Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #451
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the more i look at it, the more i hate it...... but i am trying my hardest not to get another replacement
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #452
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
my replacement came today and i'm just going to keep it. it's far from perfect (as every paperwhite seems to be) but i think i can live with it. it's a little more colorful than my first one but at least it doesn't have any white pixels. the top half of the screen seems darker to me than the bottom half as well but i'm not going to gamble again and possibly get a worse unit. it does have a black dot at the top of the screen that won't wipe away but i can try to get used to it.

the best part was it was not a refurb
Thanks for everyones replies. I'm sounding like I'm super fussy but I'm really not!! If that screen wasn't misaligned I'd be super happy with it.

Heather just wondered how you knew it wasn't a refurb? Like someone said before mine had the same cleaning product wipe marks, lots of little pieces of white material on the bezel (which wiped off but arent on the new ones).
drewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #453
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
If the box has an R on the side, it's refurbished. I also think if you get one that is from a 5** batch that it's safe to say it's a refurb. All the new ones (at least the ones shipped from Amazon US) are now from batches with 6**. Plus, the streaks on the screen from it being wiped point to it being used.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #454
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
If the box has an R on the side
Makes sense - my box looked like it had been through the washing machine a few times as well (wasn't flat and faded around the edges). Bit of russian roulette though whether they send out a refurb or not.

Interestingly, Amazon.com now shows 5 to 7 days till shipping - so all new ones would be batch 604 prob.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #455
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Thanks for everyones replies. I'm sounding like I'm super fussy but I'm really not!! If that screen wasn't misaligned I'd be super happy with it.

Heather just wondered how you knew it wasn't a refurb? Like someone said before mine had the same cleaning product wipe marks, lots of little pieces of white material on the bezel (which wiped off but arent on the new ones).
yep, what sparklemotion said! there was no R on the box. and it was again from the 604 batch but i know the batch number doesn't really mean anything now.
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #456
drewh
Connoisseur

Quote:
the more i look at it, the more i hate it...... but i am trying my hardest not to get another replacement
What batch is yours Heather? prob 604?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #457
drewh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
What batch is yours Heather? prob 604?
Question answered
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #458
heatherlynn
Connoisseur

yes 604! besides the colors, the screen is good. it's not misaligned and there are no white pixels. just that small black mark that i talked about before. i am going to try to keep it for a few days but if it really bugs me that much, it's going back too
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #459
drewh
Connoisseur

Quote:
yes 604! besides the colors, the screen is good. it's not misaligned and there are no white pixels. just that small black mark that i talked about before. i am going to try to keep it for a few days but if it really bugs me that much, it's going back too
So annoying its almost right but not as well. See how you go and you might get used to it (my other PPW has a patch of white/pink bottom right but think I'm just going to live with that).

Did you do the replacement through the online chat? Wondering if there is anything I can say/do to try and not receive a refurb and instead a new one?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #460
heatherlynn
Connoisseur

i did do the replacement through the online chat. i said to the rep that i was weary about their return process because i really didn't want a refurbished unit. she did not reply to me about it or acknowledge the comment at all so i can't even say it did anything. more than likely i just got lucky some how because i've only heard of people getting refurbs

but it has been said before that the only sure way to not get a refurb is to just return your unit completely for a refund and buy a new one

Last edited by heatherlynn; 02-22-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #461
drewh
Connoisseur

Just did the online chat to replace the yellow screen one. I said a few times its really important I didn't receive a refurbished device as this one was, but I wanted a new one. Asked if he could please see that it was. Got a 'it all depends on the fulfillment center but I'll put a note on your order asking for a new device' - yeh right sure that happens - so I again asked. He then came back and said 'I can confirm the replacement device will be a brand new one', and estimated date about 2 weeks ahead. That lends credence to it being a new device as theres a 5-7 day wait on the Amazon site.

So everyone cross fingers this is a good one! If the screen is aligned and no crazy patches etc, I'll be happy. I would have kept the old one if the screen gap wasnt there.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #462
heatherlynn
Connoisseur

i wonder why there is a wait on the devices because amazon says that they have them in stock. but i really hope you get one that you can settle on. the return process is no fun at all haha
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #463
drewh
Connoisseur

hmm true... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZO03M?country=AU on this page re Aus ones it says 7 to 10 days?! The order says estimated shipping time 25th Feb though, so go figure :P as long as its brand spanking new and no crooked screen (ha) I'll be happy.

If you decide you can't live with yours, just push them that you want a new one. They'll prob say 'depends on fulfillment center' blah blah, ask if they can check if it'll be new / put a note on order. Sure they'll end up doing the same (maybe they did nothing and mine just by luck was a new one, like yours). Returns is a real pita though isnt it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #464
heatherlynn
Connoisseur

i am curious to see what someone else sees in my pw, or if i am crazy like my brother told me i was i can definitely see the color pink at the top and it's a green muddy color towards the middle. my iphone is definitely making it look a little better than what i see in real life.

sorry for the big pics but the light is on 17 on both pictures, not sure why the bottom pic looks brighter

Last edited by heatherlynn; 02-22-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #465
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
You're not crazy, heatherlynn. If you look at the text in the top paragraph, you'll see it looks a lot clearer compared to the ones below it.

From what I can see anyway, the muddiness becomes very obvious at the line beginning with the word "complicated", although the two lines above it are also starting to look a little muddy/blotchy.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote