Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #136
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Gosh, I am not going to be your hero I'm afraid. I do have a 500 and a 505, but my troubles were getting my 505 registered.

I did finally get it registered, but I never attempted the 500 because I realized they didn't support it. Sorry!!
This era needs more heroes!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #137
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
We all do. - Next job: find out if the PC version supports the PRS-500 under AMD64
That "shouldn't" be a problem. Assuming you are running Windows on that PC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #138
changray
changray began at the beginning.

Device: SONU PRS-505
Quote:
Installed Sony eBook Library 3.0.00.08240_MAC on my G3 Mac running last version of OS X Tiger. The application opens, shows a series of menus. Nothing else. No window(s), nothing. Menus appear not to work - except for quit.
Any other reports?
Speculation: I have calibre installed. could calibre be interfering?
well, I have the same problem as you. but on 10.5.8, intel.
changray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #139
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changray View Post
Someone else had a good idea... I don't know if it was on this thread.

Can you create a new user account on your Mac. Log into that account and then try to install it. See if it works there.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #140
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
I just installed it on my ppc mac mini. I run 2 versions of os x, leopard and tiger on two different drives. They are both patched up to date. The tiger version is working as it should (I haven't rebooted leopard yet). I didn't see this mentioned as a test, but you might try running as a new user or different user and see if it works. You may have something running that conflicts with the sony software and as a different users, that programs won't be running. Just one more idea...good luck.
I tried it as-is on another account on the same machine; it didn't work. Will try installing with that account and see if it works that way in a little bit.

Status Update: that did it! It works! WOOHOO!
Now to see what I can get this to do I am quite aware it won't work with my PRS-500 directly, but could it manage my memory stick books?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by changray View Post
Well, at least I'm not alone
Try RandallFlagg's idea - it worked here - no idea why my main account displayed such abberant behaviour..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Someone else had a good idea... I don't know if it was on this thread.

Can you create a new user account on your Mac. Log into that account and then try to install it. See if it works there.

BOb
It was RandallFlagg
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That "shouldn't" be a problem. Assuming you are running Windows on that PC.

BOb
You'd think so, wouldn't you?
Then I tried it. No go. Guess they haven't ported the PRS-500 code to x64 (still). Will consider putting it on my 32 bit laptop at this rate..

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-25-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Update!!
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #141
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Quote:

Status Update: that did it! It works! WOOHOO!
Now to see what I can get this to do I am quite aware it won't work with my PRS-500 directly, but could it manage my memory stick books?...

Glad to hear it worked. You might be able to run your activity monitor [in the utilities folder...just in case ] and see what programs are running on the user account that won't load. If your like me, I've installed stuff on tiger while learning the mac os. It might give you a clue as to what needs to be turned off or deleted.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #142
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I down loaded the Mac version and I am happy to report a soft landing. I did not experience any problems. And, as Merlot noted in an earlier post
Quote:
Wow you are right. I was checking a book that sold for more than the kindle edition just a few weeks ago and now it's $9.99, which is even lower than the kindle version being sold at $13.22.
I was also happy to find when I checked my wishlist that several books had gone down in price. One in particular went from $19 and change to $9.99. This particular book was not discounted earlier when Sony made their initial announcement about lowering prices on best sellers, so they appear to be selectively reducing prices. I say selectively because other books on my wish list remain unchanged.

All in all a good day for Sony - Mac access and a increasingly more competitive pricing policy.

Last edited by fbrII; 08-25-2009 at 11:55 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #143
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
Glad to hear it worked. You might be able to run your activity monitor [in the utilities folder...just in case ] and see what programs are running on the user account that won't load. If your like me, I've installed stuff on tiger while learning the mac os. It might give you a clue as to what needs to be turned off or deleted.
No need; apparently this reinstall fixed it for the other account too (very interesting indeed).
I placed my memory stick into my handy multi memory card reader/writer and plugged it into my Mac (interestingly, it doesn't work when connected to my keyboard hub due to low power, only when connected directly to the back of the machine; same goes for my Sony Reader!) and it reads the contents of my memory card!
This works similarly under x64 windows.
I guess this is a message to Sony: upgrade the PRS-500 to work without special drivers and with ADE/ePub or people are going to have these problems ad infinitum and if it's their first and subsequently only experience of your Sony Reader product, many future potential customers are going to be turned off....
Oh, by the way Sony, fix your installer

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-26-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #144
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess this is a message to Sony: upgrade the PRS-500 to work without special drivers and with ADE/ePub or people are going to have these problems ad infinitum and if it's their first and subsequently only experience of your Sony Reader product, many future potential customers are going to be turned off....
Well, the bottom line is that Sony never said the Sony 500 (or even 505/700 were compatible with Mac. So, as a 500/505/700 owner you really can't expect it. You just got lucky as a 505/700 and Mac owner.

The 500/600/Other one with undislosed model number are different, they will say "Mac compatible" on the box.

What Sony is doing is for those people that do have a 500 and buy books from the Sony eBook store using the Windows version of the library there will be an "upgrade path" by the end of the year when they convert the store 100% to ePub. Of course, Sony is being very mysterious on what this "upgrade path" is... so it may be yet another trade in offer.

BOb
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #145
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't know if anybody said this already, but there is an function build in (in the Dutch version) that you can buy ebooks of bol.com! (dutch ebooks)
They said they were going to start 1 september, but it is here already =p
tehKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #146
jonkari
jonkari began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
No need; apparently this reinstall fixed it for the other account too (very interesting indeed).

I have been having the same problems. OS 10.5.8. Intel.
I have a 505 although that should now effect installing the program.
I tried your way with a new account and the only thing that changed is that I got a few more Menus but none of the items under them work. No window comes up.
Also like with you it changed in both accounts.

I guess this is so new that they have to work out some kinks.
I also tried their customer service online and got nearly the same answers.

Last edited by jonkari; 08-26-2009 at 12:47 AM.
jonkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #147
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Mac installer worked fine. I appear to have four PCs associated with eBL - which must be a virtual PC hangover. Need to work out how to clear the spare three off now.

Transferring contents of my reader to eBL worked fine - pretty quick in fact. All DRM and DRM stripped books transferred without issue, and both display nicely in eBL. Looks *very* similar to ADE presentation - wonder why

Switching to US store worked fine - my history and credits all appear.

So far all seems very good indeed. Can't wait to play more tonight.

Good job Sony - hope the issues other users have seen are quickly resolved. Really hope it still works with Snow Leopard on Friday!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #148
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkari View Post
I have been having the same problems. OS 10.5.8. Intel.
I have a 505 although that should now effect installing the program.
I tried your way with a new account and the only thing that changed is that I got a few more Menus but none of the items under them work. No window comes up.
Also like with you it changed in both accounts.

I guess this is so new that they have to work out some kinks.
I also tried their customer service online and got nearly the same answers.
My guess is that the installer was somewhat rushed and somehow the installation gets mucked up somehow on "well used" accounts.
It should be their job not ours to fix it.
Send an email to feedback@ebookstore.sony.com stating as explicitly as you can what's happening, versions and hardware specs etc. It may be more marginally useful than their customer service online.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 AM   #149
Nzambi
Nzambi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC (stolen); Sony PRS-600
I also had the same problem with getting the eBook Library to work on my Mac (Intel, 10.5.8). Thanks for letting everyone know about the work-around!

Sony had better fix this; I don't think most consumers want to have to search for answers to why their software doesn't work properly.
Nzambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #150
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I just installed the new software and for some reason when I double click on an LRF file to open it in the Sony Library software nothing happens. I had to manually drag the file into the Library portion to view it. I'm still exploring the settings but you'd think by double clicking the file it would open in the program, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, now it seems to be working??? No clue what I did differently.

Last edited by Amalthia; 08-26-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote