Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Hanlin with large number of books?

I currently read ebooks using TealDoc on a Palm T3. I have a large (3000+) collection of ebooks in text and PDB format (easily convertible to text). I'm considering an e-ink ebook reader. I have no interesting in wireless access, PDF support or DRM'd books.

My main concern is how well the interface would support a very large collection of books. With the Palm, I can just organise everything by directory as Genre/Author/Series/Book and this works great.

The Hanlin manual (and a YouTube review I found) seems to suggest the it uses a folder structure, but I can't find much detal. How exactly does the Hanlin file interface work, and could it cope with a very large number of files.

(PS: I'd probably be looking to get the V3R2 from ApolloXXI, if that matters)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Infovore
Infovore began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3 R2
The interface is spartan but both intuitive and effective. You can create as many folders and subfolders as you want. The screen displays up to 8 folders/files at a time (navigation inside a folder works by pressing forward/back buttons). Files and folders can be sorted according to several criteria (creation date, alphabetical, etc.).

I've read some complaints about that an extreme large number of files and folders might slow down navigation but never experienced it since I "only" carry around 200 books in the SD card.

As for ApolloXXI, I got my V3R2 from them: nice, fast and friendly service.

Regards
Infovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
The interface is spartan but both intuitive and effective. You can create as many folders and subfolders as you want. The screen displays up to 8 folders/files at a time (navigation inside a folder works by pressing forward/back buttons). Files and folders can be sorted according to several criteria (creation date, alphabetical, etc.).
That sounds ideal.

Quote:
I've read some complaints about that an extreme large number of files and folders might slow down navigation but never experienced it since I "only" carry around 200 books in the SD card.
As long as this isn't too extreme, and doesn't affect actual reading, just navigation, I could live with it.

How does automatic bookmarking work with the Hamlin software, does it remember you current place in multiple books, if you are switching between them? Does this depend on what format the books are in?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Infovore
Infovore began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3 R2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
How does automatic bookmarking work with the Hamlin software, does it remember you current place in multiple books, if you are switching between them? Does this depend on what format the books are in?
From my experience automatic bookmarking works just fine and does not depend on the format. There is also a "Recent files" folder, so you don't need to navigate each time through your folder structure to retrieve the last books you've been reading. You just have to remember to leave some marginal free storage space since this information is physically written on the storage device that holds the book.

This feature comes in handy if, for example, you are using several SD cards, as the bookmark information is stored on each card independently you don't lose it if you replace the card.
Infovore is offline   Reply With Quote