Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #46
mzquarter
mzquarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
@tshering

Finally found some time to play with this again. I bumped into another thread pointing here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211135

Since I pushed a book on my Kobo using Calibre -with the kobo touch extended driver mentioned in the link above-, the highlighting feature and dictionary has been working. Furthermore, I don't have to switch the system language to japanese to have a japanese font automatically selected. I created 1-2 books from Aozora using AozoraEpub3, and everything works great with both horizontal and vertical orientation. The only downside is that single kanji (or kana) are auto-selected. I have to extend the underline every time, but it is still better than before.

Now I don't have to add new books with Calibre, just a regular drag n' drop works, so I assume the driver set some configuration bit somewhere. I'll try to confirm with another device that has not interacted with the extended driver and update this post.

Cheers!

[Update] Now this feels weird, I finally tried on another device without the patch and things work fine. It still selects only one kanji, but that's a secondary issue compared to what I had. I don't know what I did wrong before or what I do differently, but there it is. Happy reading!

Last edited by mzquarter; 03-08-2015 at 08:26 PM.
mzquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #47
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzquarter View Post
Now I don't have to add new books with Calibre, just a regular drag n' drop works, so I assume the driver set some configuration bit somewhere. I'll try to confirm with another device that has not interacted with the extended driver and update this post.
Since it seems you did not have a chance to try it with another device, I try already now to give you some response. I think what you are seeing is that the font settings of a book that you open for the first time are the same as those you selected the last time you changed them in any book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzquarter View Post
Furthermore, I don't have to switch the system language to japanese to have a japanese font automatically selected.
I am not sure whether this refers to something I might have said. If this is the case, what I meant was presumably that you have to change the system language to Japanese in order to be able to switch to Japanese keyboard (Sometimes it worked for me also without changing the system language, but only sometimes and unpredictably). This is only relevant for the dictionary usage if you are using japdic01.zip and/or japdic02.zip
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #48
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I would like to report that since FW 3.16.10 (or maybe 3.16.0?) the Japanese definition dictionary is searchable.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #49
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
The Japanese-English dictionaries work a treat, thank you.

Interestingly, with the Japanese epub which I tried, I was unable to select or highlight any of the kanji or kana. However, when I used Calibre to convert it to a kepub, it worked fine. I wonder if this is due to the vertical orientation of the text, even though the kepub also maintains the vertical orientation.

My sideloaded Chinese epubs work fine with the Chinese-English dictionary. However, the text in them has a horizontal orientation.

It's not a problem since I can easily convert epubs to kepubs using Calibre. Just a curiosity.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #50
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Japanese support is only available for KEPUB, at least that's my experience. Even then there are selection problems for example if you have ruby (furigana) it can get in the way if it's per character instead of whole word. For the Harry Potter books I ended up post-processing them (merging adjacent ruby tags) to work around this problem.

Then you still have to select word boundaries manually and like as not it will delect instead of moving those annoying pin thingies and you can't really see what you're selecting because your finger is on it. That gets annoying very quick and you're back to reading in the webbrowser with rikaichan as a simple mouseover dictionary
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2017, 02:12 AM   #51
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Japanese support is only available for KEPUB, at least that's my experience.
Good to know. Thankfully, Calibre renders that easy enough now that I have figured out how to convert epubs to kepubs. With the added bonus that I can now click on chapters in the TOC to jump that section in the book.

Quote:
Even then there are selection problems for example if you have ruby (furigana) it can get in the way if it's per character instead of whole word. For the Harry Potter books I ended up post-processing them (merging adjacent ruby tags) to work around this problem.
Yes, I have noticed that the furigana can become a bit of a nuisance at times when trying to click on a kanji. However, enlarging the font and moving my finger about until I find the sweet spot works for me.

Quote:
Then you still have to select word boundaries manually and like as not it will delect instead of moving those annoying pin thingies and you can't really see what you're selecting because your finger is on it. That gets annoying very quick and you're back to reading in the webbrowser with rikaichan as a simple mouseover dictionary
Actually, I don't find selecting the word boundaries to be so much of a problem. And my fingers aren't dainty. Perhaps it's just a question of finding the right font size. The luxury of being able to read Japanese on an ereader more than makes up for th odd time or two when the furigana get in the way.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #52
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Good to know. Thankfully, Calibre renders that easy enough now that I have figured out how to convert epubs to kepubs. With the added bonus that I can now click on chapters in the TOC to jump that section in the book.

Yes, I have noticed that the furigana can become a bit of a nuisance at times when trying to click on a kanji. However, enlarging the font and moving my finger about until I find the sweet spot works for me.

Actually, I don't find selecting the word boundaries to be so much of a problem. And my fingers aren't dainty. Perhaps it's just a question of finding the right font size. The luxury of being able to read Japanese on an ereader more than makes up for th odd time or two when the furigana get in the way.

Where are you getting your files? I'm wondering if kepubs from the Kobo Japan store are better at word selection than books from other places. I've found my converted AZW3 and some books I've bought off Google Play Japan will only ever highlight a single character. I haven't yet been able to figure out a way to buy off Kobo Japan outside Japan so I can't try any legit kepubs.

Is it possible for Kobos to get the kanji compound at all? My Kindle won't do it all the time, and it doesn't really seem to work for converted books, but for AZW3 from the Amazon store 9/10 it will select the right kanji compound word for lookup.

It's easier to move the text selection things on my Kobo, but I don't have to really do it all on the Kindle. I'm liking my Aura One for manga use, but I feel their Japanese book support is a step behind Amazon's. Which is kinda ironic.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #53
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Where are you getting your files? I'm wondering if kepubs from the Kobo Japan store are better at word selection than books from other places. I've found my converted AZW3 and some books I've bought off Google Play Japan will only ever highlight a single character. I haven't yet been able to figure out a way to buy off Kobo Japan outside Japan so I can't try any legit kepubs.

Is it possible for Kobos to get the kanji compound at all? My Kindle won't do it all the time, and it doesn't really seem to work for converted books, but for AZW3 from the Amazon store 9/10 it will select the right kanji compound word for lookup.

It's easier to move the text selection things on my Kobo, but I don't have to really do it all on the Kindle. I'm liking my Aura One for manga use, but I feel their Japanese book support is a step behind Amazon's. Which is kinda ironic.
The only Japanese book I have at the moment is the Harry Potter series which I bought off of Kobo's Canadian website. I stripped the DRM off it using Calibre and then reconverted the DRM-free epub back to a kepub and sideloaded it onto my KA1.

Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a lot of books in Japanese on the Canadian Kobo website. So once I finish the series in Japanese, which will likely take a good while yet, I will look into somehow getting a Kobo Japan account. Since I go back for a visit about once every two years or so, I'm hoping that I'll be able to set something up. Actually, what I'm really hoping is that the library will start carrying Japanese epubs the way they do Chinese epubs and books in other languages.

As for selecting Japanese text, the Kobo software will usually only select one character/kana. I then have to move the toggles to select the compound or phrase I'm interested in. Because I tend to use a fairly big font size, this usually isn't much of a problem. However, there are occasional hiccups. Gradually, you learn where to position your finger to select the initial character/kana you are interested in capturing. It seems to change a bit with where the character/kana is on the page. It's a bit quirky, but it works well enough for me. I just prefer reading on an eink screen to reading on a tablet. Much easier on the eyes when reading for extended periods.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #54
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Ah. Thanks. Yea I noticed the same lack of Japanese books on the Kobo Canada store too. Amazon Japan will pretty happily sell me eBooks outside Japan though with my Canadian credit card. I think I just had to add a fake japanese address once to my Amazon Japan account and pretend to be in Japan once with a VPN but other than that no trouble. Everyone else seems to want a Japanese credit card and IP address from Japan.

I prefer eInk too. I mean the paperwhite I was previously reading them on is as well so I was hoping Kobo would at least match it on their own stuff.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 AM   #55
jupiterstar
jupiterstar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Preventing Sync from Overwriting Dictionary

I just got a Kobo Aura One LE last week and thanks for the pre-made EDICT dictionary file. I don't think I read it anywhere else yet, but the way I discovered to prevent the Kobo from overwriting the dictionary is to create the dictionary file the *exact* same size as the original one. I believe that all the software does on sync is check to see if the dictionary file sizes are the same. If they are, it leaves the files alone. I've attached my version of the EDICT dictionary. Unzip the "outer" zip file, which will inflate the file to exactly 96,327,425 bytes. Rename the "rename_me" part to zip and copy it over to the Kobo.

Technical details: I uncompressed the dicthtml-ja.zip from the first post, added a ~77 meg padding file consisting of only zeroes, and then re-created the dicthtml-ja.zip file *without* compression. It took a few tries to get the bytes exactly right since the zip format adds some extra bytes per file, but eventually I got it right.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-jaxxdjs.rename_me.zip (13.33 MB, 321 views)
jupiterstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #56
Contravariant
Contravariant began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For people having trouble selecting ruby elements, I've found that adding the CSS rule

Code:
rt, rtc, rp { user-select: none; }
helps by preventing the e-reader from selecting the furigana.

Sometimes it still struggles with the word boundaries for some reason, but with this it is at least possible to get it to recognise ruby element having multiple <rt> tags.

Last edited by Contravariant; 10-13-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Contravariant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, japanese, kobo