Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Music player with E-paper Display ?

Recently I've been looking for one but I can't seem to find any. Is there any mp3 player with a display like that ? It should fit into a pocket. I just want the display to have no backlight.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
sonic7
sonic7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I think E Ink display will be slow in displaying the music play time~ if it keep refresh then it will be quite high power consumption. Unless you just display the song title without displaying the running time~
sonic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic7 View Post
I think E Ink display will be slow in displaying the music play time~ if it keep refresh then it will be quite high power consumption. Unless you just display the song title without displaying the running time~
Playing audio requires the CPU to run all of the time. It will definitely affect power consumption but I doubt it will be "quite high". Modern units can update a portion of the screen so I doubt that showing time will cost much more than without it since the CPU is running anyway.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
dragon788
dragon788 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glod HD
I think anything with an OLED screen is going to be your best bet for a media player as that is pretty close to e-ink in terms of not having to refresh the whole screen for updates but also having great battery life because blacks don't require any power usage. It will still have a backlight, but should be dimmable. Otherwise you could find an old iPod and replace the disk with a solid state drive and use Rokbox/Rockbox or however it is spelled to replace the default software and enjoy a super long battery life (may need to swap the battery for a newer version as well if it is worn out).

You could also try something like an Adafruit Featherwing with the mp3 shield and a LiPo battery and e-ink display to build your own minimal player. I think maybe one of the screens comes with a d-pad of buttons so you could navigate up and down and have play/pause and another function.

Last edited by dragon788; 09-15-2017 at 06:53 PM.
dragon788 is offline   Reply With Quote