Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
Angry Big disappointment wit the KG

I was used to read on a HTC Flyer Tablet PC and since one week I am using a KG. The first impression was very positive, but know after some time I came to the conclusion that it´s quit a piece of partially crap.
The reading experience is absolutely amazing, but that´s it.
The handling is a complete disaster.
Turning pages or interacting in any way on the screen is choppy, but also with that I could still live.
To read pdfs, FORGET IT.
My Note and Annotations don´t get saved (apparently a known issue.)
Images can not be zoomed, that means I have to use the tablet or the pc to see the Graphics, pictures and tables.
Copy and paste not possible.

Yes I can see that the KG is useful for just reading nice literature, but I read 99.9 % nonfiction for professional use and I need to be able to work with the text, structure the createt content and organize bookmarks annotations and notes and a bookmark labeled "Bookmark: 24% into chapter" that I can not change is completely stupid. I guess the developers don´t use what they produce.
It seems for me there needs to be a lot of work still done, by now it´s not ready for daily use.
What a pity.

Last edited by Elfuente; 12-05-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: spelling error
Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
As you say, its fine for reading books (what it's mostly marketed for), but no, you're right, its not a tablet. As is reflected in the price.

Unfortunately you're not the only person to think that it's like a tablet that the batteries last for a month with.

It's not though, its a step up from an actual book, you'll still need a decent computer/tablet for images or even some PDFs.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
[sarcasm]
I was driving a Lexus, but traded it in on a Yaris because the Yaris got better gas mileage. The car drives OK, but it doesn't accelerate like the Lexus did and I miss the high end audio system. And to add insult to injury, although the gas mielage is good, I can't get the mileage according to the EPA rating. You would think since both are made by Toyota they would be the same...
[/sarcasm]
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
I never thought or expected it would be like a tablet, because I tested the KG before I bought it. It´s more that I see the implementation is terrible.
What´s the usefulness for example to label a bookmark "Bookmark: 24% into chapter". When I look later at the Annotations I don´t search for 24% I look for Content that refers to something. Even if it useful for someone, give me at least the option to label it as I want.
The same thing with the pictures not possible to zoom!! please, what is that, do you know that the images are stored in the Epub file as images, because the epub is actually a zip-file with content like pictures among other stuff. It would be very easy to implement that.

The KG has the potential to be a really good device if the developers would put some more effort, because I think it is nothing inherently missing. As I already said I think it´s just a poor implementation.
And come on boy, the issue with the notes and annotations that don´t get saved. It´s ridiculous that such a basic function is not working.
have a nice day
Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I agree about the pictures. I come from a Kindle and there zooming a picture is a common function. Was very surprised that the Kobo doesn't have a rather simple to implement function like that.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I see so many people buying Kobos expecting a near-tablet experience and coming away disappointed. Not that the OP is one of those people, his concerns are far more reasonable in my opinion. Image zooming and much, much, much better highlighting/annotating is certainly possible for ereaders and have been implemented by others. Copy and paste (I don't know if any ereader has this function, at least the major ones, kobo, kindle, nook) also doesn't seem to be an unreasonable request, although I personally have no need for it. The PDF is very sloppy, but I don't know how much better it can be given the technology (I've tried most functions on kobos, kindles, and nooks but have only used PDFs on Kobo)

Highlighting/annotating is certainly a feature I would love to see improved. I do not use my Kobo to read any professional publications or technical documents, but I do read a lot of non-fiction where I like to highlight certain ideas/arguments that I feel is particularly good (annotating not so much). The start and end markers are extremely jumpy. There is no way to highlight across multiple pages, you'd have to make a different highlight on each page. The workaround I used with the KT was to make the fonts smaller/bigger so the entirety of the passage is on the same page. But on the KG (and possibly the latest firmware of KT, haven't tried) once I reduce the fonts, get the passage on one page, highlight, increase the font again, the highlight disappears. For anyone interested, what does seem to work every time is, reduce (increase) font, highlight, exit the book, open the book again, change the font back. A real pain in the ass. Unless I'm missing something here, in which case I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong/if there is a simpler workaround.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
At least admit that labeling it a piece of shite because it does not suit your rather specific needs is à bit extreme.

I liked my Touch so much that I got a Glo and find it even better. No, I do not read PDF but also do understand the format was designed for computers, not devices with 6" displays so stick to the PC for that, and don't really care about pictures on a B&W display. Am I in the majority? Maybe not, but I don't think you are either...Yet, I don't go bashing other devices because I understand we live in a diverse world.

François

Last edited by frankieGom; 12-04-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
No, I do not read PDF but also do understand the format was designed for computers, not devices with 7" displays
That's not really true. PDF is designer for an exact size. It can be A4, A3 or 6" (I know people who only read PDF fitted to 6"). But trying to read a PDF fitted for A4 in a 6" inches.... no good.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
You will see that whenever someone asks "what device should I buy for reading technical PDFs?" in the What Should I Buy? forum, nobody recommends a 6" eInk reader.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
That's not really true. PDF is designer for an exact size. It can be A4, A3 or 6" (I know people who only read PDF fitted to 6"). But trying to read a PDF fitted for A4 in a 6" inches.... no good.
You are most probably right, and I agree allheartedly. I myself have never been in touch with anything but A4 (or the equivalent US sizes) PDFs.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
You are most probably right, and I agree allheartedly. I myself have never been in touch with anything but A4 (or the equivalent US sizes) PDFs.

François
I've made some of different sizes myself (and I still do in some cases)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfuente View Post
I never thought or expected it would be like a tablet, because I tested the KG before I bought it. It´s more that I see the implementation is terrible.
What´s the usefulness for example to label a bookmark "Bookmark: 24% into chapter". When I look later at the Annotations I don´t search for 24% I look for Content that refers to something. Even if it useful for someone, give me at least the option to label it as I want.
The same thing with the pictures not possible to zoom!! please, what is that, do you know that the images are stored in the Epub file as images, because the epub is actually a zip-file with content like pictures among other stuff. It would be very easy to implement that.

The KG has the potential to be a really good device if the developers would put some more effort, because I think it is nothing inherently missing. As I already said I think it´s just a poor implementation.
And come on boy, the issue with the notes and annotations that don´t get saved. It´s ridiculous that such a basic function is not working.
have a nice day
Elfuente thank you for drawing my attention to these deficits.

I read a lot of non-fiction and also want to highlight and annotate and be able to look at maps and drawings and pictures etc that are inclusive of the topic of the book.

The reason I am looking at buying a Glo is because it has lighting built in - which I need. My Sony 650 is just too dark for me to read comfortably in doors unless the lighting around me is 'just right'. So I've been reading from my Blackberry Playbook which is wonderful on my eyes in all lighting conditions.

However the Playbook's reader apps, including the native Kobo, don't have highlighting or annotation or other features that a fully fledged reader has. Also the playbook can get a tad heavy to hold for any length of time.

However, the PDF App is quite good.

So, it seems from what you're saying that the Glo isn't going to meet my needs as much as I'd hoped.

Do any notes and annotations get saved? Or is the Glo haphazard in saving them?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I would not recommend using an ereader to read PDFs.
I only use my KT (pretty much the same as the KG minus the light) for reading pure novels, just text and for that it does a great job.

If I have a PDF I want to read I would use my tablet, which arguably does a better job of reading PDFs than a PC does really given that I can carry it around switch orientations, pinch and grab the screen etc..

As to annotations I can't speak for that as I don't use them, I just read novels on my my and when I take a break let the auto-bookmark feature sort things out for me.

For me it's perfectly fit for purpose and especially at the price I got it for.

If I want any more functionality I'll use my tablet. (with the disadvantage of much less battery life and more of a strain on my eyes).
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
I bought mainly my Kobo Glo to replace my real life novels with digital versions, because I've reached a point when there is no space anymore in my place. Also, I want to be able to put documents on it to read them, instead of dragging those papers around. Those documents do have images that I'd like to see better on the Kobo Glo but now most of them appear shrinked on my Kobo Glo, that is my main issue so far. Beside novels too can have images like maps and stuff like that that too appear shrinked.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I agree image management with eink devices is poor.
eink writes pretty slowly and control isn't great.
There are a few novels with images, but it's not like it's that important for the reading experience as a novel.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote