Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
I'm currently binging on Outlander

So I've been wanting to read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon F O R E V E R!!! Now I've finally gotten around to starting it and I'm so glad I did. I have a bit of a commitment phobia to long series, and this being 8 (?) books I was hesitant.

I'm so glad I started this and I'm hooked! Hubby and I (he does not like to read -- I'm still working on that) have also been binge watching the series as well, but being careful I don't surpass my spot in the books with the shows. I'm impressed with the show and it's the first time I've read/watched at the same time with any series or movie.

This may be a new addiction for me. I may have to start reading the Walking Dead books and get caught up on those so I can also binge read/watch that series too (that will be lots of reading though to get caught up to the new season starting soon -- yay a cannot wait).
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
So I've been wanting to read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon F O R E V E R!!! Now I've finally gotten around to starting it and I'm so glad I did. I have a bit of a commitment phobia to long series, and this being 8 (?) books I was hesitant.

I'm so glad I started this and I'm hooked! Hubby and I (he does not like to read -- I'm still working on that) have also been binge watching the series as well, but being careful I don't surpass my spot in the books with the shows. I'm impressed with the show and it's the first time I've read/watched at the same time with any series or movie.

This may be a new addiction for me. I may have to start reading the Walking Dead books and get caught up on those so I can also binge read/watch that series too (that will be lots of reading though to get caught up to the new season starting soon -- yay a cannot wait).
If you want to broaden that out a bit, try the Audible versions. They are excellent. And all but one of them are WhisperSync for Voice enabled, for those on a Kindle, though I see that you aren't.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to know
Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just goes to show that it takes all sorts . Delighted to hear that you're enjoying them. Suffice it to say that they aren't my cup of tea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I bought an omnibus version of the first seven (I think?) ebooks for some ridiculously cheap price quite a while ago. I'll get around to trying them someday.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just goes to show that it takes all sorts . Delighted to hear that you're enjoying them. Suffice it to say that they aren't my cup of tea.
And it would be boring if everyone liked the same thing. Thank god for diversity. But honestly I'm crazy enjoying these books. It's been a while since I've read anything that I couldn't figure out the plot or how it ends. This one I have tons of ideas but have no idea where it will go and it moves so quickly and always surprises me.

I have a feeling I'm going to have a major book hangover when this series is done and will be in a corner weeping for a long time.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me it had virtually no plot - just an endless succession of capture/rescue/sex scenes. I also intensely disliked all the bondage/rape scenes. I didn't just not like it; it's one of the few books I can honestly say that I've actively disliked.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
I haven't read the series yet but I started watching the series on Amazon Prime and was hoping it was more of a Highlander style approach. Found it very slow, some episodes were good and others not so good but stopped after the first season. Might have to pickup the books, not sure how closely the books vs the TV series link together.
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFalcon73 View Post
I haven't read the series yet but I started watching the series on Amazon Prime and was hoping it was more of a Highlander style approach. Found it very slow, some episodes were good and others not so good but stopped after the first season. Might have to pickup the books, not sure how closely the books vs the TV series link together.
Many parts of the first book are word for word in the TV series. I was surprised. And I thought they did a good job. The end is a bit different but the same result as to where it leaves off.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
For me it had virtually no plot - just an endless succession of capture/rescue/sex scenes. I also intensely disliked all the bondage/rape scenes. I didn't just not like it; it's one of the few books I can honestly say that I've actively disliked.
Well I can appreciate the bondage/rape stuff (although it's not quite as bad as some of the Anne Rice writings -- i.e. Beauty series) because it's the time period when those things were sort of acceptable, just not as graphic as the ones I read in Beauty. It's just the way things worked back then. Besides, I've read 50 Shades (well almost, I couldn't bring myself to finish the first book) and I have no aversion to smut when it's written well, but that was just crapoloa! If i ever read the word "quiver" again I may just throw up.

As for the plot, well it *is* a constant round of capture/rescue/sex. Well more like sex/capture/sex/rescue/sex/sex/sex (but hey, hubby certainly doesn't mind when I read him those parts) so that's fun, but I know this is going somewhere, it has to. I just don't know where it's going yet or where these people will end up and right now that is what I wanted to read (lately everything i have been reading fiction wise I've been able to basically figure it all out after the first few chapters and I'm frankly getting annoyed with my (apparently exceptional) mind reading abilities.

I love these characters. I think the authors' character development is fantastic. And that may be the reason the other poster mentioned that some of the episodes were a bit slow (i.e. the one where Jamie and Claire have just gotten married and they spend several days in the bridal room getting to know each other before finally consummating their marriage). While the reading dragged on and the episode never seemed to end, I think it was pivotal to the development of Jamie's character and a good insight as to his background, where he came from and what he's gone through in life and why it's made him the way he is today.

God, I could discuss this book forever. And here I am discussing it with someone who doesn't like it! Well if you got this far into reading my reply, kudos to you!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I just don't like sex scenes in books. Not because I'm prudish, but simply because I find them extraordinarily tedious. That's the main reason I dislike these books. Oh well, the important thing is that you find them enjoyable, and there's no shortage of other books for me to read.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I bought an omnibus version of the first seven (I think?) ebooks for some ridiculously cheap price quite a while ago. I'll get around to trying them someday.
I did that, too. It was some ridiculously low price that I became aware of when someone made a post here a few years ago.

I still haven't read any of them....
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
I just don't like sex scenes in books. Not because I'm prudish, but simply because I find them extraordinarily tedious. That's the main reason I dislike these books. Oh well, the important thing is that you find them enjoyable, and there's no shortage of other books for me to read.
You should read some of the sex scenes in Tara Sivec's novels. Now those are NOT tedious! Just sayin'
Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I did that, too. It was some ridiculously low price that I became aware of when someone made a post here a few years ago.
We must've reacted to the same bargain, then.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We must've reacted to the same bargain, then.

This is the reason I upgraded to the Aura One cause it has the built in overdrive and I hopefully don't have to spend any more money on books!