Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Can Calibre manage books I purchase from the Sony store?

I have some books downloaded from the sony store, so far all free ones though I'm very tempted to buy a copy of the new Artemis Fowl book. Anyway, as I'm sure many people here do, I despise the Sony Reader software. It's one of the clunkiest, most poorly designed programs I've ever seen. I wanted to know if Calibre can import the books I have from there or if I'm stuck managing them in the Sony software. Do I need to strip the DRM first or can Calibre handle things that have DRM (I don't know which if any have DRM mind you. As I said, so far I've only downloaded free books, but I imagine some if not all do have it).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
calibre can manage them in terms of storing them and uploading them to the sony. However without removing the DRM it is not possible to do things like change the embedded metadata or convert to other formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
I wanted to know if Calibre can import the books I have from there or if I'm stuck managing them in the Sony software. Do I need to strip the DRM first or can Calibre handle things that have DRM (I don't know which if any have DRM mind you. As I said, so far I've only downloaded free books, but I imagine some if not all do have it).
I use calibre to manage all my books, including those I purchase from Sony. If a book has DRM calibre can't view it or convert it to another format but it can manage it and transfer the book to your reader fine.

Personally I remove the DRM so I can change the font size. You can find info on this under Adobe Adept on Apprentice Alf's blog.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Thanks folks.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
zyzzyva57
zyzzyva57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
I needed this

I am having a major problem with downloads from the Sony Bookstore, because the darn font is so small even when I use the Enlarge button my Sony PRS 505 -- I really wish Sony would make the font of its books "englargeable" for us with weak eyes
zyzzyva57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I use calibre to manage all my books, including those I purchase from Sony.
So do I! Now my entire ebook library is in Calibre, I don't think there is a better product, if there is, I haven't seen it.

Plus, there is a ton of expertise on this board which also helps when one gets stuck trying to do something in Calibre.

Last edited by chilady1; 08-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote