Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
stepheno
stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.

Device: iPad, iPad mini, Samsung tablet, Galaxy S5 phone
Upcoming Sigil Video Tutorials

Hi,
This post is a heads-up that I'm about 70% of the way through a series of comprehensive video tutorials that describe using Sigil to create an eBook, suitable for beginners-intermediate.

I've created a default ePub template that is the basis of the tutorials, and it provides a great foundation for a new eBook. The videos will be free on YouTube and I will be selling the template file and donating to Sigil's development.

Sigil has allowed me to create my own eBooks, and my method makes for trouble free uploads, through the meat-grinders of the various online distributors. I'm grateful for the software and those developing it.

I'll post again when I have the videos finished, uploaded and available.

Cheers,
Stephen
stepheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@stepheno - sounds great, K on its way

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
stepheno
stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.

Thanks BetterRed,

The template is ready and I have one more video tutorial to make on applying CSS in Sigil; should be done within several days. The tutorial videos are:
  1. Overview of Sigil
  2. Overview of eBook Template
  3. Chapters
  4. Footnotes
  5. Images
  6. Table of Contents
  7. Metaldata
  8. CSS (coming)

As well as working in 'Book View' most of the tutorials explore the HTML code and use of CSS classes, with some commentary on the content.opf and toc.ncx files.

Can anyone let me know if it's okay to use Sigil's logo and name, with the eTemplate Product image? Do I require permission?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Stepheno

I really think basic CSS creation needs to be covered before the first line of code.

Another thing, even before Launching Sigil: Planning
Remember the 6 P's

Time after time, I see folk trying to back into what they wanted. It is so much easier to set (and use) a Basic 'house' CSS, then all the rest of the CSS/code worry is reserved for those special cases.

Plan
Collect (import: images,fonts, the house CSS, house standard boilerplate, 'the Text')
Start applying the markup
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:33 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Also, try to avoid BookView and use the Preview. BookView can (and will) cause issues by giving things you don't really want.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Also, try to avoid BookView and use the Preview. BookView can (and will) cause issues by giving things you don't really want.
Yes!

(My post refused! Too short!)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
Videos and template sound great. I think I am progressing to intermediate level so am looking forward to some time-saving tips
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
stepheno

Hi All, thank you for your comments and interest!

The idea of basing the tutorials around a pre-made template, which includes a CSS file, is to provide a good foundation from which viewers can start their own eBook and adapt it to suit their requirements.

I started recording the last tutorial, about the CSS file and realised CSS is a big subject so I'm reviewing that information so it relates better to beginners-intermediate. I've been busy at work so it will be several more days before I get that finished.

Thanks for the comment about 'Book View,' I experienced that when recording the "Images' tutorial; I was overwriting an image and then didn't see the update in Book View. That was included in the video as I could imagine someone wondering if they had 'done it right.'

Cheers, Stephen

Tags
tutorial, video