Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Voice Recognition Software and writing

Does anyone use voice recognition software for writing? I'm thinking about a new computer and wondering if it is worth adding to the shopping list.

If so, what software and OS do you use?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi.
I've used the dragon Naturally speaking product before. It;s supposed to be one of the best out there, but i quickly grew tired of it. It picks up the vast majority of your words, but for the amount of time you need to edit and go back over, I felt it wasnt worth it as I had no peace of mind about anything it had done.
This was about 18mths ago. maybe its improved, but for me it wasnt worth it. hope this helps.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I've used the speech recognition built into Vista and Windows 7. It's good but not great. My experience is similar to what LazyScot reported. I wanted perfection and speed and it didn't happen. I gave up.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
JoeC, Direct Ebooks,

Many thanks for the responses.

Your comments add to my suspicion is that Voice Recognition doesn't simplify/add to the writing experience unless you have a disability of some kind or are lucky enough to write perfectly first time. If, as you both indicate, you then add in that the quality of the recognition isn't high enough for a wide ranging vocabulary it sounds like it is not really worth it. (However, if all you want to say are digits, letters and up/down, I guess it is better).

I'd be very interested in anyone else's experience, but it sounds like it is not including on the shopping list. At least not yet.

Or is there anyone else out there who is a fan of the technology?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
i've used dragon-speaking at work, (not for writing, though) but found that it very easily picks up background noise that can cause it to throw many a wobbly....

btw: the speech recognition in Vista is supposed to be dragon-speaking but a couple of versions ago....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I wrote a fantasy story using the Windows Vista built in recognition engine and it worked fairly well. It wasn't perfect, but it worked for getting a different take on the story.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:48 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just apropos to the thread topic, there was recently a New Scientist article talking to Terry Pratchett where he talks about such software:
"Recently Pratchett has become almost as famous for having Alzheimer's disease as he is for selling 65 million books in over 35 languages. He was diagnosed with posterior cortical atrophy (PCA) two years ago - a rare form of the disease which causes the back of the brain to shrink. He has lost his ability to type as a result and had to dictate Unseen Academicals to his assistant. For his latest book he's using a speech-to-text computer program called Dragon Dictate, which learns as it goes. He has dumped his entire collection of novels onto the hard drive and has been training the program not only to recognise his accent but also to learn the words he uses - orc and yennork aren't in most authors' lexicons. "It's astonishing," he says, but he finds it falls down on punctuation."
The full article can be found here, for Pratchett fans:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...asy-alive.html
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote