Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #46
Refom1
Member Retired
Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kindle 2, Android tablet
That's definitely a cracked screen and if you were carrying it in a backpack with no protection, it's not surprising it happened. Repairing them is not possible. I don't think cracked screens are a "quality problem" as my husband is using my 4 year old K1 and it's still perfect. He does carry it in his backpack but it's well protected in an Oberon cover. My 1 year old K2 is also still perfect. If you toss your Kindle in a bag with no protection, or foolishly leave it where it can be stepped on, sat on, chewed on by Fido or messed with by a toddler, well then you have to expect that damage is going to happen.
Refom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eink screens do not leak. What you have there is a broken glass substrate. Sorry, but it's damaged.

Someone on MR has a demo K3 that he bought at a flea market that maybe you could try to buy and swap the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
My wife stepped on my K3 screen and it looked just like the picture in the first post. I called CS and they said it wasn't covered because of user abuse.

I called about a week later, talked to someone else and asked them how much it would cost for them to fix it. They said they couldn't fix it, but they gave me a replacement for $60! I had to send my old one back but they did 2-3 day shipping on the replacement so I was pretty happy.

I would just call them and ask them how much a replacement would be.
That is a very good idea. $60 is actually very reasonable.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #49
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
My screen shows strange lines

Hi. I have a similar problem with my K2. I've never let it fell, it has never bumped into anything and it's always inside a leather case. Some days ago I was reading at night when I finished I just put down the device. Next morning the screen showed distorted text and strange lines like those of the OP. It seems that the device is still operating, as I managed to restarted - I see some flashes, but no images or text - and I can see some white lines when I try to move around the menus - though I don't see them.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/img0694ml.jpg/

I contacted with Amazon today, let's see what their response is.
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #50
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

Great. They're going to replace it for another one.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yeah, yours is not a broken/cracked glass substrate, Adamastorx. That picture indicates something else entirely. Glad to hear they're replacing it for you.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #52
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yuk that looks awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastorx View Post
Hi. I have a similar problem with my K2. I've never let it fell, it has never bumped into anything and it's always inside a leather case. Some days ago I was reading at night when I finished I just put down the device. Next morning the screen showed distorted text and strange lines like those of the OP. It seems that the device is still operating, as I managed to restarted - I see some flashes, but no images or text - and I can see some white lines when I try to move around the menus - though I don't see them.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/img0694ml.jpg/

I contacted with Amazon today, let's see what their response is.
did that happen right there where the pic was taken (screen up, no case or cover)?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #53
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
did that happen right there where the pic was taken (screen up, no case or cover)?
No. This was just for the photo. I always used it with the cover. Never dropped it.

Anyway, the replacement arrives Monday.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #54
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool good

Quote:
No. This was just for the photo. I always used it with the cover. Never dropped it.

Anyway, the replacement arrives Monday.
good to hear.

how do you get in touch with kindle customer service in spain? i always open my amazon account, in manage you kindle, choose 'kindle support', then choose 'Contact Kindle Support' and then choose it again, and finally choose 'phone'. then sit back and wait till a rep calls me (usually happens in a minute or so).
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yeah, yours is not a broken/cracked glass substrate, Adamastorx. That picture indicates something else entirely. Glad to hear they're replacing it for you.
It is a broken screen.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #56
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I disagree. It is cracked in the bottom left corner.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #57
Adamastorx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
good to hear.

how do you get in touch with kindle customer service in spain? i always open my amazon account, in manage you kindle, choose 'kindle support', then choose 'Contact Kindle Support' and then choose it again, and finally choose 'phone'. then sit back and wait till a rep calls me (usually happens in a minute or so).
I had to call to the US, but it's not that expensive and I don't have to buy a new Kindle, so...
Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It is a broken screen.
Quote:
I disagree. It is cracked in the bottom left corner.
We can all agree to disagree then. Because that doesn't look anything like the broken screens I've seen.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #59
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool ah ha

Quote:
I had to call to the US, but it's not that expensive and I don't have to buy a new Kindle, so...
ah ha, they must have an outgoing 800 number that is just for the usa (or maybe north amreica) and when your net connection shows up as from somewher else they don't call you back, you must call them.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #60
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I know some people like naked Kindles, but I could never carry mine naked..I've always had a cover for it and knock wood, never had a broken one.

But, I have noticed that they're becoming less sturdy with each generation and this trend doesn't make me happy. Personally, I'd pay more to have a rock solid device.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, kindle 3, kindle leak screen, screen leak