Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #31
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
I will wait on user reviews before I order one of these. The KPW now has some serious competition. It will be interesting to see what Amazon does in response.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #32
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
This one's definitely upping the ante. So many people here have clamoured after a slightly larger e-ink reader, and here it is - probably just big enough to manage PDFs and graphic novels, for those with reasonably sharp eyes anyhow. And it should be a brilliant reader for people who need larger fonts on their epubs.

I have no real need for it, but if I can handle the extra weight I think I'd still find it difficult to resist!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #33
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
This looks pretty nice.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #34
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
It is priced at around AU$220 in Australia. As per usual, higher priced than anywhere else.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04...k-of-ereaders/

A pretty expensive bit of kit, not much cheaper than a Google Nexus 7.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #35
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
I will wait on user reviews before I order one of these. The KPW now has some serious competition. It will be interesting to see what Amazon does in response.
I will too..Kindle PW is awful .. I have one. I have the Kobo Glo as well and is much better.. Now Kindle is going to have to really step it up..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #36
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
The Kobo Aura HD is very tempting.

Kobo took all the good things from the Glo and made it better.

I like the fact the screen is bigger - close to 7 inch.

Glo is a little short when reading manga or comics.

Does anybody know if the Aura supports PDF overflow to make PDF easier to read?

The tech specs states:
eBooks: EPUB, PDF, and MOBI

Is Mobi support back? Because Mobi support was absent from the Glo.

I wonder how Amazon will respond? Will they revive the Kindle DX line?

-----------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I bought the Glo about 1 month ago, so I don't know if I will get the Kobo Aura HD or not.

I was planning to wait at least 5 years for a sub $200 colour ereader to be produced.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #37
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I have a vehicle purchase pre-empting any other "lifestyle improvement" expenses in the immediate future, but depending how that shakes out I may well pick up one of these. I'll probably give it until late July to see if B&N is still in the game--a new reader from them would probably have the PPI, improved lighting, microSD and Android. If I could have a front-lit, decent PPI reader with at least as much developer interest as the NST, I'd be a happy camper.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Would it be possible to run stock Android on it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #39
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
It seems that the expected uk price is £140
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #40
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
But no user replaceable battery...
Does the Glo have a replaceable battery? If not, do people find the Glo as easy to pry apart as past Kindle models?

I'm actually glad my attempts to demo the Glo locally have failed, as I'd probably have bought one. This device seems far better. Powell's will probably get them, which means I might be able to try out the Aura when next I visit Portland.

As for the Paperwhite, I might pick one up when the device is no longer premium. My hoary Kindle Keyboard seems far easier to customize (I love seeing Ernst Haeckel illustrations on my standby screen), and I use it mostly to harvest books to convert to epub.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #41
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Does the Glo have a replaceable battery? If not, do people find the Glo as easy to pry apart as past Kindle models?
The Glo battery is easily replacable, see this post for specs: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=1. Hopefully the Aura will be the same.

Edit: By easily I mean the back can be removed without tools and the battery connection requires no solder.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-16-2013 at 01:29 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Would it be possible to run stock Android on it?
I seriously doubt it; this is NOT an Android based device, and is expected to be very close to the the existing Touch/Mini/Glo as far as it's O/S and applications go; ie a straight linux environment, with an Adobe RMSDK based reader for ePub2, and also an Access based engine for kEpub support.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #43
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Looks like a very nice device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #44
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
If it means A4 PDFs can be read well and page turning etc is handled well also, I'm up for getting one.

ATM I use a tablet for reading PDFs for Roleplaying games books, but it'd be nice to have the extended battery life of an eink ereader instead of the 6-7 hours of use I get out of a tablet and the slow recharge (several hours).

And at that pricepoint, it's very tempting. A bit decadent tho, seeing as I only got my Glo a few months ago.

[rationalization]
Still, my wife has been looking enviously at my Kobo glo and my daughter can get my Wife's Kobo Touch (My son already has a Kobo Touch).
[/rationalization]
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
[rationalization]
Still, my wife has been looking enviously at my Kobo glo and my daughter can get my Wife's Kobo Touch (My son already has a Kobo Touch).
[/rationalization]
I have used that rationalisation in the past. Until one day my wife asked why she always got the second-hand device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote