Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #31
pelenor
pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 300
Sorry I wasn't able to make it . sounds like everyone had a great time! Hopefully next time.
pelenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #32
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The surprise guest was the lovely Mrs. Alexander Turcic.
Heh. Some people might draw the wrong conclusions here...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 03:18 AM   #33
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
Talk about style... ...Right on time yet still somehow I managing to be fashionably late.

And you know what, the Kindle really does look better in person. It caught my eye as soon as I stepped through the door. Of course it helped that everyone was sitting at the table positioned right behind said door when I arrived, but that is beside the point.

I had a great time.

Jimmy John's was indeed disturbingly sterile. Good sandwiches but a little light on the atmosphere. Interesting how no two franchises ever are quite alike. It worked out well though- Make introductions, grab a quick bite, get acquainted and plan the evening ahead.

For one that meant a dash, for the others a mosey.

I was really surprised to discover a part of downtown I had yet to venture to while strolling over to Taylor's swanky abode. Indeed he has appliances and let me tell you folks that the view from the buildings lounge is truly distracting. I think that more then makes up for the lack of spatulas in his kitchen.

Pente rocked. I want to play it again- I had forgotten how much I enjoyed games like that. Even when getting my [Insert expletive] kicked.

After that the evening came to a close with each heading their own separate ways. For me that meant a rare casual stroll about the Loop and a window shopping excursion to Borders Books before heading home.

All and all I have to say that the first Chicago MobileRead MeetUp was a success.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I would love to ZP but Plane tickets are kind of Pricey and it would be on my own dime.

JJ
well keep us in mind for someday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Heh. Some people might draw the wrong conclusions here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbcreative View Post
All and all I have to say that the first Chicago MobileRead MeetUp was a success.
*snif* i'm so proud. and happy. (and, as always, disappointed to have missed it). so will we be announcing Chicago Meetup II : Son of Meetup in the near future then ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #35
rocket733
rocket733 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
there had better be one in the future, preferably next summer after i move to chicago.
rocket733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket733 View Post
there had better be one in the future, preferably next summer after i move to chicago.
everybody hear that ? free up your schedules y'all : Chicago meetup planned for next summer. our good friend rocket will be organising things.

of course, that doesn't mean you can't have other meetups between now and then.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
everybody hear that ? free up your schedules y'all : Chicago meetup planned for next summer. our good friend rocket will be organising things.

of course, that doesn't mean you can't have other meetups between now and then.
Oh... will it be at Cheesecake Factory? I would arrange to be in Chi then. (Actually probably can't be.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #38
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh... will it be at Cheesecake Factory? BOb
Heh, that's right by the Hancock Center, right? Next to it is a takeaway restaurant, mostly Italian food. Really good, I went there a couple of time for lunch.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

something tells me that the next chicago meetup with have TWO surprise guests, and Mrs. Alexander Turcic will be accompanied.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #40
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Jimmy John's was indeed disturbingly sterile. Good sandwiches but a little light on the atmosphere.
Huh! I thought it was much like any other Jimmy John's. Good sandwiches, but not an atmosphere to make you want to linger and take up table space. Fortunately, it was (just) big enough to sit 4 of us together.

I agree that Taylor's apartment complex is gorgeous! His apartment was sparsely furnished, but not by any means bare or barren. Just styled for a single guy.

Quote:
Pente rocked. I want to play it again- I had forgotten how much I enjoyed games like that. Even when getting my [Insert expletive] kicked.
Then we'll definitely have to plan another meet-up. I enjoyed just sitting with the guys, and being allowed to catch up on my reading. It was a book with a hard first half (lead character was formed by a very harsh childhood), so it was hard for me to read much at a time; it depressed me. I'd finally reached the good half of the book -- and in fact stayed up till 2:00 to finish it.

Chicago Meet-Up I -- definitely a success!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Heh, that's right by the Hancock Center, right? Next to it is a takeaway restaurant, mostly Italian food. Really good, I went there a couple of time for lunch.
Yes, it's in the Hancock center if I remember correctly. Been quite a while since I was there though.

BOb
Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #42
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Pictures, we want to see pictures!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #43
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I do not consent to having my photo posted here. Sending Rebecca was a dirty trick.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I do not consent to having my photo posted here. Sending Rebecca was a dirty trick.
Mohahahaha... I don't think your consent is needed. We all want to see your huge cranium though.

BOb
Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #45
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
Atmosphere... ...Less then. Its true, all Jimmy John's like most fast food(ish) franchises are designed for the sell and scoot. It just seemed that the one on Madison Street was noticeably more so. Not a quibble, just an observation. After all it is what it is and being so it worked well for us.

As for planning for summer, the mental cogs are in motion. On the way to transit from Taylor's apartment complex with Deb I once again brought up the topic of my favorite Chicago street fair, a.k.a:

The Chicago Tribune Printers Row Book Fair (June 6-7, 2009 from 10am to 6pm)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/about/...s/printersrow/

If you've never been, you got to go. If you have been then you're already planning to be there. So my thought is, why not make it the focus of another MobleRead event. A mingle of old and new media.

Meanwhile, we got the winter to brave and warm toasty indoor MeetUps to plan.

Speaking of locations- The Cheese Cake Factory? Oh my, would you believe I've never indulged. Though I have been to L'Appetito ( http://www.lappetito.com/ ) which is on the opposite side of the concourse many times for lunch and snack. Tasty.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, meet-up