Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #16
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
On the positive side, Beta testers have the opportunity to influence the interface. That is interesting.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #17
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
On the positive side, Beta testers have the opportunity to influence the interface. That is interesting.
My reading of the offer is that you don't get to point out missing features, you just get to find bugs they don't catch themselves (like my mysterious first thing in the morning bug).

Besides, shouldn't they be calling this Alpha Tester's needed? I thought anyone with an iLiad was a beta tester.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #18
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024

Besides, shouldn't they be calling this Alpha Tester's needed? I thought anyone with an iLiad was a beta tester.

Lol...

I thought of signing up as a beta tester, but after I read b_k's comment i quickly changed my mind

By waiting this much for the device, then software updates i think i developed enough patience to be able to wait a little longer for relatively stable firmware releases
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Yes, but you could become an official beta tester by signing up
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #20
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Yes, but you could become an official beta tester by signing up
I would like to get that "official beta tester-badge". But on the other hand, there is their service.
I just don't get why they don't use a boot loader that can program the flash (or give us the possibility to access it). There are enough of them out there, only two names: Redboot or U-Boot. Must be that whole "security-by-obscurity"-thing. And one last thing: I had a SIMPad and a Zaurus in the past and I didn't manage to brick them like I did with the iLiad, especially because I could reflash the devices from the bootloader level.

Last edited by b_k; 09-25-2006 at 02:58 PM.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #21
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hi!

I've indeed been on the beta-tester list for a while now, but so far I have received just as much info as you have...^^
The beta-test hasn't started yet, so...:-)

I'm looking forward to this, although I don't really have a technical background...
I don't think they're doing much more than giving us the Sodtware a bit earlier so that we can help them with finding bugs that their small team would miss.

btw.: So far I haven't signed any NDA, but since there is nothing I could disclose at this point anyway, I'm pretty sure that's not too bad...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #22
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
I just don't get why they don't use a boot loader that can program the flash (or give us the possibility to access it).
Just think of a bricked iLiad as iRex's way of giving a beta tester a well earned time off.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:06 AM   #23
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by developer.irexnet.com
To sign up for the Beta Test Program you need to [...] have a positive attitude toward iRex [...]
We're not allowed for Beta Testers anyways, so what?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #24
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
We're not allowed for Beta Testers anyways, so what?
Hey, I have a very positive attitude... towards the iLiad. Well, iRex gets to inherit some of this attitude because they went to actually make the machine after some years of prototyping at Phillips dungeons. And I am positive towards the iLiad engineers because it is not a windows tablet machine!
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:33 AM   #25
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Hey, I have a very positive attitude... towards the iLiad. Well, iRex gets to inherit some of this attitude because they went to actually make the machine after some years of prototyping at Phillips dungeons. And I am positive towards the iLiad engineers because it is not a windows tablet machine!
Me too...! I'm positive about the Irex as its the first useful e-reader out there. And anything that makes it more useful to me will just add value to it... I'm concerned about the possibilities about bricking the device, but if I am selected for the Beta program I will defintly double check what Irex has in place for the testers...

Irex must be getting very mixed messages about their baby... First people want to be able to use it early, and then they don't want to help...! (Even though back in July it was stated that this is a beta program...!)
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #26
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
There seem to be new releases all timed at nearly the same date for iRex 2.7, Mobipocket and Adobe. Any clues if support for Adobe DRM and/or Mobipocket is getting closer? Anyone have an ear to the ground? An NDA might make sense if this is what is being 'hidden' until formal announcements.

Of course, if you have signed, DRAT!
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #27
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Okie, I agree. Same here.

I still think that "NDA" and "GPL" do not mix. And the announcement doesn't look like the day where they release all the sources is near. I'd love to beta-test things and then fix bugs myself. I don't love to beta-test-and-shut-up software that isn't even theirs.

(So I wrote to gpl-violations.org; trouble ticket #664.)

Loves to stirr up things sometimes:
ali
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #28
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
There seem to be new releases all timed at nearly the same date for iRex 2.7, Mobipocket and Adobe. Any clues if support for Adobe DRM and/or Mobipocket is getting closer? Anyone have an ear to the ground? An NDA might make sense if this is what is being 'hidden' until formal announcements.

Of course, if you have signed, DRAT!
Guess what. Ones upon a time I was so positive about IRex that I checked if I could buy Irex shares.

Above rumour of MobiPocket and Adobe DRM support would certainly be one step closer to securing success and happy Iliad owners!

There are two difficult questions here:
- There seems to be no possibility to invest in the company (on the other hand over optimistic investors won't loose any money )
- Nobody knows how many steps it will take for the final break through of electronic reading devices and will Irex finally make it.

We'll have to wait and see. However I'm affraid waiting will be the bigger share of it..
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #29
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
(So I wrote to gpl-violations.org; trouble ticket #664.)
Oops Please keep us updated!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #30
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
Okie, I agree. Same here.

I still think that "NDA" and "GPL" do not mix. And the announcement doesn't look like the day where they release all the sources is near. I'd love to beta-test things and then fix bugs myself. I don't love to beta-test-and-shut-up software that isn't even theirs.

(So I wrote to gpl-violations.org; trouble ticket #664.)...
well, I think for a closed user group (beta-testers in this case) they should be perfectly legal for not releasing the sources. However I highly doubt that would apply to the regular releases. But, IANAL.

Last edited by b_k; 09-26-2006 at 01:05 PM.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote