Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-31-2017, 08:17 AM   #46
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I mentioned it again because you mentioned double converting and Mobi as the end format.
Still the third time is the charm.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 AM   #47
asteer
asteer began at the beginning.

Device: generic kindle
sorry - I stopped it after 60 hours - no update - nada - unfortunately it is a fixed layout epub - with a linked ToC with more than 50 entries - so I changed that to 500 in the settings in the ToC. I wasn't sure what was meant by "insert links if less than 6 chapters detected" - does that mean it won't insert any links if there are more than 6 chapters? - I have set this to 100. Also client really wants mobi - not kf8.
Kindlegen seems to scramble teh page order. My chapters are well-defined - headings set with styles, etc.
asteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #48
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteer View Post
unfortunately it is a fixed layout epub
... fixed layout means EPUB3 and is not EPUB2. Why do you try to convert a EPUB3 with calibre? calibre was never designed to do that ...

Edit:
Never mind. I thought this information was in the manual available. It isn't.

@Kovid,
maybe it is worth to put a information regarding EPUB2 and EPUB3 somewhere into the manual. Guess, this situations will happen in the future more often. For a normal user/reader this isn't a known fact and a little hint in the manual is useful.

Last edited by Divingduck; 09-01-2017 at 04:49 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:49 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you had said it was a fixed layout ePub 3 in the beginning, we would have just told you to stop the conversion and forget about it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #50
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DD: calibre converts EPUB 3 just fine. The only thing it cannot convert is fixed layout books, whether they are azw3 or epub 3. And if it becomes common enough, it can be added to the FAQ.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #51
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Good to know. I wasn't aware (well, maybe a bit) that you implement EPUB 3 already partial. FAQ is a good place
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #52
asteer
asteer began at the beginning.

Device: generic kindle
ok - so how can I convert epub3 to kindle?
and wouldn't it be a good idea to throw up some sort of flag if calibre can't do this?
And my question about the toc chapter links?
" I wasn't sure what was meant by "insert links if less than 6 chapters detected" - does that mean it won't insert any links if there are more than 6 chapters? "
asteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteer View Post
ok - so how can I convert epub3 to kindle?
and wouldn't it be a good idea to throw up some sort of flag if calibre can't do this?
And my question about the toc chapter links?
" I wasn't sure what was meant by "insert links if less than 6 chapters detected" - does that mean it won't insert any links if there are more than 6 chapters? "
It's not so much that you cannot convert ePub 3. Most ePub 3 will convert to KF8 just fine. Fixed layout ePub 3 will not convert and you'll have to forget reading it on your Kindle.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #54
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
A fixed layout EPUB is more-or-less equivalent to a PDF. If you can "print" the document to a PDF file then you can view it on your Kindle, but it won't be a fun experience. Unless the document is already laid out for a small screen you will need to zoom and scroll around each page make them readable.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:57 PM   #55
Pasha777
Pasha777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindlegen is run from the command line. It does not have a GUI. You you need to open a command line to use Kindlegen.

kindlegen source.epub -c1 -o destination.mobi

That's the command you'd use. obviously changing the filenames as appropriate. You have to either have Kindlegen in your path or in the same directory as the ePub. You should be in the same directory as the ePub.
Thank you! It worked in my case (also was stuck at 47% with Calibre).
Pasha777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 05:58 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha777 View Post
Thank you! It worked in my case (also was stuck at 47% with Calibre).
What version of Calibre are you running? What Kindle do you have? If it's a Kindle that can handle KF8 (AZW3), then you can convert ePub to AZW3 (KF8).

Glad my instructions worked for you.