vista and have the latest version of Calibre. I've tried deleting the books, uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, a couple of times, but it made no difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

KB

(also, I might as well be greedy and ask if there is any way to pull the data in from the Mobipocket library, if it can't be read directly from the files, for whatever reason?)
K.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't support DRMed books, that would be illegal. You have to remove the DRM from them first.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also calibre should be reading all the metadata from MOBI books. If it's not, that's a bug. Open a ticket at the calibre website and attach the file, and I will fix the bug
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
K.B.

Right, but they're not DRM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, in that case open a ticket and attach one of these files that is causing the DRM error
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
K.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Also calibre should be reading all the metadata from MOBI books. If it's not, that's a bug. Open a ticket at the calibre website and attach the file, and I will fix the bug
Oh, that would be nice Umm, sorry, I know I'm clueless here, but what file should I attach?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.B. View Post
Right, but they're not DRM.
Right click on the ebook in library (ebook) view within Windows MobiPocket Reader and select Properties -> Summary. What does the encryption line say?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
what file should I attach?
A .prc or .mobi ebook file that is giving an error. Attach this to a ticket in Calibre's Trac
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
K.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Right click on the ebook in library (ebook) view within Windows MobiPocket Reader and select Properties -> Summary. What does the encryption line say?
Ok, it says "content encrypted". Some of them say "Non encrypted" which may explain why I'm losing Meta data on some files, but not others? I checked the ones that should have the DRM, and they say "PID encrypted".
Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Ok, it says "content encrypted". Some of them say "Non encrypted" which may explain why I'm losing Meta data on some files, but not others? I checked the ones that should have the DRM, and they say "PID encrypted".
Content encrypted files have encryption, but only using the generic MOBI key (not a PID-specific key). This means that can be read by any MobiPocket Reader software, on any device, but not by any non-MobiPocket software. There is a version of mobidedrm.py that strips content encryption, see Mobipocket Decoder Tool #176.

If you want Calibre to format shift your MOBI files they must be DRM-free. The python script mobidedrm does this, but note that it is thought to be illegal to strip DRM from ebooks in many countries.

Calibre should be able to catalog DRMed MOBIs, including the metadata (since this is not encrypted). So it may still be worth submitting a Calibre ticket for one of your content encrypted ebooks.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
K.B.

If I'm reading you guys right, the "content encrypted" files have DRM, just a different kind than the PID? It seems weird since most of the "content encrypted" files were purchased from the same place as the "non encrypted" files. But ok. So without stripping the DRM, I can't open the "PID encrypted" or "content encrypted" files to view, but I should be seeing all the data for the library, correct?

Thank you both for your help, I'll do the ticket with one of the files.