Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
It always astounds me that some want gleefully take something away from folks that kind of need that item. Especially if they themselves not ever have used such item, don't even use that brand period and really have plenty of options for them. Yet, they want to take away the one option, only option out there that has buttons. There is no substitute, none. No other reader has buttons, no other brand nothing. I do not consider the Voyage thingies buttons and the bezels are too small to use them comfortable.

So what am I suppose to do when those like JSWolf sit there smugly in case they do discontinue it. You are going to sit there smugly because you got your way? Even though it doesn't affect you?

Absolutely astounded at this attitude towards others. Finding joy in others misery. And yes, for my hands and wrists it would be misery not having buttons.

I am trying to keep my basic with buttons going just in case. I am trying to be super careful with my Oasis just in case. I am hoping they continue to make either the Oasis or another ergonomically designed one like it for those of us that need it. It would never cross my mind to with others have their favorite readers taken away just to be spiteful.

There is other brands with buttons though. Pocketbook has a bunch with buttons still. Granted they aren't as big name of a brand.

Can I ask how a touch screen hurts your wrist and hands more? Tapping takes zero force. I understand the preference of buttons but I don't understand how the are easier on the wrist.

If the Oasis is going away this opens up the possibility of a new Kindle. Maybe the new one will have buttons or maybe they'll do a Voyage refresh with real buttons too. Who knows.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Bookeen is another tiny brand that has buttons on all of its devices.
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #18
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
There is other brands with buttons though. Pocketbook has a bunch with buttons still. Granted they aren't as big name of a brand.

Can I ask how a touch screen hurts your wrist and hands more? Tapping takes zero force. I understand the preference of buttons but I don't understand how the are easier on the wrist.

If the Oasis is going away this opens up the possibility of a new Kindle. Maybe the new one will have buttons or maybe they'll do a Voyage refresh with real buttons too. Who knows.
Its because my thumb sits right on top of the buttons. I never have to move it. Just slightly press it. Any touch screen, I have to constantly move my thumb over again and again. When you read a lot it pains my joints. then I have to also hold on to the device at the same time I am having to use the thumb now to go into the screen. For me that means 2 handed use or it falls out of my hand as my supporting digit is now moving away from the grip.

For reading, I have to have buttons. I change pages a lot, I read a lot. Not sure how else to describe this. The Voyage keeps falling out of my hand as the bezel is so small that my thumb has to be a bit turned and then I lose the grip and off it goes. I can make do with the Voyage, but I know its there and don't get into the story as much as the Oasis.

As far as those other devices, I never heard of them or seen them. And unless I can order something safely from the US, I wont get it. I also buy my books on amazon and do not really sideload what I read, although I back it up on calibre. I like the syncing with amazon, my collections and all in one place. I do not like to fiddle with my devices and/or books. I also use KU.

eta: I looked up the pocket book and those buttons would be useless. THey are on the bottom, talk about pain. They have to be right where my hand naturally sits when I hold it.

Last edited by Atunah; 08-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #19
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think there were enough Oasis sold to not make JS and others a concern.
Like you I am amazed at the attitudes of some not only on devices but on prices.
I think the price concern is incredibly valid. I'm sure some people found the price worth it. But the Oasis has some weird decisions that at least IMO limited the appeal at that price.

It doesn't have an ambient light sensor for some reason but the Voyage does?

Still only 4GB storage at the same price Apple, who is not exactly known for low prices, would sell you a 16GB iPad Mini 2 along with it's faster processor, more memory and bigger screen. Meanwhile the 32GB Paperwhite is only ~$20 more than the 4GB version. Had the Oasis had 32GB or 64GB of storage I would have considered it even at the crazy $400 Canadian price.

Same 300PPI display too.

But as it stands a PW3 does 90% of what an Oasis does. In Canada a Paperwhite 3 with no ads costs $140. Same as the U.S price. Granted I bet Amazon loses a little on this or something but it did make the Oasis look like even worse of a value to me.

I think it was just too similar to PW3 and Voyage for most people while not being premium enough to explain the added cost. A product has to be worth it's price for people to buy it.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-10-2017 at 02:33 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please post the link on which you saw that because it is not true on Amazon-USA:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00REQKWGA..._k_ods_eink_wy
and:
https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&no...ods_fs_erdr_cp
https://www.amazon.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.png
Views:	239
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	158356

It was in the banner that changes. It may or may not be there. But when I posted the message, it was there.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-10-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Like Atunah, I don't understand all the spite heaped on the Oasis. You don't like it, don't buy it. Why does it irk you that other people like the Oasis? I personally think that its design and the buttons are brilliant and that's the reason I bought it. The price is a bit much, I admit it. But I could afford it at the time and have not regretted buying it.

Speaking of awful designs, Kobo Aura One would be the most terrible I've seen recently. Those tiny bezels that go with its big screen, I would never be able to hold the thing. But I don't go around abusing the KA. Clearly there are people who love it, so, good for them. And no, this fact doesn't arouse any feelings of animosity in me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Its because my thumb sits right on top of the buttons. I never have to move it. Just slightly press it. Any touch screen, I have to constantly move my thumb over again and again. When you read a lot it pains my joints. then I have to also hold on to the device at the same time I am having to use the thumb now to go into the screen. For me that means 2 handed use or it falls out of my hand as my supporting digit is now moving away from the grip.

For reading, I have to have buttons. I change pages a lot, I read a lot. Not sure how else to describe this. The Voyage keeps falling out of my hand as the bezel is so small that my thumb has to be a bit turned and then I lose the grip and off it goes. I can make do with the Voyage, but I know its there and don't get into the story as much as the Oasis.
But for the touch screen, you don't have to use your thumb. You can use your index finger of the other hand. Can you please explain how that's a problem? I do understand how using your thumb (to touch the screen) on the hand that's holding the Reader can be a problem.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-10-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #24
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Like Atunah, I don't understand all the spite heaped on the Oasis. You don't like it, don't buy it. Why does it irk you that other people like the Oasis? I personally think that its design and the buttons are brilliant and that's the reason I bought it. The price is a bit much, I admit it. But I could afford it at the time and have not regretted buying it.

Speaking of awful designs, Kobo Aura One would be the most terrible I've seen recently. Those tiny bezels that go with its big screen, I would never be able to hold the thing. But I don't go around abusing the KA. Clearly there are people who love it, so, good for them. And no, this fact doesn't arouse any feelings of animosity in me.
And just the other day I was thinking the bezels on my KAO could be smaller...

I don't find it particularly tough to hold. The bezels are bigger than the iPad Minis and it's pretty light. It's still easier to hold than a similarly sized trade or hardcover. And it weighs less than an Oasis in the battery cover.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And just the other day I was thinking the bezels on my KAO could be smaller...

Seriously, it's really nice to live in the time of so many options. Everyone can find something that suits them.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #26
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But for the touch screen, you don't have to use your thumb. You can use your index finger of the other hand. Can you please explain how that's a problem? I do understand how using your thumb (to touch the screen) on the hand that's holding the Reader can be a problem.
Seriously? You think reaching over with my whole arm to the right side over and over 1000's of time a day is easier than having my thumb just sit on a button? really? You know how many times my arms joints would have to move over and over again? I relax one hand/arm/wrist while I read with the other. Then I switch.

I don't need to explain anything to you. You won't really care anyway as you only base anything you do and say on how it is for you. I am not you. I cannot hold a reader while changing pages with a touch screen. Period. Its not secure in my hand anymore. I only have one thumb, if I move it, device falls out.

I don't know why you care so much about how others read. Especially when it comes to kindles. You don't have any, you don't want any. Why don't you keep swiping around on your Kobo. You don't see me dissing you for it or wanting gleefully the company to never making any kobo devices again so you can't have any anymore.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I know I have different opinions. But, I am interested because I know my opinions are not for everyone. I don't need buttons. But I am interested in finding out why some need buttons.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Could we make things a little less personal, please? Jon's entitled to think (and say) that he considers the Oasis to be poorly designed and overpriced (nor is he the only one in this thread to have expressed that opinion). I see no evidence of his rejoicing that some disabled people might not be able to buy the perfect device.

There's a lot of unwarranted projecting going on here. Defend a device all you want and describe how it uniquely fits your needs, but allow others their own opinions, also.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't need buttons. But I am interested in finding out why some need buttons.
As for me, I don't exactly need them as in "cannot read without them". But I prefer them to touchscreens. My hands tend to sweat often and leave fingerprints and smudges. It bothers me so much that I cannot concentrate on my reading. For me, buttons on my e-readers are a must-have.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #30
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I think the price concern is incredibly valid. I'm sure some people found the price worth it. But the Oasis has some weird decisions that at least IMO limited the appeal at that price.

It doesn't have an ambient light sensor for some reason but the Voyage does?

Still only 4GB storage at the same price Apple, who is not exactly known for low prices, would sell you a 16GB iPad Mini 2 along with it's faster processor, more memory and bigger screen. Meanwhile the 32GB Paperwhite is only ~$20 more than the 4GB version. Had the Oasis had 32GB or 64GB of storage I would have considered it even at the crazy $400 Canadian price.

Same 300PPI display too.

But as it stands a PW3 does 90% of what an Oasis does. In Canada a Paperwhite 3 with no ads costs $140. Same as the U.S price. Granted I bet Amazon loses a little on this or something but it did make the Oasis look like even worse of a value to me.

I think it was just too similar to PW3 and Voyage for most people while not being premium enough to explain the added cost. A product has to be worth it's price for people to buy it.
I wasn't talking about the price of the Oasis per se, but the price of anything.
Here are a couple of recent examples. The Oasis is overpriced. Or an overpriced useless device.
Ebook prices are too high. Publishers overprice their ebooks because it doesn't take any work to make one.
"Cotton yarn is way overpriced right now. They need to reduce the price."
Note: that comment was made during a 2 year drought in cotton country. Hence there was not much US cotton.
Pick any new product and you can find people complaining that the price is too high and the seller knows nothing.
On the used market, there are people that do overprice. Then wonder why they can't sell a used $10 Walmart toaster for $14.99. (Not a vintage toaster, one they still sell today. )
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote