Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 06:15 AM   #181
mlewis78
Addict
mlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Watching a show, whether streamed or on cable, whether on a flat screen TV or a tablet or a phone, is still watching TV.

I know people on facebook who brag about never watching TV and then they tell you about a movie or tv show they are watching on their Apple large screen monitor. That's watching TV. I don't know why they feel superior. It's the same activity.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #182
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yep. Here, when someone mentions watching TV, it's almost always cable TV they mean (or our free national TV which has only two channels, so most people subscribe to a cable TV provider). There are very few streaming services legally available here, Netflix, Amazon, also a couple of local ones (but those are offered by the same cable providers and part of their general subscription plans, so they don't really count) and that's it (unless something's changed recently). So people still think of streaming and TV as two different things.
For me, it depends who I'm talking to. If I think it is someone who uses streaming services, I would say I'm watching a show/series/movie, otherwise it is TV/movie.

If I was watching cable/Direct TV, I would say TV.

If I'm watching a DVD/Bluray, I'm watching a series/movie.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:42 AM   #183
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why should it be more of a hell than to spend a weekend binge-reading?
Because they’re two entirely different activities, even if some of the incidentals are the same? Because one is my favorite activity and I dislike the other?

Golly, first people say that listening to audiobooks (which I love) is the same as reading (which it isn’t). And now watching tv is the same as reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I know people on facebook who brag about never watching TV and then they tell you about a movie or tv show they are watching on their Apple large screen monitor. That's watching TV. I don't know why they feel superior. It's the same activity.
I don’t know why people feel superior about personal entertainment preferences, either. However, I think there’s an assumption that people who say they don’t watch tv are bragging, which is why I’m always careful to add that I never watch television because I don’t like it, and not because I think there’s anything wrong with it. Oddly enough, one thing that keeps me from watching any television at all is that there are too many excellent choices. I wouldn’t know how to choose.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Streaming is not cord cutting. If you cut all cords, you'd hae no Internet and no way to stream. So the term "cord cutting" is rubbish.

I am watching a lot of TV. I plan on watching a movie after lunch. I do have some shows that are finished or finished for the season waiting to be watched and removed from the DVR.

And one thing, if you have HBO or access to the show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, watch the current episode. He does an excellent job talking about covid-19 and the state of it in the United States. It sums up what's going on very well. Better then you get from the news broadcasts. So go watch it if you can.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver from March 29, 2020

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t08gi
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12 AM   #186
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don’t know why people feel superior about personal entertainment preferences, either. However, I think there’s an assumption that people who say they don’t watch tv are bragging, which is why I’m always careful to add that I never watch television because I don’t like it, and not because I think there’s anything wrong with it. Oddly enough, one thing that keeps me from watching any television at all is that there are too many excellent choices. I wouldn’t know how to choose.
I think that many people might tend to make assumptions about those who make a point of saying that they never watch television because they usually don't actually mean never. They usually mean rarely (or even very rarely). Why the need for hyperbole if there's not some sort of implied judgement about what taking part in the activity (however rarely) might say about them?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #187
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Because they’re two entirely different activities, even if some of the incidentals are the same? Because one is my favorite activity and I dislike the other?

Golly, first people say that listening to audiobooks (which I love) is the same as reading (which it isn’t). And now watching tv is the same as reading?
I didn't say it's the same as reading. I said it's almost the same experience. There's a difference.

And yes, for me they're not entirely different activities. Physical exercise is an entirely different activity, for example. Your opinion in that regard may well be different than mine, but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote