Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Editing custom columns

I'm just trying out Cataloguing for the first time with custom columns and so don't have much info - for now.

I've created a column and used the text etc. for column type. I want to change this to a yes/no type but Calibre will not allow editing here - what might I have done wrong.

Also, if I understand correctly if I tick-off the check mark the answer should show a green check mark or red cross - this doesn't seem to work for me.

Any help?
Thanks
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
I'm just trying out Cataloguing for the first time with custom columns and so don't have much info - for now.

I've created a column and used the text etc. for column type. I want to change this to a yes/no type but Calibre will not allow editing here - what might I have done wrong.

Also, if I understand correctly if I tick-off the check mark the answer should show a green check mark or red cross - this doesn't seem to work for me.

Any help?
Thanks
The marks only apply to True/False (includes the Tri-state: undefind = blank)

If you have already populated the TEXT column, it gets tricky to recover, but very doable using the Search and replace feature in Bulk Metadata edit.
(ask for instructions, telling us the EXACT values (includes Case) that exist. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
II've created a column and used the text etc. for column type. I want to change this to a yes/no type but Calibre will not allow editing here - what might I have done wrong.
You cannot change the type of a column. In some cases you can create a new column of the correct type and use search/replace to fill it in, or (often easier) search for the values in the original column that are to have some value in the new column, select the results, and then use bulk edit to set the value.
Quote:
The check will show only if the value in the column is one of 'yes', 'checked' or 'true', ignoring letter case. The X will show only if the value is one of 'no', 'unchecked', or 'false'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Thanks for the replies people - much appreciate your time.

I figured-out the check mark and cross - they show in the central pane NOT the book details pane.

Too bad about not being able to edit the customised columns. Luckily for me, I discovered this early.

THANKS Kovid for the original work on Calibre and ALL those who are helping in so many ways.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for the replies people - much appreciate your time.

I figured-out the check mark and cross - they show in the central pane NOT the book details pane.

Too bad about not being able to edit the customised columns. Luckily for me, I discovered this early.

THANKS Kovid for the original work on Calibre and ALL those who are helping in so many ways.
You can edit some things about some types of custom columns, just not change the structure of the column. Click the i in the column editor to see what it will let you do.

Note: use care when removing values for 'predefined text' that they are not in use. You can carefully re-order the list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert