Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
mmariep2
mmariep2 began at the beginning.

Device: K2 / Sony PRS-600
Anyone else notice the huge margins?

So I'm reading my second book on the 600 and I love the device. However, I have noticed a consistently large margin around the left, right, and bottom of the text for both books (bought from the Sony bookstore). I have also experimented with opening various ePub books and PDF docs from various sources and the large margins are still there (and remain regardless of the font sizes).

Now, I have searched this forum and the web and seen a handful of pics of other 600 readers where the text goes almost right to the edge of the screen on the three sides mentioned above.

So what gives? Is this a hack or do the margins just vary from file to file? (if it's a file thing, I haven't found a file to prove otherwise!)

Is it a big deal? No, but I'd say at least 4 more lines of text would fit on my screen (at medium font size) just without the large margin at the bottom and it just seems like such a waste of space - mildly irritating but not a deal-breaker. Any feedback?
mmariep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The Sony books have large margins, but others prefer smaller margins, like yourself, and if it'ss a DRM free book, lots of members here shrink the margins. Also lots of the books available on here are this way.

I actually like the big margins It's just a matter of taste. Unfortunately, with the Sony ebookstore books, they are encrypted (in a way which hasn't been broken) and you can't fiddle with their margins.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
mmariep2

And in the case of a DRM free book, how would one go about shrinking margins? I have seen instructions for hacking fonts, but not really anything about changing margins (assuming it's some other kind of hack?)

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You have to use calibre to do this. Ironically you can't do this very well with LRF files so I often download MOBI, LIT, or ePUB files then convert them to LRF files. Even though most DRM-Free places offer LRF files.

Some readers like MobiePocket can remove margins and change font sizes without having to create a new book. It would have been nice if SONY built the same feature in their software.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've found the margins to be different depending on the publishers.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You have to use calibre to do this. Ironically you can't do this very well with LRF files so I often download MOBI, LIT, or ePUB files then convert them to LRF files. Even though most DRM-Free places offer LRF files.

Some readers like MobiePocket can remove margins and change font sizes without having to create a new book. It would have been nice if SONY built the same feature in their software.

=X=
This must be why I haven't noticed any large margins. I use Calibre, but not the newest version. When they switched over to 6.0 they didn't do much with the lrf converter because they knew Sony was going to start supporting ePub. 6.0 was including extra page breaks and blank lines in the lrf files. I installed an older version on another computer and now do the conversions from lit to lrf on it. I can then import it to the newer version of Calibre so that I have all my ebooks in one place. A little extra work, but it's worth it to me.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
mmariep2

Success!!!!! I just reformatted an ePub in Calibre and set the margins really small and it worked! Much better! Now, if only I could do this with everything!!!!! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
chicagofilms
chicagofilms began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I can't stand the margins. You have a tiny screen to begin with, so why would Sony wast an inch with empty space for no good reason?

This makes buying books from Sony a big NO! as far as I'm concerned. I get them from other places and convert in Calibre to look normal.

I'm curious if this is an issue on the Kindle or Nook since I hardly use my Sony anymore because it is a chore to get books on it that are viewable without ridiculous margins. The only easy way is to grab a pirated copy already properly formatted but I'd rather support the author.
chicagofilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofilms View Post
I can't stand the margins. You have a tiny screen to begin with, so why would Sony wast an inch with empty space for no good reason?
It's absolutely nothing to do with Sony; it's the publisher who does the formatting of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's absolutely nothing to do with Sony; it's the publisher who does the formatting of the book.
Actually, in the case of the margins I think that is Sony. Every book in the ebookstore has margins like that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
chicagofilms
chicagofilms began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
I'm not too sure about that. Even the books from Sony, like the cheap/free "classics" have it too.
chicagofilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
With ePub, it is the publisher. With LRX, it's Sony's third party eBook formatter that screws things up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I use the RTF for my Sony 300, works great! I can set the margins in anyway I like them to be.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote