Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
HELP with error: "Status Bar Stopped Unexpectedly..."

Oh man...I've had a slough of problems this morning. Hopefully someone can help with this one.

My Vox was sleeping, then woke up by itself, froze - and then I had to do a hard re-set. Upon powering back up, I got this error message:

"Sorry - the application 'Status Bar (process.com.android.systemui) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again'.

And then I see the Force Close button.

When I press Force Close, then a 'Loading...' message appears (surrounded by a grey box). Vox is trying to load my library, but is unable to.

I can get to my apps screen and all apps I've tried...just no Kobo Library. I think I've seen this posted here before, so I am going to do a little checking around, but if anyone has a quick solution, I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Last edited by pokee; 11-22-2011 at 06:34 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Okay - quick update:

I was able to identify that the 'loading...' (aka hanging) box was the Mosiac widget trying to load (but it can't). So I dragged into the trash and then I just get a blank screen (wallpaper) with nothing else but my apps at the bottom.

The 5 books widget is now missing and my library still won't load.

When I try to add back the 5 books widget, I get the same 'loading' error box that won't go away unless I trash it. I briefly get the same original error when I try to load my Kobo library books.

I am guessing I have two options:

1. WiFi at home will re-load my library and resolve the error (but can't test till I get home from work).

2. The dreaded factory reset....

Last edited by pokee; 11-18-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Pokee - it sounds like maybe your sign in has been lost. Try clearing Kobo application data. The next time you relaunch Kobo it *should* take you into the Setup app where you will need to sign in again. If the Setup does not launch, open in manually from the Settings app. Not sure why the status bar would crash, unless it has to do with the Reading Life stats notification in the notification area. But try this and let me know...

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic

When you say, 'try clearing Kobo application data' - what do you mean? Should I be going into 'manage apps' and trying to kill a running application? Or do you mean clear cache in the Kobo app?

I will need WiFi to re-run set-up, so I won't be able to try that for several more hours...

Last edited by pokee; 11-18-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
pokee: Go into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, then go into "All Applications". In there, scroll down until you see the Kobo App and select it. It should show details as to whether the program's running (allowing you to force stop), and there should be a set of buttons below that labelled "Clear Cache" and "Clear Data". Using "Clear Data" deletes all the settings and restore the application to a freshly-installed state unless you've been mucking around the file system.

After that, it'll need to run the Kobo setup again, as you've deleted your login info.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic

Tried it...didn't work. But oddly enough...the set up still had my data, even though it told me I needed to run setup...my date.time, userid was still there even though clear data was successful.

Another interesting tidbit: Since I now have wifi access, I am getting a slightly different error message: The application Kobo (com.kobo.pegasus.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. There is another message that flashes before this message, but flashes too quickly for me to read but I think it is something about a cconnection error or an error with the kobo server.

The other difference with wifi is that I can now see my battery level and time...without it, I have no status bar.

I am pretty sure no one will have a solution for me and I will have to do a factory reset...but what really chaps my ass is that I did nothing to cause this besides trying to do a hard reset (after being locked trying to wake from sleep) in a location with no wifi.

I'll wait a couple more days to see if I get any suggestions by Kobo staff by Monday...thank goodness everything else besides the kobo library, bookstore and readinglife are working. But by Monday I'll have no choice but to factory reset. I only have a week left to exchange this thing at the store if it's screwed...

Hope someone here has a solution though...there's major karma in it for you if you solve this puzzle!!!!! How's that for a challenge?

Last edited by pokee; 11-18-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, if solving it will make you happy and have you reading instead of posting LOL. Did you reset the Kobo app from the top choice in your setting menu?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Well, if solving it will make you happy and have you reading instead of posting LOL. Did you reset the Kobo app from the top choice in your setting menu?
Yep...set up was successful...several times. Even tried to log in again...no changes. Seems very similar to problems I had with my Kobo wifi (where db gets corrupted and you cannot see any of your books even though they are on your device). I think the factory reset was a self-fulfilling prophecy or something....like I willed it to happen...sheesh!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I had the same problem, and a factory reset fixed it, with no reoccurence in 3 weeks.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I had the same problem, and a factory reset fixed it, with no reoccurence in 3 weeks.
Did you have the same error messages I am getting?

...and what is the best way to do a factory reset? Is the menu option best?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #11
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Did you have the same error messages I am getting?

...and what is the best way to do a factory reset? Is the menu option best?
I was getting the same error, and none of my books or the library period would open. Pry off the back cover (don't be scared, my backing fits BETTER since!), and push in the little round button. Should work, unless you have a hardware issue.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I was getting the same error, and none of my books or the library period would open. Pry off the back cover (don't be scared, my backing fits BETTER since!), and push in the little round button. Should work, unless you have a hardware issue.
I already tried that...it does not do a factory reset...only reboots. I think it is called a 'basic reset' - but this documentation does not look specific to the Vox...just a guess, considering it did not wipe out my Vox to it's original settings:

http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde...0my%20eReader?

Still trying out how to do a true factory reset. Can't seem to find that documented anywhere. It's a trade secret, obviously!

Last edited by pokee; 11-19-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
UofG2000
UofG2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
process.com.android.systemui

Hi,

Same issue new this morning. Battery ran out of power overnight. Turning on this morning got the process.com.android.systemui error. This means the top toolbar with battery indicator, time and wifi are not displayed and the kobo library does not appear.

We fixed the library not appearing by deleting the Kobo data as suggested in the previous post, powered off, reconfigured the Kobo setup, and it then properly displayed our Kobo library.

However the top toolbar is still missing with time, battery, etc. and the error still appears after a power off, the Kobo library remains displayed.

Have not done a reset yet.
UofG2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Pokee - most Kobo staff are pretty used to working weekends, so no need to wait until monday

Did you clear data and cache? Just wondering if something is hanging around. Could you also try to log in with a different account when you go through set up? Create a new one (assuming you have a spare email) and see what happens...

Let me know,
James

p.s. will on and off line today, so I may not respond immediately
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Pokee - most Kobo staff are pretty used to working weekends, so no need to wait until monday

Did you clear data and cache? Just wondering if something is hanging around. Could you also try to log in with a different account when you go through set up? Create a new one (assuming you have a spare email) and see what happens...

Let me know,
James

p.s. will on and off line today, so I may not respond immediately
Haha - funny you mention the 'different' user. I tried that!!! I think there was a bug with 'clear data'. It LOOKS like data is cleared when you clear it in the Kobo app, but when you actually go into set-up, all data is still there. So that's when I tried a different user. Set-up completes fine again, but somehow the software thinks set-up has not completed and will not load 'pegasus' app so I can get into my library or kobo book store.

It really reminds me of DB corruption issues I'd had previously with my Kobo WiFi - where only a factory reset resolves.

So...I did the reset. Easier to do that and just re-download my apps. Besides, I figured it was a good exercise, since I knew I'd probably have to do it again down the road, just as I've done with my Kobo WiFi...