Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #46
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I understand completely. I used to work as a data entry clerk, and after OCR-ing a document one might have the task to reconstruct the words from imperfectly gathered letters. Sometimes errors did occur on that level, and they were quite hidden in plain sight.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
There are a lot of OCR'ed books out there that are illegal and full of typos.
Nowadays most of the pirated books are retail editions. The time of illegal OCR-d books is long past.

Before you ask how I know, yes, I visit a couple of pirate sites regularly. To see what new books have been released. They're neatly grouped by genres there and it's easy to get an overview, much easier than at any legal stores, including Amazon. Who insists on lumping all paranormal romance in with SF and fantasy. Pirates don't do that.

It's off topic of course, I apologize.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-28-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #48
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nowadays most of the pirated books are retail editions. The time of illegal OCR-d books is long past.

Before you ask how I know, yes, I visit a couple of pirate sites regularly. To see what new books have been released. They're neatly grouped by genres there and it's easy to get an overview, much easier than at any legal stores, including Amazon. Who insists of lumping all paranormal romance in with SF and fantasy. Pirates don't do that.

It's off topic of course, I apologize.
Agreed. Better than waiting for emails which are ill forwarded and formatted. It's fascinating to hear others's take on the subject. And what is happening on the pirate sites.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It all depends on what/how/how long I've been reading something as well. I'm more likely to notice a misspelling in the middle of a short news article than I am in the second hour of a reading session of a novel I'm thoroughly enjoying.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #50
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that we have a spellchecker in Sigil and Calibre, it's unforgivable for even a single typo. But what is abominable is when the eBook has errors the pBook doesn't have.
How about the classing Nook-ing? https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3994

I assume that particular example is probably fairly rare, but the power of search & replace has likely struck plenty.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #51
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
OK. Thanks.
I certainly wouldn't want to read a book's-worth of it, but that little experiment is a perfect example of why I may not even see a lot of typos whenever I read. I'm hardly ever breaking a word down into its individual letters when I read. My brain is willing to see the correct whole word if there's enough markers/context in place to allow it to do that.
This "ability" also contributes to proofreaders missing errors.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
This "ability" also contributes to proofreaders missing errors.
Exactly. Which is why all book[s] did, do, and always will, have some errors.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #53
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
all book
That kinda jarring though.

(Hopefully, so is something above. )
Old 02-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Can't even give a guy 2 minutes for corrections?

That's another part of the problem.
People don't only have to get it right. They have to get it right right now.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Did you have any difficulty reading the jumbled passage?
I can understand it but not as fast as I'd normally read. I certainly wouldn't want to read a whole page that's written entirely like that.

I'm quite forgiving of occasional typos (or bad OCR). As mentioned, the brain's interesting and shows us what we expect to see. Too many errors and I start finding it quite distracting and takes me out of the story.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm quite forgiving of occasional typos (or bad OCR). As mentioned, the brain's interesting and shows us what we expect to see. Too many errors and I start finding it quite distracting and takes me out of the story.
Agreed. I think that describes most people. But I DO think there are more than a few people who believe that getting through a book without any distractions means that there weren't any mistakes in it. We miss and forget probably more than we'll ever know. Unless we stop and make a note of them when we encounter them, I guess. Talk about taking someone out of a story.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
There are a lot of OCR'ed books out there that are illegal and full of typos.
It's not just illegal ones.

I think publishers may have lost the manuscript or don't have an electronic copy for some of their catalog titles. I've bought several catalog releases that had a number of OCR errors. Often, these were correctly spelled words that were out of context in the sentence/paragraph. If I have a copy of the print book, I'd sometimes check if I couldn't figure out the sentence correctly from the context.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #58
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's not just illegal ones.

I think publishers may have lost the manuscript or don't have an electronic copy for some of their catalog titles. I've bought several catalog releases that had a number of OCR errors. Often, these were correctly spelled words that were out of context in the sentence/paragraph. If I have a copy of the print book, I'd sometimes check if I couldn't figure out the sentence correctly from the context.
Thank you for the specifications. I'm not quite knowledgeable about these peccadilloes. This aspect of publishing seems to be a bad thing for the future. I usually just post at the lounge forum. I am a part-time lurker, you know?
Old 02-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #59
Frenzie
Wizard

Doesn't need to be publishers as such either. Over at https://dbnl.org/, for example, you'll find a fair amount of texts that were OCR-ed a few decades ago. The biggest tell is e/c/o confusion.

Given that a fair number of the texts I'm referring to are in Middle Dutch, where spelling was quite variable, it can sometimes be more confusing than you might expect. (Of course the OCR was done on paper editions of the original manuscripts from within the past century or two; OCR-ing the original manuscripts with such minor mistakes would be quite a feat!)

I hasten to add that they provide a very valuable service. Don't take any of this negatively. It's just a minor beauty flaw.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #60
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Have you ever written a book? Have ever proof-read a novel-length book? Those little mistakes can be easy to miss. Words that are spelled right, but are the wrong word so the spell-catcher misses them. Missing words. It is hard to catch them all over 100,000 words.
This is why a good word processor has the ability to turn on/off each of the five spelling dictionaries per language that are needed:
  • Domain specific spell checking;
  • 500-1,000 most commonly misspelled words. Ideally, user-customization is offered;
  • The 100 most common homophone pairs/triplets, flagging each occurrence as a potential error;
  • 5,000 - 10,000 most common words;
  • The big list --- 100,000+ words. This is run only after the other spell-checkers have cleared the list;

This is also why your grammar checker needs to be able to:
  • Use N-Gram checking;
  • Construct sentence diagrams;

Tools that one usually has to run as stand alone, on a text file are:
  • Concordance creation with frequency data. This picks up correctly spelled wrong words;
  • List of character pairs, triplets, quads, and quins, with frequency data. This picks up strange/unusual occurrences of words. This tool can also be extremely difficult to use effectively. (I used this when writing a book, in English, about the Tao Teh Ching. Picked up every instance where «Teh» and «The» were used incorrectly;

Run all of those, correct the errors they pick up.
Then run them a second time.
Then use a text-to-speech program, to read the document to you. As oft as not, you will hear errors that made it past the other tools that you used.

However, all of those tools are prone to failure, when proofreading your own work. Which is why it is vital to have at least two other people do the proofreading.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
typographic errors, typos