Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #826
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
I experimented with this plugin a little but it seems like you have to become an expert in ebook formats to understand how to use it effectively. I read through the first 100 replies or so but I didn't encounter much "check for <this> and then correct with <that>" instruction.

Would be really helpful if somebody had a little crib sheet of checks with corrections with a brief explanation. Even a "top 10" would be helpful.

Any takers?
Did you click Help in the Quality check icon menu?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:56 AM   #827
darrenmcg
Enthusiast
darrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Voyage 5.8.9.2
Any chance of a new feature...?

I asked about this in the main Calibre forum, but thought it might me more useful here... I don't suppose a function to clean the formatting in the metadata comments section could be implimented?

Currently I clear all formatting but I'm usually left with something like:
<p class="description">blah,blah,blah</p>
or:
<p>blah,blah,blah</p>
I'd like to get rid of all that and just have:
blah,blah,blah

I'm trying to have a "clean" <dc:description> in the epubs content.opf file and Clibre's comments section.
darrenmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #828
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenmcg View Post
I asked about this in the main Calibre forum, but thought it might me more useful here... I don't suppose a function to clean the formatting in the metadata comments section could be implimented?

Currently I clear all formatting but I'm usually left with something like:
<p class="description">blah,blah,blah</p>
or:
<p>blah,blah,blah</p>
I'd like to get rid of all that and just have:
blah,blah,blah

I'm trying to have a "clean" <dc:description> in the epubs content.opf file and Clibre's comments section.
You are trying to remove HTML from the comments part of the OPF?

Calibre can already 'Remove formatting' in the Metadata Comments in the Library. (Only available in single book MDE mode)
Once that is done. You Polish to get the Book updated

Modify EPUB can clean non-DC metadata
Old 01-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #829
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are trying to remove HTML from the comments part of the OPF?

Calibre can already 'Remove formatting' in the Metadata Comments in the Library. (Only available in single book MDE mode)
Once that is done. You Polish to get the Book updated

Modify EPUB can clean non-DC metadata
But if you clean out the non-DC metadata you clean out the cover metadata that some programs need to know about the cover. So that's a rather bad idea to use that option.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #830
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Modify EPUB is irrelevant. It uses calibre to embed metadata, and draws on the book record's "comments" field.

dc:description is a DC element.

The OP is correct that there is currently no way to do what he wants.

What is needed is some way to modify the contents of the "comments" field. See this thread for reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=268119
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #831
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you clean out the non-DC metadata you clean out the cover metadata that some programs need to know about the cover. So that's a rather bad idea to use that option.
Any person who wants to remove all traces of anything not pure cares less about those unclean devices.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #832
darrenmcg
Enthusiast
darrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterdarrenmcg can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Voyage 5.8.9.2
I've managed to find a solution to cleanup the comments. Thanks.
darrenmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #833
PiotrK
PiotrK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Can I make a feature request here? If not here, then how?

Please add joint MOBI file detection (e.g. files which contains both MOBI6 and MOBI8). Such files are problematic because calibre can't reliably change metadata. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1532161 for details / example of such file. Kovid Goyal suggested this FR.

Thanks.

Last edited by PiotrK; 01-14-2016 at 04:09 PM.
PiotrK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #834
lousi
lousi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm very sad to find this plugin does not work with calibre 2.49(64bit). Nothing found. it works well till 2.48.
lousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:50 AM   #835
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lousi View Post
I'm very sad to find this plugin does not work with calibre 2.49(64bit). Nothing found. it works well till 2.48.
I don't use the plugin much, but I just tried a few checks and they all worked.

What didn't work for you?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #836
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I will confirm: (for the following) W10x64
Page count: Adobe

Readability:
Flesch-Kincaid
Gunning Fox

Other:
Estimate Page/Word
Always overwrite
Old 03-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #837
edeniz
Zealot
edeniz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Tolino Shine, Samsung Galaxy S3
Question, because something confuses me:

What could be the reason if the plugin doesn't find the searched-for term in the epub?

For example, it's happened some time ago, that a searched-for text inside the epub body was not found, so I thought it maybe wasn't in any of the books in my library, but I found what I was looking for at a later date by sheer coincidence. It wasn't even like there were some special irregular, non-ASCII characters or some such in the text I was looking for.

Similarly, today I thought to do a search to find this in my epub:
Spoiler:
Code:
</td></tr></tbody></p>

and while there should have been at least one epub with it, the search returned empty. So, yeah, I'm confused. Something obvious I'm missing?

I realize this description may be far too vague. If so, sorry. But the point is, I have no idea what the criteria are that could cause the plugin to not recognize a search, and I have not found anything about it in the help file, so maybe someone could point me in the right direction?
edeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #838
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeniz View Post
Question, because something confuses me:

What could be the reason if the plugin doesn't find the searched-for term in the epub?

For example, it's happened some time ago, that a searched-for text inside the epub body was not found, so I thought it maybe wasn't in any of the books in my library, but I found what I was looking for at a later date by sheer coincidence. It wasn't even like there were some special irregular, non-ASCII characters or some such in the text I was looking for.

Similarly, today I thought to do a search to find this in my epub:
Spoiler:
Code:
</td></tr></tbody></p>

and while there should have been at least one epub with it, the search returned empty. So, yeah, I'm confused. Something obvious I'm missing?

I realize this description may be far too vague. If so, sorry. But the point is, I have no idea what the criteria are that could cause the plugin to not recognize a search, and I have not found anything about it in the help file, so maybe someone could point me in the right direction?
I don't believe the PI does REGEX because that might be what you need)
the \s* allows for 'pretty' (indented/multiline) coding
But ???
why not search for JUST </table> and avoid the multi-line issue?

I assume that you want to edit books that HAVE tables

Code:
</td>\s*</tr>\s*</tbody>\s*</p>
Old 03-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #839
edeniz
Zealot
edeniz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Tolino Shine, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't believe the PI does REGEX because that might be what you need)
the \s* allows for 'pretty' (indented/multiline) coding
But ???
why not search for JUST </table> and avoid the multi-line issue?

I assume that you want to edit books that HAVE tables

Code:
</td>\s*</tr>\s*</tbody>\s*</p>
Yeah, no, I don't think it does regex either, which is half the problem. But the thing is, that line? is not a multiline. It's a single line, that is present in the ebook in exactly the form I've written it down. I can't just look for </table>, because I have a lot of books that have multiple tables in them, and I am looking for a specific few ones. Actually, the line I was looking for is far longer, but as regex won't work, the bit I mentioned is basically the only thing I can search without getting too many false positives, so to say. But having nevertheless tried that too, as well as <table>, I can honestly say even that search turns up negative.

Also, that doesn't explain why utterly normal text (well, normal aside from the fact that it is inside a table, come to think of it) will not be found by the plugin either.

There has to be a reason, so if there are reasons, like say, tables are inherently unsearchable or something, I'd like to know for future reference.
edeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #840
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yeah, no, I don't think it does regex either, which is half the problem.
@edeniz:

You can use the Multi-Column Search plug-in to do full-text searches (using regular expressions) on selected epubs after converting them to .txt files, but still with the original html tags. Pandoc can do that.

See the attached example which includes the explanatory ToolTips.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mcs_full_text_search_txt_format_converted_from_epub_retaining_all_html_tags.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	147078  
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote