Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #91
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Try a restart. If that doesn't fix it a factory reset then slowly add each book. It could be bad book or a defective device but it's hard to know without troubleshooting.
I actually did a factory reset the first night. Reading at night with the light made the slow page refresh really noticeable and much more annoying. I meant to restart but pressed the wrong thing. I wanted the device to be ready the next morning so I downloaded about 40 books from amazon.

Can a book cause trouble if its from Amazon and not one of your own that you converted?
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #92
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
@alism and @xendula. Might be a firmware issue then. Just to be clear though, are we talking about slow page refreshing in Kindle books or in PDFs or in Manga?
Mine are all kindle books.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #93
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I was wrong to criticize the critics of the PW. I assumed that the slight uniformity issues I have with mine are what was being described as unacceptable. Now seeing the A vs B of Jack's post I no that there are large variations in quality between models. I guess I just lucked out, and will respect that not everyone did.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #94
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
I actually did a factory reset the first night. Reading at night with the light made the slow page refresh really noticeable and much more annoying. I meant to restart but pressed the wrong thing. I wanted the device to be ready the next morning so I downloaded about 40 books from amazon.

Can a book cause trouble if its from Amazon and not one of your own that you converted?
Yes. You can get bad books from anywhere. Sometimes a file gets corrupted while being sent from the Cloud (formerly called Archive). Sometimes a book is formatted by monkeys, or so it would seem if you looked at the underlying HTML and CSS! There are some really badly formatted books where the author/publisher clearly has no background in how to create an eBook.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #95
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Cloud (formerly called Archive). Sometimes a book is formatted by monkeys, or so it would seem if you looked at the underlying HTML and CSS! There are some really badly formatted books where the author/publisher clearly has no background in how to create an eBook.
So true! This is why I run all my books through my own step by step clean up then re convert with Calibre and send to the PD Cloud.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #96
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
PW is now scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I already had the 3G but I think I've been upgraded to one w/o SO.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #97
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
PW is now scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I already had the 3G but I think I've been upgraded to one w/o SO.
Terrific! They had listed my replacement as not being an SO but it turned out to be one after all, but I did get the 3G. I really didn't care about the SO as I like having it. I already saved 90% on buying Boardwalk Empire via the replacement's SOs!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #98
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just received the replacement PW which came in a box labeled with an "R" BTW. It is better than my original but there is still some splotchiness. There are fewer splotches, that aren't in a diagonal pattern and the main one is higher up on the page.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I will read on the replacement for the rest of the week and then either keep it or send both back and wait for the 2nd generation PW.

Oh, and it still came with Special Offers, so there was no upgrade.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #99
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

double post - sorry

Last edited by daffy4u; 10-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #100
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
@alism and @xendula. Might be a firmware issue then. Just to be clear though, are we talking about slow page refreshing in Kindle books or in PDFs or in Manga?
Regular kindle novels purchased through amazon.com. That's all I read....

I just received two repacements, and one won't even turn on and says it needs repair (ghosted on the screen)!! The other one has one white spot and three dark ones above it that at first I thought were on top of the screen, but it must be something stuck underneath the screen, as I can't rub it away. It looks like a flower with three petals. Arrrgh.

Last edited by xendula; 10-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #101
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Regular kindle novels purchased through amazon.com. That's all I read....

I just received two repacements, and one won't even turn on and says it needs repair (ghosted on the screen)!! The other one has one white spot and three dark ones above it that at first I thought were on top of the screen, but it must be something stuck underneath the screen, as I can't rub it away. It looks like a flower with three petals. Arrrgh.
After so many returns it is possible Amazon is starting to recycle those as replacements. Sounds like you got doubly bent over the barrel on your replacements.

Quote:
Just received the replacement PW which came in a box labeled with an "R" BTW. It is better than my original but there is still some splotchiness. There are fewer splotches, that aren't in a diagonal pattern and the main one is higher up on the page.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I will read on the replacement for the rest of the week and then either keep it or send both back and wait for the 2nd generation PW.

My box is also labeled with the "R" as are most/all from what I'm reading. I'm sorry the replacement isn't better. I'm not totally pleased with mine either, but it is better than attaching a big heavy MightyBright to it, though just... So I'll keep it. But I plan to continue giving Amazon hell about this lackluster upgrade they call Paperwhite.

Hey we should start a thread on what PW could stand for:

PW = Please Wait for your next replacement.

PW = Paper Whiz because the color closely resembles the spot on the carpet after my cat whizzed on it.

PW = Paper Where? because I don't see anything here that even remotely resembles paper.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #102
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Could be, but I have seen no reports of a device having this repair blurb on the screen out of the box.

I have been on the phone with CS for the past 40 min. and they keep telling me they can't send any replacements before 10/16. This is slowly making me dislike Amazon, and I have been their biggest fan and converted a ton of people to kindlites!! With the other kindles, they were just awesome quality out of the box.

Last edited by xendula; 10-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #103
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
After so many returns it is possible Amazon is starting to recycle those as replacements.
I'm a little concerned they might be doing that too. I guess I'll see how mine is on Wednesday.

Sorry to those whose replacements still have issues.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #104
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

<sigh> Well, that is certainly discouraging. My replacement will arrive tomorrow and I may be facing the same dilemma as you. I still have an additional PW 3G coming in another week or so and have not cancelled... yet.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #105
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Could be, but I have seen no reports of a device having this repair blurb on the screen out of the box.

I have been on the phone with CS for the past 40 min. and they keep telling me they can't send any replacements before 10/16. This is slowly making me dislike Amazon, and I have been their biggest fan and converted a ton of people to kindlites!! With the other kindles, they were just awesome quality out of the box.
At this point I would return them both and read on your K4B. I am probably going to wait for next year's model when all these issues are fixed. I'm going to upgrade my Kindle Fire instead.

I remember how disappointed I was with my K4S and the replacement was not much better. Now I finally got a good eReader (K4B) I so do not want to go through all that again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote