Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
[Metadata Source Plugin] Beam eBooks

This plugin allows calibre to read metadata from Beam eBooks when you choose to download/fetch metadata. Additionally to the usual author and title information, it obtains and stored the store-specific beam ebooks id which will be used in a forthcoming plugin to automatically synchronize your local calibre installation with your private bookshelf at beam eBooks.

Special thanks to kiwidude, whose plugins were a great inspiration.

Project overview is at OhLoh, and sources are available at Launchpad. Patches and pull requests very welcome

Main features on v1.0.0:
  • Can retrieve beam ebooks id, title, author
  • Option to set the series and series_index information for Perry Rhodan books
  • By retrieving the beam ebooks id this plugin is preparing ground for the upcoming bookshelf sync plugin
  • The beam ebooks id will also be displayed in the book details panel to be clicked on and taken directly to the website for that book

Installation Notes:
  • Use the plugin updater that is integrated in calibre since 0.8.6
  • If that is not possible, download the attached zip file and install the plugin as described in the Introduction to plugins thread
  • Note that this is not a GUI plugin so it is not intended/cannot be added to context menus/toolbars etc.

Donations:

If you find this or any of my other plugins useful please feel free to show your appreciation with PayPal or Flattr

Version History:

Spoiler:

Version 1.0.0 - 28 Jun 2011
Initial release of plugin

Attached Files
File Type: zip beam-ebooks-metadata-plugin-1.0.0.zip (6.3 KB, 211947 views)

Last edited by hakan42; 06-28-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added donation methods
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Rince123
Rince123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some titles won't get found

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakan42 View Post
This plugin allows calibre to read metadata from Beam eBooks when you choose to download/fetch metadata. Additionally to the usual author and title information, it obtains and stored the store-specific beam ebooks id which will be used in a forthcoming plugin to automatically synchronize your local calibre installation with your private bookshelf at beam eBooks.
Thank you for the plugin - I think I'll love it when it will synchronize

Right now I tried to fetch all metadata for my Perry Rhodan Books, but at some of them (especially the ones after 2600) won't get data. I will show one of the error messages:

Code:
calibre, version 0.8.29
ERROR: Keine Treffer gefunden: <p>Keine Bücher mit der aktuellen Suche gefunden. Versuchen Sie, die Suche <b>weniger spezifisch</b> zu formulieren. Verwenden sie beispielsweise nur den Nachnamen des Autors und ein einzelnes, prägnantes Wort aus dem Titel.<p>Um das gesamte Log zu sehen, wählen sie Details anzeigen.

Starting download 
Abfrage: title:PR 2604 – Die Stunde der Auguren; authors:Wim Vandemaan 
Running identify query with parameters: 
{u'authors': [u'Wim Vandemaan'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'PR 2604 \u2013 Die Stunde der Auguren'} 
Using plugins: Beam Ebooks, Google, Amazon.com 
The log from individual plugins is below 

****************************** Beam Ebooks ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.153.1 Safari/525.19')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Beam Ebooks took 0.0129890441895 
create_query
Title:  PR 2604 – Die Stunde der Auguren
Authors:  [u'Wim Vandemaan']
Identifiers:  {}
    Perry Rhodan, modified title: PR 2604 – Die Stunde der Auguren
Plugin Beam Ebooks failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/identify.py", line 42, in run
  File "calibre_plugins.beam_ebooks_metadata.__init__", line 74, in identify
  File "calibre_plugins.beam_ebooks_metadata.__init__", line 168, in _create_query
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u2013' in position 8: ordinal not in range(256) 

******************************************************************************** 

****************************** Google ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Google took 0.799514055252 

******************************************************************************** 

****************************** Amazon.com ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Amazon.com took 1.43345499039 
Trying alternate results page markup
No matches found with query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevanceexprank&field-author=Wim+Vandemaan&field-title=PR+2604++Die+Stunde+der+Auguren&search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1' 

The identify phase took 1.62 seconds 
The longest time (1.433455) was taken by: Amazon.com 
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service 
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
do you have any idea what goes wrong there?

Thanks for the help
Rince123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
hakan42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince123 View Post
Thank you for the plugin - I think I'll love it when it will synchronize

Right now I tried to fetch all metadata for my Perry Rhodan Books, but at some of them (especially the ones after 2600) won't get data. I will show one of the error messages:

do you have any idea what goes wrong there?

Thanks for the help
Hi,

I would have guessed something with german umlauts because of:

Code:
168, in _create_query
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u2013' in position 8: ordinal not in range(256)
but strangely this specific book has no umlauts, neither in title nor in author. That \u2013 is a em-dash ( http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...2013/index.htm ), I vaguely remember having special code for that in book titles.

I'll look into this, but cannot promise anything before the weekend. Actually, make that christmas, project pressure at $PLACE_OF_WORK is horrible at the moment

If you don't hear back from me by monday, would you please kindly poke me again so I don't forget to look for a fix here?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Rince123
Rince123 began at the beginning.

Hi Hakan,

damned, I forgot to poke you here

But here it is, since I haven't heard from you yet... are you able and willing to check the code? I'd love to play betatester, but I haven't programmed in ages (and never python...), so I can't check by myself.
Rince123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
hakan42
Zealot

I consider myself poked

No, seriously, I restarted calibre programming last week. I'm working on a change to the core of calibre ( check in the developer subforum if interested ), but just about next thing on the menu are the metadata plugins...
Old 03-29-2020, 12:17 AM   #6
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Hello Folks,
i know this is a very old thread, but i found nothing newer.
Is there a working version of this addon to download metadata and especially cover from Beam?
Thanks
Thomas
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:10 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's in Preferences->Plugins->Get new plugins Enter 'beam' in the filter box, top right corner.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
Thomas_AR
Zealot

Thanks.
Should have looked there first
Old 03-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #9
Thomas_AR
Zealot

Just installed it from the Calibre - Preferences - Plugins.
Its the same old Version like here and not working at all.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:46 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
Just installed it from the Calibre - Preferences - Plugins.
Its the same old Version like here and not working at all.
That's because the version that the plugin updater installs comes from here

The OP hasn't logged in since 2016, you could try sending him a PM.

And post any debug messages here, someone might be able to do a quick fix.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2i, K3/KK WiFi, Basic (old), 2xFire, 2xPW (old), Voyage, Scribe
Exclamation

Installation of the plugin failed on Calibre 5.12. It told me to post the error message here:

Code:
calibre, version 5.12.0
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 709, in _install_clicked
  File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
  File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
  File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 293, in load
  File "importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
  File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 192, in exec_module
  File "calibre_plugins.beam_ebooks_metadata.__init__", line 12, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name 'quote' from 'urllib' (C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\app\bin\python-lib.bypy.frozen\urllib\__init__.pyc)
Please advise!

Thank you!
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:54 AM   #12
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I think it doesn't work anymore because it wasn't updated for python3?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote