Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Smile Tips for the Kindle Touch (Wanted)

As my Kindle Touch is reaching home, I'd like to know about your tips, pitfalls and swindles.
It looks that this may be a good source of information so, please, share your thoughts here.

Happy New Year for everybody!

jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Read the User Guide".

An obvious thing to say, but judging from the questions we get in this forum, it seems that relatively few people actually take the time to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Read the User Guide".

An obvious thing to say, but judging from the questions we get in this forum, it seems that relatively few people actually take the time to do so.
I will, for sure.

Actually I've read it already and I'll read it many more times.

What I mean is a little bit different from what's in the User Manual, I know there is much more than what's written there, including Calibre and KT integration and other interesting stuff. Not necessarily all information is displayed on Users Guides.

That is what I meant on this thread, something very alike the one who's now sticky about the K4 (non-touch). Inside expertise...

-.-

Last edited by jglerner; 12-31-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Tippo
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't know if it's my internet connection that caused the issue, but I decided to try SO on my KT. When I signed up for it, it only took a few minutes (and no restart) for it to show up. After awhile I decided it wasn't for me and turned it off. It did not turn off. After several hours of restarts, and a few on/off clicks at the source, SO still would not remove itself and I was forced to Factory Restore, which did solve the issue (in a very brutal way).

While my KT was shipping, I briefly tried the SO feature (when found out I could through this forum) on my K3. When it loaded and worked fine on K3, I removed it. After a restart SO was removed. So oddly enough I had issue with my KT but not my K3.
Sassapphras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
the user guide covers pretty much all you need to know about the Touch. if you're looking for any undocumented tips, there isn't much. Maybe just double-tap to go forward/backward 2 pages, and bring up the menu & hide it again to refresh the page. that's about it.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

There's also the Change Sort, go to Page # / Author Name options that are difficult for a first time user to know about. And I was not previously aware that Categories could be imported. You can also swipe up or down for for next/previous page while Home, or to go up/down a chapter while in a book.

I, personally, found little use for the User Guide. There were very few things in there that actually taught me something.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassapphras View Post
There's also the Change Sort, go to Page # / Author Name options that are difficult for a first time user to know about. And I was not previously aware that Categories could be imported. You can also swipe up or down for for next/previous page while Home, or to go up/down a chapter while in a book.

I, personally, found little use for the User Guide. There were very few things in there that actually taught me something.
Every one of the features that you say are difficult for the new user to know about are clearly explained in the User Guide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Every one of the features that you say are difficult for the new user to know about are clearly explained in the User Guide.
I stand corrected.